• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Will remap improve fuel economy?

Hi guys, I'm asking what iv wrote basically, has anyone here remapped there ep3 and if so have you noticed any improvements in fuel economy? Any help appreciated ;)

Yeah i am getting about 20 to 30 miles more out of a tank if i drive normal but that wee voice is allways there to put the foot down.

It lowers the vtec point, am not sure what or how they do it but mine kicks in at 4800rpm.

Even if it does, you'll burn more fuel, because of
funny-pics-10_zps49bd3e11.jpg

I think driving nicely is the key here as I'm not expecting miracles while using v-tec lol. Ok I'll definitely consider it then as the nearest place good with jap cars is tgm motorsports who are an hour away and didn't really want to drive there if I was only going to get a small increase :)

I went from rarely getting more 220 miles to over 300, sometimes 280 depending on how much vtecage :)

lower vtec, more MPG, higher rev limit.... get it done ;)

Honda leave the K20 running rich from the factory, by mapping and thusly making the fuel usage more efficient yes you'll gain MPG.

VTEC will lose the marketing gimmick kick down, but to coin a well used phrase "you'll gain more usable power across the rev range". Engagement of VTEC will occur at the most efficient point of the map based on your modifications (if any).

I'm not getting mine done anymore, yes you gain more bhp, torque, launch control etc, but you lose the main thing that makes vtec what it is, that vtec bang! You're just turning the car into a normal quick car !

Not here to argue before you assume that.
I know if I went in one of your cars with kpro / k100 id like it.
I still have my k100, 421 mani etc but reckon I'm going to sell

I'm not getting mine done anymore, yes you gain more bhp, torque, launch control etc, but you lose the main thing that makes vtec what it is, that vtec bang! You're just turning the car into a normal quick car !

The main thing when VTEC kicks in?

Oh you mean the dip in torque and BHP before the power kicks in....

Nice alternative view. So after a remap, you no longer get that VTEC kick?

the "kick" is a gimmick Honda mapped in... a properly tuned car wont have the dip in bhp you feel

i dont see why people like the kick to be honest... it bugged the life out of me! was one of the reasons I went for a remap so early in my ownership :) but each to their own!

Nice alternative view. So after a remap, you no longer get that VTEC kick?

I still hear mine change tone :twisted:

Jdmdeathjoashua you'd soon change your mind if your drove a mapped k20

The K20 doesn't really have a noticeable kick any way, nothing like the b18.

I still hear mine change tone :twisted:

Jdmdeathjoashua you'd soon change your mind if your drove a mapped k20

The K20 doesn't really have a noticeable kick any way, nothing like the b18.

This is what I wondered as my EP3 which only has an ITG Induction and sportex unsilenced mid pipe doesn't make any difference in noise when VTEC kicks in and the kick is so subtle that sometime I check the revs to see if I have gone past 6k revs yet :) Sometimes I feel it but it is very subtle.

drive an EK9 or DC2 then if you want a bigger kick in the back, i feel its more stronger in VTEC than K20's

Drive one that's been mapped.

i wish i could drive one thats been mapped so i can have a answer for myself, i juist dont want to spend out all the money for something i may not think was worth the money for, i had a jdm b16 eg6 which had a good vtec kick at 6k , my ep3 is just as good , you know exactly when vtec has crossedover everytime as it really does make a big aggressive bang and difference in power , i can even hear it cross over in 5th gear verywell , it must be the s2000 intake , i will have to get a video at some point as my friend has been in 3-4 ep3's and said none off them sound as loud as my crossover :)

Back