• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Why so popular with young people?

I was just wondering why so many young people buy Type-R's? I'm really surprised that there are so many around. No doubt most young people buy them second-hand but still, they would cost about £6000 >, not to mention the insurance and running costs. How is it that they seem to afford them?

I was just wondering why so many young people buy Type-R's? I'm really surprised that there are so many around. No doubt most young people buy them second-hand but still, they would cost about £6000 >, not to mention the insurance and running costs. How is it that they seem to afford them?
Because in todays terms £6000 isn't really a lot of money for car. A brand Ford Fiesta costs more. Why are they so popular?? Do you really have to ask? Insurance can be got around by going down as a named driver. Running costs aren't all that high IMO.

Yeah, you're right. If they are put down as a named driver, then it would be cheaper, as their parents would probably pay. But it's got to be pretty heavy on petrol, especially if it's an urban run.

A younger owner with a reasonable salary living with parents has a much more flexible attitude to his/her disposable income. :lol: :lol:

£2k insurance on a car being paid for on a 3 year loan is acceptable to alot of people.

These banks will give anyone loans nowadays so it helps kids get into these sorts of cars.

They can't afford houses so they might as well spend it on something. :D

These banks will give anyone loans nowadays so it helps kids get into these sorts of cars.

They can't afford houses so they might as well spend it on something. :D
Exactly. I could afford to buy a house but the way I live my life probably means I couldn't afford the up-keep on one. Hence why I ploughed my money into buying a Scoob instead.

And since when can a house do 150mph+ ;)

Because they are a cheap affordable car and cheap to run.

Why do so many old people buy Rovers?

Why do so many old people buy Rovers?
Because they remind them of their houses...

1054411444.jpg

Exactly. I could afford to buy a house but the way I live my life probably means I couldn't afford the up-keep on one. Hence why I ploughed my money into buying a Scoob instead.

And since when can a house do 150mph+ ;)

I thought it was 142mph? ;)

I thought it was 142mph? ;)

Splitting hairs, but I think a CTR is capable of 146mph in stock form. ;) :lol:

And I suspect Liam was referring to the awesome Scooby Type RA Spec C that he purchased - 150mph no worries. ;)

Work Hard, Play Hard! + still living with paraents parents helps.:) + credit cards with 0% APR.

Got mine at 22 with a 10K loan from my bank. 1K for insurance. I earn a fair amount so can afford to pay back the monthly repayments, my rent and petrol/costs. For its price, you can't get much better with less hassle. That's why so many of the "youth of today" go for it.

The real reason that young people are willing to spend so much on a car is that compared to houses they're very very cheap. The same happens in Japan. Houses are such a silly price that moving away from home is very difficult on anything other than a very decent salary, as such young people buy quick cars with their disposable income.

I am 22 and just bought 1 2 weeks ago. Before this i had a 52 plate Octavia vRS and decided i didnt like it. Im glad a bought a CTR and im only paying £915 fully comp on my own insurance anyways so im well happy :D
I do live at home with parents at the moment but i only have a £3000 bank loan, all the rest was my hard earned saved money!:)

damm £915 on insurance on your own who that with? i pay £800 through my dad and me as named driver with directline to claim my own ncb and i am 24 goin on 25 in october.

any way i got my ctr in april, its a 03 plate took out honda finance for 11k which included this plan that if i break my ctr within 5 years i will get the full 10300 i paid for it. i am paying £228 a month and i just pay my mum n dad rent but moving in with girlfriend after christmas so see how it goes when i do that.

but all in all if u drive your ctr sensible you dont go through that much petrol i can make £15 last all week when am just goin round town so not too bad.

only thing that happens like me is i need a service and brakes and road tax in january so gotta save round about £600 while saving for christmas, but that just life i suppose.

still no regrets from buying it tho and hopefully get a 2nd hand fd2 after i paid this type r off by 2011 :)

ohh the joys of a type r :)

Although I havent got my CTR yet I checked out the insurance and the best I got from a main insurer was £915 from direct line. I'm 24 with 2 yrs NCB. I thought that was ok - less than I thought.

Back