• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Wiring 04 mirrors to pre 04 cars

Mark43

Honorary Member
The main problem that trips people up is the wiring plug is different from the doors loom plug on the later mirrors. So what I do is cut the plug off the new mirror and fit small spade terminals to the corresponding cables individually, then, after a small piece of heatshrink tubing is fitted to insulate them, I push them into the door loom plug. You might have to go to somewhere like Maplins to pick them up because they're much smaller than the small terminals on, say, a speaker.

Now I can't remember which colours are fitted to each side of the car because both sides are different, best take off both the door pads to see which is which, then you'll have to tap into the indicator plugs under each side of the dash (INSIDE the car is best) Just whizz the glovebox out and you'll have to follow the wires from the repeater on the wing. Nothing has to be removed from the drivers side. I blanked over the wing repeaters with a pair of Advan triangular stickers as a temporary measure.

Assuming this is the lhs colour code, for the mirror heater join black/silver on the mirror to orange/silver on the car, and black to black. For the LED, you wire the positive to grey, and the negative to blue/silver. For the motors, it's blue/black to white/red, blue/violet to red/yellow, and also yellow/silver to green/white.
For the other side it's black/silver to orange silver and black to black for the mirror heater.
For the LED you wire the positive to grey and the earth to purple.
For the motors it's yellow/black to blue/silver, yellow/red to blue/black and yellow/silver to grey/green.

There may be some cars around with slightly different colour codes depending upon the year.

With thanks to Mr Bilko 8)

Back