• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 Anyone getting weird results with their mileage?

*in before 'waa waa because racecar, why buy a type-r if you care about mpg?!! waa!'

The reason I ask is because I'm sure my fuel gauge is calibrated wrong.

My 1st tank of pertrol from full to light coming on was about 190 miles with around 22 miles on my range left.

Now bearing in mind I had around 26-27mpg quoted on my trip computer that would mean 25% of my fuel tank had evaporated.

Sure enough when I filled up I could only put in around 34l

That sounds like it's warning me way too early and the range left is completely wrong. I get there must be some margin for error built in but not 50+ miles worth.

Today I left work in rush hour with my trip computer showing:
Range: 52 miles
MPG: 26.4
Trip: 199

When I got home it read:
Range: 24 miles
MPG: 27.8
Trip: 213

So my range dropped by 28 miles but I only travelled 14 miles (and my mpg went up)

The maths just don't add up.

My low fuel light has now come on again having done 213 miles. Given tank size and mpg values I would say it shouldn't come on until ~250

Incidentally 213 miles with 27mpg = 35 litres of fuel which I'm perfectly fine with. My only real issue here is the fact from my research the fk8 has a 56l tank. I wouldn't expect my low fuel light to come on until mid 40s (historically they come on with about 12 litres left)

Anyone else finding weird values with their mileage?

I've found that the tank range is constantly changing based on your current 'instant' mpg. It's not a quick change but watch the range go up after a few minutes when you ease off.

Plus the 50 miles to go light has been the norm with my last 3 Civics which in reality is probably more like 70 or 80 miles.

The range is calculated based on current fuel consumption. It'll increase if you sit at 60 on a motorway and it'll decrease if you're ragging it or driving in town traffic.

I've found that the tank range is constantly changing based on your current 'instant' mpg. It's not a quick change but watch the range go up after a few minutes when you ease off.
The range is calculated based on current fuel consumption. It'll increase if you sit at 60 on a motorway and it'll decrease if you're ragging it or driving in town traffic.

That's my point. I've already said I was driving home in rush hour so no open roads to blast on and my MPG estimate was going up. My MPG was going up but the range was going down at twice the rate of miles I was doing. My journey to/from work is 90% motorway and a-road.

Incidentally, My range went from 24 to 9 on the way to work this morning which is pretty much 100% accurate in terms of miles (my MPG went up to 28.1 too)

My driving style did not change AT ALL from last night to this morning.

To sum up. same journey. one way my range dropped by double the miles I drove. the other way it was 100% accurate. MPG went up both times indicating smooth driving.

So strange.

That's my point. I've already said I was driving home in rush hour so no open roads to blast on and my MPG estimate was going up. My MPG was going up but the range was going down at twice the rate of miles I was doing. My journey to/from work is 90% motorway and a-road.

Incidentally, My range went from 24 to 9 on the way to work this morning which is pretty much 100% accurate in terms of miles (my MPG went up to 28.1 too)

My driving style did not change AT ALL from last night to this morning.

To sum up. same journey. one way my range dropped by double the miles I drove. the other way it was 100% accurate. MPG went up both times indicating smooth driving.

So strange.
The only other thing I can think of is say if your journey to work is more elevated than the journey back home?

I'm certainly getting more visits to the fuel station than in my Audi Diesel the CTR replaced. but proves I'm just enjoying driving it too much :)

anyone else find themselves getting sprayed just a bit with petrol when they stick put their nozzle in (oo-er missus) ....to the capless filler? I guess as the fuel tank is pressurised that if the nozzle is mildly moist you're going to get a bit of a face full. :shock:

all good now I know the CTR fanny farts a bit on refill I'll just remember to stand back a bit further in future ;)

ha mate this caught me out big time....All suited up, nice shirt and tie for a meeting... boom, sprayed, and I mean sprayed in petrol.... No where near home, no change in clothes. My aftershave was 'gasoline' by Beepee

So I just got caught out with the "spraying", on the way home though so no biggy, but, this is my third fill up with shells mighty V-power, and just like the second fill, i could only fit just under 40litres into the tank, had the low fuel light on and only 1 bar left on the gauge just like the first time, isnt the tank supposed to be 46Litres? (plus reserve maybe to 50litre max???) Low fuel light and gauge with 6 litres remaining seems wrong? irc first tank (dealer provided) lasted around 190-200 miles same with the second fill, 24-27mpg all town driving so far.

On the subject of mileage I'm noticing I'm getting more and more with each tank.

It's gone from 197 miles, to 210, to 230 and each time I can only put less than 40l in.

Guess that's just the way it is. Honda tanks have always been over cautious with their tanks.. guess nothing's changed even with more accurate measuring :D

My wife ran it down till the display showed 12miles. That resulted in 40.2ltr and 268miles so 30.31mpg.

I have to say economy is currently not a strong point. Highest full tank average we have seen is 32.13mpg and that was the steady drive back after collecting it. It will be interesting to see if it improves as the engine loosens up.

On the subject of mileage I'm noticing I'm getting more and more with each tank.

It's gone from 197 miles, to 210, to 230 and each time I can only put less than 40l in.

Guess that's just the way it is. Honda tanks have always been over cautious with their tanks.. guess nothing's changed even with more accurate measuring :D

more likely you're settling down into more normal / less warp-speed driving as the novelty of visits to the fuel station wear off. :lol:

certainly when I first got the car the temptation to keep jumping on the gas was just too great.

I was proud of myself to have managed to get 32mpg (so said the dashboard) on a reasonably steady run the other day. but then generally find I can only drive frugally for so long and then when you get some Focus RS or Golf R pull up alongside - it just too hard to keep it in Miss Daisy mode and not chase them down :twisted:

thinking about this some more ....anyone got a link to a decent (geeky) spreadsheet that you can calculate this yourself (often the dash recordings are not that reliable) and maybe for super-geeky-fuel economy-goodness folks can share their car mileage and results.

mines on 5k miles but should be nice & loose being an ex-demo for the first 4400 before I rescued it from the Honda Salespeople caning it on their way home(s)

Last edited by a moderator:
thinking about this some more ....anyone got a link to a decent (geeky) spreadsheet that you can calculate this yourself (often the dash recordings are not that reliable) and maybe for super-geeky-fuel economy-goodness folks can share their car mileage and results.

mines on 5k miles but should be nice & loose being an ex-demo for the first 4400 before I rescued it from the Honda Salespeople caning it on their way home(s)
It's easy to work out yourself.

Make a note of how many miles and how much fuel you put in.

Convert the litres into gallons (4.55 litres per gallon) and from there you can work out MPG.

It's easy to work out yourself.

Make a note of how many miles and how much fuel you put in.

Convert the litres into gallons (4.55 litres per gallon) and from there you can work out MPG.

:smt038 - cheers not sure why I thought it would be more complicated than that. does anyone else find their Trip A (or Trip B) auto resets when you refuel, sure I read somewhere in the manual that it was supposed to auto-reset each time you top-up. (might've been dreaming though :lol:)

:smt038 - cheers not sure why I thought it would be more complicated than that. does anyone else find their Trip A (or Trip B) auto resets when you refuel, sure I read somewhere in the manual that it was supposed to auto-reset each time you top-up. (might've been dreaming though :lol:)

You are not dreaming it up, it’s in the Meter setup options screen.

As follows:-
Home > Vehicle > Meter Setup > Trip A/B Reset Timing
Options are:-
When Fully Refuelled
When Refuelled
When Ignition Turned Off
Manual Reset

Back