• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Why is this like this?

Hello people

Just a bit annoyed on what has the previous owner has done to the car

There's joint air hose is missing and some sort of tape warped around something

Thanks lads
I had a look in my car and everything all connected,this is my mates car and spotted this,didnt seem right
He's been driving this for 8 month
Is this safe?

Not really, it's drawing in unfiltered air where the breather isn't connected to the intake pipe.

That bit snaps off a lot...

It's the bit on top of 9 on here: https://www.lingshondaparts.com/hon...1&block_02=E__1501&block_03=9726&block_05=hcr

and you can't buy it on it's own. You can put a better hose on the top and blank off the breather to the intake so it's not drawing unfiltered air.

Loxy, the stub that's broken of from the water/temp/valve??? the bit that you can't buy separately, is it some device to allow more air in when the engine is cold so it idles faster and as it warms up it closes off the "extra" air? Is that correct- ish?

Crowds

No, it's to purge air generated in the water pump when the pump is swirling the coolant around.

No, it's to purge air generated in the water pump when the pump is swirling the coolant around.

Err... No. Coolant system is a sealed and pressurised unit. The only way you'll get air into it is by boiling the coolant.
It's a cold air assist valve. If you took the manifold off, you'd see the air would enter from the pipe into a cavity on the cylinder head. There's very small pin holes above the injectors where the air would then be drawn in. As the coolant warms up, it closes this valve.
It's not really needed. It helps with emissions on cold start up.

Err... No. Coolant system is a sealed and pressurised unit. The only way you'll get air into it is by boiling the coolant.
It's a cold air assist valve. If you took the manifold off, you'd see the air would enter from the pipe into a cavity on the cylinder head. There's very small pin holes above the injectors where the air would then be drawn in. As the coolant warms up, it closes this valve.

Everyday is a school day.

Goes to show you shouldn't believe everything you read on forums because I got my nugget from on here. :lol:

I always thought the IACV did that, just read up now and as you say, idle air assist valve does the same job...

It's not a very good idea. I can only think that the air being drawn in right above the injector helps with fuel mixture when on cold start for better emissions. The IACV is capable of sorting out the idle on cold start.

Umm, that's what I presumed from looking at it ? :confused:
Crowds

Loxy, the stub that's broken of from the water/temp/valve??? the bit that you can't buy separately, is it some device to allow more air in when the engine is cold so it idles faster and as it warms up it closes off the "extra" air? Is that correct- ish?

Crowds

Hi mate are you referring the second picture where there's a tape wrapped around the hose?
I'm not sure why is that taped up

Back