• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Whirling Sound From Engine?

I don't quite know how to describe this but my CTR has recently started to sound abit odd. The engine now makes a whirling sound and doesn't sound no where near as smooth as it was.

What could this be?

I think you're gonna have to be a little more specific Ralphy.

When does this occur? When it's hot? cold? what RPM? in gear ? out of gear???

At least give us a fighting chance...

Doesn't matter what gear i'm in or what engine speed. As soon as the throttle is blipped the engine makes this annoying whirling sound.

Are CTR's chain cams?? I can only think the drive belt is making this noise????

Cheers mate.

Embarrassing as it sounds, where is the alternator belt? I'm not much of a mechanic. :oops:

Ralphy said:
Cheers mate.

Embarrassing as it sounds, where is the alternator belt? I'm not much of a mechanic. :oops:

Its the black belt (there's only 1 belt on the CTR engine) just behind the drivers headlight. :wink: Don't stick your finger in it! :wink: :lol: :lol:

Took it to the stealers today, the technician said he can clearly hear the whine from the engine too.

Car is booked in to be looked at for 2 days. Alternator pulley he reckons?

Yeah cheers buddy!

I asked if he thought it was the belt but he said no, probally one of the pulleys.

Mines just started to do the same(05 plate, 20k)

I know the CTR has a bit of a whine as per norm but this is totally different and as I was thinking maybe its the alternator pulley because when you stick the mirror heaters,rear demist on ect it seems to get worse.

I take it this would be covered under warranty?

TIA

Nick

Under no circumstances put wd40 on drive belts, I nearly feinted reading that!

It's like greasing a bearing with sand.

Wear on alternator bearings at these ages is unlikely (not impossible), damp on a pulley can make a real noise until they dry off through use. Are these problems on cars kept out over night - does it keep whining all the time?

Mine is garaged every night and yes the whine is now constant and is getting worse.
Its definately one of the pulleys, either that or the belt is too tight.
Just cant be ar5ed to take it into the stealers at the mo :roll:

Nick

Neily03 said:
BigRed said:

Why?? :?

Drive belts are of rubberised and or nylon construction and rely on surface contact (friction) so as not to slip. Any lubricant will interfere with such surface friction. Also, oils rot rubbers and nylons.

Most whirring noises are due to damp which quickly disappear when warmed up. Some are due to worn belts and bearings.

BigRed said:
Neily03 said:
BigRed said:

Drive belts are of rubberised and or nylon construction and rely on surface contact (friction) so as not to slip. Any lubricant will interfere with such surface friction. Also, oils rot rubbers and nylons.

Most whirring noises are due to damp which quickly disappear when warmed up. Some are due to worn belts and bearings.

WD40 gets rid of damp. It worked on mine when it was whining at tickover, one quick squirt and it went. That was about 20k miles ago and its been fine since. :eek:

Neily03 said:
BigRed said:
Neily03 said:
BigRed said:

WD40 gets rid of damp. It worked on mine when it was whining at tickover, one quick squirt and it went. That was about 20k miles ago and its been fine since. :eek:

A teeny weeny squirt won't cause problems but WD40 is oil based (obviously :!: ) and it displaces water because of that quality. Over time, it will cause slipping and shorten belt life.

Still, seems to have been ok in your case - just wouldn't do it regularly :wink:

BigRed said:
Neily03 said:
BigRed said:
Neily03 said:
BigRed said:

A teeny weeny squirt won't cause problems but WD40 is oil based (obviously :!: ) and it displaces water because of that quality. Over time, it will cause slipping and shorten belt life.

Still, seems to have been ok in your case - just wouldn't do it regularly :wink:

IMO to cause problems you'd have to regularlary (sp? :lol: ) oil it, like weekly or something.... a bit of WD if it starts to whine won't do any harm, its probably all gone within 500 miles...

Neily03 said:
BigRed said:
Neily03 said:
BigRed said:
Neily03 said:
BigRed said:

IMO to cause problems you'd have to regularlary (sp? :lol: ) oil it, like weekly or something.... a bit of WD if it starts to whine won't do any harm, its probably all gone within 500 miles...

OK then, I made it up for a laugh.

Back