• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 Diskloks

Should we all be getting these?
At the moment S3s and Golf Rs are the most stolen but I rather fear that the FK8 might be soon figuring high on the stats as more appear on the road.

There's no doubt Type R's can be a scumbag magnet but one of the reason's Fiesta's, Golf R's etc get stolen more often is there's more of them. They're subtle. Under the radar. Steal a Type R you may as well put a neon sign over your head LOOK AT ME.

Nearly all car thefts now are home invasion and taking the keys, I'd put money on your disklok key being on your car eyes so they will have what you need, I've never really seen the benefit of diskloks in this day and age, if they really want the car they will take it

Nearly all car thefts now are home invasion and taking the keys, I'd put money on your disklok key being on your car eyes so they will have what you need, I've never really seen the benefit of diskloks in this day and age, if they really want the car they will take it?

Fair enough,but what about the thefts where they use the keyless aspect and use one of those gadgets to open and start it without the home invasion bit to get the keys?

Nearly all car thefts now are home invasion and taking the keys, I'd put money on your disklok key being on your car eyes so they will have what you need, I've never really seen the benefit of diskloks in this day and age, if they really want the car they will take it?

Fair enough,but what about the thefts where they use the keyless aspect and use one of those gadgets to open and start it without the home invasion bit to get the keys?
If they have the tech for that, a disklok isn't going to pose much of an obstuction, if you're concerned about that though keep your keys in a Faraday bag at night

I have heard of Fiestas being stolen with diskloks on as they just use angle grinders to remove them. Bottom line is if someone really wants your car they will go to any lengths to get it.

The point of a steering lock etc is more of a deterrent to anyone who's an opportunist or something which is probably most.

Everything can be undone given time & effort but how many want to spend 20 minutes trying to nick a car when they can look at another one without that deterrent.

But I think most peoples point is the fact it either slows them down or they move on to the next fiesta without one on.

Yes if they really want your car they will go to any measures, but with cars like fiestas being a dime a dozen they will more likely move on.
Ok FK2 + FK8 much more rare in comparison but a disklok WILL help

For example at work after we got broken into and they sat inside with alarms going for 3 hours to angle grind into our safe,
we then had metal bars put on the windows, whilst they will still be able to grind their way in it either slows them right down or sends them to break in somewhere down the road without bars on the windows.
Best part was they got into the safe eventually but we only used to keep coffee and sugar in it :lol:

Should we all be getting these?
At the moment S3s and Golf Rs are the most stolen but I rather fear that the FK8 might be soon figuring high on the stats as more appear on the road.

most cars with comfort access are taken by boosting the signal from the key and opening the car and driving off. You can get all the equipment to do this for a few hundred quid on ebay.

a disc lock will make it more likely they wont bother with yours though. I put they keys for all my keyless entry cars in a 'faraday cage ' bag which blocks the signal so it cant be boosted.

This along with gap insurance is enough for me to not worry about them being taken.

if they really want it they will be coming into the house while you sleep and taking the keys by force anyway. Or simply following you and car jacking it.

a lot of people leave the keys visible so if they do come into the house while you're asleep, they can just take the car. better than being attacked while asleep and the only thing you have to defend yourself is a morning boner LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
better than being attacked while asleep and the only thing you have to defend yourself is a morning boner LOL
:lol::lol::lol:
I keep a baseball bat beside my bed for this eventuality....it inflicts pain of the non pleasurable kind. :twisted:

I got myself a Disklok for my fk2 along with a couple of Faraday pouches to put the key fobs in. Just about the visual deterrent and trying to make it as difficult as possible to take.

Unfortunately not.
I believe some brands allow this....but Honda and Ford do not.

Shame you can't turn it off.
Call me old fashioned,which I'm bound to be at my age,but I would gladly trade some of the techie stuff on the GT model for some "traditional"luxuries.
For instance,don't need the keyless entry,don't need the wireless charging (how hard is it to plug in a wire?)
I'd rather have,for example:
--Sunroof
--Back seats individual and trimmed is the same two tone alcantara as the front.

Yeah the back seats are a bit of a let down. :(
I don't have a phone that's compatible with wireless charging so keep that function turned off.
Sunroof would be nice.....I've not had one of them for decades. :D

I'm getting used to the keyless thing but would be just as happy without it and agree that the back seats are a bit meh.

I don't have a phone that's compatible with wireless charging so keep that function turned off.

Neither did I last month but used the wireless charging thingy as an excuse to upgrade :D

Neither did I last month but used the wireless charging thingy as an excuse to upgrade :D
It's funny you should say that because I almost talked myself into doing the same thing not long after I got my car. I still might. :lol:

Back