• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 What and when to buy?

Better is a matter of opinion.
My opinion is the FK8 is not as good looking as the FK2.
Better can also be a matter of fact. It is not for me to say whichever it is in this case, but Honda believe the FK8 is better.
My opinion is the FK8 is more visually striking than the FK2, but then I would think that because I bought one. :D

Having had both and after some mileage covered , the fk8 is the better machine.

Looks are a personal preference but again everyone has their own opinion of that , but the same was said with the fk2 on initial release , I wasn’t a fan but grew to like it - a modded fk2 is a great and capable machine , but it’s no where near as composed and stable as the 8, this is due to a different chassis , suspension and wider track, we can discuss it until the cows come home but the stark reality is that the fk2 as great at it is (and it is) was always the test mule for what the 8 became. On paper they are quite similar , though behave very differently.

I was in a quandary with it as I had a well balanced 2 , but after comparing a stock 2 v stock 8, and even a stock 8 v modded 2 , I feel happier in the 8 - and I was neutral on both sides before experiencing the 8 in a track environment.

Regarding px deals for a 2 against the 8 if you were to go down that road .. Honda deals are shocking so would be worthwhile selling privately, though you may not get as much as you think the car is worth.

To add . The 8 offers that little bit more. In the same way the Dc5 did to the ep3 and the Fd2 did to the Dc5. We won’t mention the Fn2.

Last edited by a moderator:
Would be interesting to see the residuals side by side, there's fk2s on trader for 28k and fk8s for 28.9

I'll be interested in 5 years time what they're worth and how "Honda" the running costs are.

Would be interesting to see the residuals side by side, there's fk2s on trader for 28k and fk8s for 28.9
Not taking sides here....but both of those will be for whatever reason expensive and cheap compared to the majority.

Yawn. Just buy the one you like and **** what everyone else thinks. The FK8 is a ‘better’ car technically. They both have pro’s and cons and people will like bits of one they don’t like about the other. It’s opinion. You will always get people defending the FK2 as they have just spent 30K on a car that’s been replaced. You will also get people defending the purchase of an FK8 as they need to justify why it’s better than its predecessor. It’s the evolution of the FK2. However it is only 6 seconds faster over 13 miles. The average driver will not find the improvements when the 2 are sat side by side at the traffic lights. Buy the car that makes you feel like spending 30K. I like both cars but prefer the FK2. That’s the one I purchased. Does it really matter about residual value and how much they depreciate over the next few years? I paid cash for mine and plan to own it for 10 years. I’ll worry about what it’s worth later after I’ve put 100,000 miles on it. Until then I’m going to continue to customise and improve my car in ways that I like and not worry about opinions. I know for a fact that there are no FK8’s out there that can match mine for pace right now. And there won’t be for some time. Standard it’s the better car. Sit it next to mine and it won’t be.

87fe49128e784e44003d6b5b1770c3b5.jpg

It’s started

Elaborate on this please?
Hondas typically cost peanuts to service, maintain with consumables and insure.

Not many people have done any mileage of note meaning that they have not yet had to replace anything other than pads and discs so no clutches, spark plugs, fuel filters, nor have many people needed to do anything out if warranty like replacing bearings, dampers or synchros.

It will be interesting to see if Honda place a premium on CTR maintenance parts and whether they are easy and therefore cheap to work on.

I'm interested for a few reasons,
I only have 2 years left on the loan so is it worth holding on to the 2 and be completely debt free and mod away,
Sell next year and jump to the 8,
And it will be interesting to watch and compare residuals against 2 closely released models

Revitup bought a 15 plate white gt with 10k miles and 5 year service plan for £21k today. It’s back on their website at 22950.

Not many people have done any mileage of note meaning that they have not yet had to replace anything other than pads and discs so no clutches, spark plugs, fuel filters, nor have many people needed to do anything out if warranty like replacing bearings, dampers or synchros.

It will be interesting to see if Honda place a premium on CTR maintenance parts and whether they are easy and therefore cheap to work on.

Interesting. I ruined my drivers side skirt, took it to Honda for them to have a look and the geezer said I’d either have to replace it or plastic weld it. I asked him how much it’d be to replace and he said “knowing Honda probably a grand”. Anyway I put it off for a while because of what he said, but eventually rang Honda to get a quote. It was £140 for the skirt which I thought was really cheap.

Not quite strictly true. I was quoted over £660 service for a 12 year old car from my Honda dealer because it needed this and that doing to it. Reason was they made up the quote and took work for a year 6 service and applied it for a year 12.

Suffice to say I did some of the work myself

Last edited by a moderator:
You've just said it yourself that was a major service, and it all depends on what it included. For example I been quoted over £600 for a service including all pads and discs being replaced, but that doesn't make it an expensive service but just a big bill because everything has come at once.

Could you break that £660 down?

Back