• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Wiring Amplifier in, CONFUSED

So im trying to wire in an amplifier for a sub I Purchased. Its a decent system, not a cheap job.

Ive connected a cable from the +battery to the amp as guided. And a cable from the earth which ive tried touching to various parts of the back of the car.

I really am not an ICE wizard so Ive probably done something wrong, but surely with these two cables connected the amp should power up???

Nothing....

Any advice?

You need the remote cable from the head unit attached to the amp.

You need the remote cable from the head unit attached to the amp.

And a fuse in the holder if it has one on the power cable or the amp ;) lol

Both are correct, the amp won't power up until it gets a feed from the remote cable when the head unit is switched on. Also you should have a fuse as close to the battery as possible, even though the amp will have its own fuses.

where exactly do I plug the remote cable into the headunit? I no longer have the manual for it.

Sound system noob :p

normally a blue cable. Separate to the "block" if i remember correctly. Been a while since i put one in.

it will be a thin blue wire (nearly as thin as speaker wire) to the back of the head unit.

some headunits have them labeled.

where exactly do I plug the remote cable into the headunit? I no longer have the manual for it.

Sound system noob :p

Google for an instruction manual, they are usually available to download. 99% of the time it is a blue cable but sometimes you get one that's different just to be a bugger.

Remember your earthing point on the amp is as important as the positive. Solid earth to bare metal using cable as thick as the positive is a must.

Remember your earthing point on the amp is as important as the positive. Solid earth to bare metal using cable as thick as the positive is a must.

Where do you recommend connecting the Earth in the back? I have all the correct cables, I bought a Juice kit that was recommended

I bought a hoop crimp and used the thread on the beam at the base of the seats in the boot to stick a bolt in. Sanded down the paint where hoop made contact with the metal.

And any comment to the blue cable in question, it is labeled p.cont on the headunit, seperate from the main block of cables

No its a Clarion unit, Its playing up though, the sound keeps glitching and cutting out? the screen stays on and track keeps running but the sound goes and comes back when it likes???

Any ideas

sounds like a dodgy wire the remote cable is always blue or blue with a white line down it and usually if its white and blue theres a little yellow tag around it saying remote, no clue why the sound keeps dropping out cause theres dodgy wiring somewhere recheck over everything and make sure your rca cables are in tight

the blue cable is in the same block as the power cables, and the blue and white cable is usually seperate

Last edited by a moderator:
Back