• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FN2 Why are these cars so greedy?

Ok before I start I didn't have a 1.0 corsa before it lol I'm asking a serious question ...I know it's a 200 bhp 2.0 but in the past 5 years iv had a Clio 172 and more recently an Astra vxr now the question I ask is the type r on the motorway Only manages about 31mpg at a push and around the streets about 24-26 mpg but even my vxr was getting about 38 maybe more mpg on the motorway and my Clio got about 40mpg on the motorway, is it the lack of torque or is there an explanation for it? As I said iv had cars before just like it all my days and never had one that offers such poor mpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah well I got it from Arnold Clark on feb and they said its due a service in October but I then went and got an oil filter change done a week after having it, and it's completely standard too! I said to the mrs before we got it I'm thinking it will be around the same to run as the vxr maybe better as it has less horses, but it really does only average around 24 maybe less on the streets, I don't drive much maybe about 80 miles a week but we filled her up last week to go to the caravan and it was a round motorway trip of 140 miles went to the station filled it back up when home to see how much it cost and it was about 34 pounds to refill

They are quite low geared to take into account the 8k redline.

8,200 in 2nd doesn't quite get you to 60 mph.

There are a few things you can do to improve the mpg like a remap or low rolling resistance tyres, but you'd be hard pushed to make back your money at the pumps.

BHP has got nothing to do with it really, I was running 258 and averaged 28. My old car was undoubtedly chucking in more fuel at wide open throttle, but your part throttle map on the OEM tune would be where you'd benefit from a remap.

Just make sure none of your brakes are binding, your tyres are correctly inflated and just enjoy it. It is what it is, round town they can be thirsty.

Yeah well that's why i said iv had cars just like it coz I know what to expect and iv seen it all before but the car was a lot more thirsty than any of the previous that I didn't expect and was wondering what other people averaged

I do enjoy it great car and I'm enjoying it but was curious as to why the type r is worse than other hot hatches iv owned without sounding like a moaning wee granny lol

I do enjoy it great car and I'm enjoying it but was curious as to why the type r is worse than other hot hatches iv owned without sounding like a moaning wee granny lol

I quite easily get 38-40mpg on the motorway in mine and that's with 19's. The rear brakes are prone to binding on our cars so would be worth a check.

Well the first time driving it in the morning or after work at night when I brake it sounds crunchy but it goes away after 5 minutes .. What do you think? I knew ****** wasn't right as 38-40 mpg on the motorway sounds exactly like I expected

I find the civic to be not too bad on fuel in my experience. I do 300 miles a week which is A road and a very small amount of dual carriageway. I manage about 300 to 340 out of a 50 quid fill up. This isn't too bad I feel.

Well the first time driving it in the morning or after work at night when I brake it sounds crunchy but it goes away after 5 minutes .. What do you think? I knew ****** wasn't right as 38-40 mpg on the motorway sounds exactly like I expected

The best way to check is to raise the rear wheels off the ground with the handbrake off and spin the wheel. If it spins freely then the brakes are ok. If it has resistance, the brakes are binding.

Ok thanks guys Its my first honda ever in 11 years driving must say I'm enjoying it but untill now the form has been a bit slow minus the few who chat on it apreciate the help!

Could be that the engine has to be worked harder than you are used to coming from turbos. Therefore you're driving it harder to get what feels like the same level of performance.

It definitely sounds like something is wrong. We have had an Astra vxr and it was nowhere near our ep3s for fuel economy. Both of which get around 36 mpg in mixed driving of 10%/90% town/motorway (admittedly with very little vtec). +1 on rear brakes being the culprit.

I am getting 20 mpg max and have had the car for 2 months now. Not sure if this is normal

Back