• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

White gunk in oil

The Gunk goes after a long drive, but after a couple of days of short journeys to and from work, its back. do you think that if it were the HG it wouldn't clear up at all then?

The Gunk goes after a long drive, but after a couple of days of short journeys to and from work, its back. do you think that if it were the HG it wouldn't clear up at all then?

This is certainly just the short journeys. Mine's exactly the same. Nothing to worry about at all.

You'd KNOW if it was HGF. Plus it's so rare to happen on the K20.

Im probably a bit paranoid! I've only just climbed out of debt but life keeps emptying my wallet! My boilers just broken down and my wife has just told me she is pregnant (woohoo!!) Oh and I live in England, where it seems these days that money just does not exist!

I make a short journey to work also, for both my jobs, but saying that, the temp gauge is just on the operating temp mark as i arrive. I try to make sure it is as I know frequent, short journeys aren't good. However, I havn't noticed any white gunk and normally check engine etc every weekend. I also give it a good run at some point during every week to, well, give it a good run!

Fill the coolant up (is you haven't already), take it on a good old drive (ideally 40 mins+), keep an eye on the temp gauge hopefully it'll look normal. When you get back check the exhaust, there should be no steam coming out, checking this on a moist or cold day is good as thats when it'll show up best. Then let the car cool and check the coolant level once more, it should be same if you top it up when cold then check it when cold.

If all the above looks ok it's highly unlikely to be the headgasket.

hows the car feeling now? I have similar ' lumpy at low revs ' problem to you but at higher revs.

Back