• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

White gunk in oil

My ctr was feeling a little 'lumpy' at low revs, so I thought I would do a couple of basic checks. Glad I did as under the oil filler cap is some white gunk. I assume that my newly fitted second hand AEM CAI did not have an oiled filter and somehow water has got in. My plan is tomorrow to replace the oil and oil filter (and the AEM filter) But will this sort out the engine? What else should I do, there isnt a lot of this crap in there from what I can see but do I need to flush it out or something? Please help, I am allergic to high garage fees...

Well having read a few horror stories about water and the AEM CAI, I have not been within 20 feet of a puddle (yet) so I am suprised to see the problem. It just seemed like an obvious thing to blame! I did have the Valve timings done a couple of months ago though, is it possible that they could have damaged the head gasket?

Well having read a few horror stories about water and the AEM CAI, I have not been within 20 feet of a puddle (yet) so I am suprised to see the problem. It just seemed like an obvious thing to blame! I did have the Valve timings done a couple of months ago though, is it possible that they could have damaged the head gasket?

I maybe wrong but I didn't think the air side mixed with the oil. It could be condensation from lots of short journeys

To be honest I don't know either, Perhaps a trip to my mate the mechanic is in order....

From what i know and read about this mate that White residue under the oil cap is a classic symptom of a cylinder head gasket failure mate! I would definately get it checked from a garage!

Exhaust is a little smokey, re-reading shaenei's post he mentions short journeys. Most of mine are short, Im a lazy c-nut, and my engines barely warm when i get to work! could that mean it is condensation from the CAI? Its surely a cheaper fix than the gasket. Anyone know how I could find out?

Yeah it can be water but when there's white gunk in the oil then it's time to start worrying.

OP, I'd get a compression test done if I were you.

And I'd stop worrying about the CAI. That is sucking air with any moisture into cylinders to mix with the petrol to make the bang that pushes the rods down, crank then the fly/clutch/gearbox.

Your oil is in the bottom and the top of your engine and is away from the air coming into the cylinders. The bit about moisture you are talking about is hydrolock which is where water gets sucked into the cylinders. Water cannot be then compressed in the suck, squeeze, bang, blow cycle and the engine goes bang. There needs to be a lot of water for it to do this, infact you would need to completely submerge the end including filter on the CAI.

This is a completely different symptom from what you have.

K20's have a strong headgasket so it would have had to some serious abuse for it to go.

I'm going for condensation causeing the water/oil mixture.

Check your coolant levels and mark the level with a felt tip. Clean the cap off and check it in a week as well as your coolant level.

Been thinking about this thread in the shower. :oops:

I seem to remember having heard before of people getting condensation in the oil when they have a breather filter fitted as below.

htup_0712_18_z+1996_honda_civic_si+k20_carbon_fiber_valve_cover_breather_filter.jpg

Have you connected the hose from your breather pipe on the rocker cover to your CAI correctly? If not it could be sucking moisture into the rocker cover and therefore this could be the issue.

Should I still replace the oil and filter, or will it just sort it self out?

If it is condensation it will burn off with a good run, also if it's due to short journey's it'll still happen to the new oil so there's no much point imo.

Back