• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK2 FK2 Brake Squeal

Hi all,

I'm about to hit 8k on my FK2 however my front drivers side brake has developed an awful squeal when dabbing the brakes approaching junctions at a low speed.

I've taken it to Honda they had a look around advising there were no issues with the pads or discs, their response was Honda have removed certain noise dampening materials due to EU regulations.

I work in IT so things like ROHS compliant (Restriction of Hazardous Substances) are a fairly common conversation with customers and I know the government are getting tighter on what materials can be used for manufacturing but I wasn't convinced by the Honda dealers response.

It is only the drivers side brake which is making the noise, so if they are both made in the same factory using the same material surely they would both make this noise?

Has anyone else experienced squeaky brakes?

On track spec pads I have had squeaks.

Sounds like you need new pads to me or a bit of grit has got stuck in there?

It's very very common with the FK2. Honda UK have said they are performance brakes and as such may be noisy.

I found they got worse if you have a spell of braking gently and better if you have a spell of getting them really hot (not like you need an excuse). When I went it for the first service my dealer, "Took the pads out and cleaned the pads and calipers." Yeah, I gave the service guy the same look. They squealed like a stuck pig for weeks afterwards, so much so I almost complained to the service department about them, but I didn't. :lol:

Anyway. TL;DR

Normal, don't worry, brake harder.

Thanks for the replies, I've rebooked it into Honda as the passenger side door panel also needs to be looked at.

I don't understand how/why after X amount of road tests they would put the car into production thinking customers would except that as normal.

I shudder when I pull up to a junction or get stuck in traffic :(

It's a, "Race car for the road," as Honda makes very clear. You have to have compromises on a car that can lap the Ring in under 8 minutes but you want it to take you to the shops too.

Just how it is.

You can change the pads, but they'll either give you more dust or less bite, or you can just go and clear the pad deposits off the discs with some heavy braking.

Hi Gillatron

I am having the same issues and the car is booked in at the garage. It has done less than 1K.
A friend said I need to brake fairly hard every now and then and this would cure it.

Loxy

Many thanks for explaining it in more detail.

Regards
Dalesman

Continuous light braking can cause excessive squeal. Don't be scared to slam on those anchors, they're big, red and brembo, they're not to be used cautiously

It says in the drivers manual that under certain conditions the brakes will squeal. I've had some squeal but nothing drastic. My old Toyota GT86 would squeal every time I hit the brake, it was unbearable and Toyota couldn't do anything about it, even changing the pad to a different compound didn't solve the squeal...

atleast honda have the courtesy in the drivers manual to warn you that the pads will squeal, unlike Toyota!

Last edited by a moderator:
I found that it has got worse since the weather has got colder too. I need to go out and warm them up slightly with some heavy braking but always too many cars about. :)

My brakes squeaked a bit after 6 months. But just recently they squeak really bad. Just as bad as my old evo as it is really load.
I give it a blast up a national speed limit road and braked hard 3 times when the road was clear. It cured it for the rest of the drive home but I'm sure it will be back.
I fixed this problem on the evo by changing the discs and pads but at 700 it wasn't a cheap fix

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

My car has been in the garage and the mechanic said he had greased the brakes with some anti squeak paste whatever that is but so far so good.

If it happens again I have resigned myself to the fact I will have to live it.

Small price to pay compared to the overall excellent car.

The copper grease trick only lasts so long mate, that's what Toyota did to my 86, once the grease wore off the squeal came back, im yet to experience intensive squealing so far and I'm 2200 miles on the clock so touch wood my brake pads continue to be pretty much silent!

Try some Cera Tec out if it's that bad. Or copper grease to the back of the shim.

Hy guys,

yea Have the same "Issue", personally i dont mind it as i drive it hard on the weekends so i seem to get minimal squeal on the drive to work, Alot of work and engineering went into the brakes as ive tracked my car a few times and i never get fade, that feeling of always having bite when i go for the pedal is definitely worth the sacrifice in my opinion,

Just found a great vid on brakes in general might not help with the squel but might just provide or information on brakes for those who care:)

https://youtu.be/vdX3WdZLXnc

Hi Smugla many thanks for that...what did we do before Youtube.
Some of it went over my head due to my engineering skills but I got the jist of it and very informative.
The rest of the car is spot on so a few squeals is not the end of the world.
Thanks once again.

Regards
Dalesman

It's a, "Race car for the road," as Honda makes very clear. You have to have compromises on a car that can lap the Ring in under 8 minutes but you want it to take you to the shops too.

Just how it is.

You can change the pads, but they'll either give you more dust or less bite, or you can just go and clear the pad deposits off the discs with some heavy braking.

Completely agree. I have had it once and knew they would do it. Like Loxy say's, brake later and harder every now and then and the brakes warm.

Mine have stopped doing it I think they needed a good dusting off with some heavy braking so I politely obliged :)

Back