• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Worn Cam's?

Hi guys and girls

I had a CTR last year on a 2003 and the VTEC kicked in really strong and loud with stock exhaust and air filter, I then bought a Mercedes (yawn) biggest mistake ever, I missed my CTR so much I've got another one but it's newer (2005 facelift) it doesn't seem to have the same strength VTEC pull and noise, could this be my VTEC cams have worn down? also has a standard airbox and exhaust, does anyone else seem to have had this issue and if so where can I get hold of some decent second hand cams?

Hope you can help me out.

Highly unlikely to be worn cams.

Could be any number of things. Check compression. Replace air filter (a very dirty filter will result in low power). Cat convertor might have collapsed (happened on my beemer) which puts a huge restriction in the exhaust = low power.

Does it run smootly before vtec? Does Vtec definately engage?

thanks for the rapid response...

I can confirm it definately engages vtec and yes it runs smoothly but I just find it strange as my previous civic was more BWWWAAAAAA!!! and this one barley makes a noise but it does pick up speed after 6000rmp quite quickly, I will be buying aftermarket performance parts soon such as a K&N air filter or similar, defo an exhaust system but I'm trying to make her look pretty again as she has been neglected by the looks of things, bodywork hanging on by wood screws insread of genuine clips etc, front end hanging on, no wheel arch covers etc etc...things to do in time.

Thanks for the advice, I will be looking into this...above all she's still a gorgeous civic

Well judging from how you've described the car, a compression test would definately be my first port of call.

Back