• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 Misfire FK8 Type R recovered

"Race car for the road."

I'd be disappointed if any Type R owner hadn't.

With the previous Hondas, I would agree.

Not the current gen though, too fragile imo. And not just Hondas, most performance cars lately in general.

I'm sure you can download data from the ECU.

I doubt it is down to ragging it from day 1 though.

yep, and when my first one was in with its gearbox issues. Honda UK wanted the data from all ECUs (I was told there are more than 10 of them monitoring various systems). during the data diag they agreed with the conclusion the car had had a much harder life in its young 4000 mile life as a demonstrator than when I came to cherish it afterwards so felt the blame for more excessive than expected wear on the 2nd gear and some wear on 4th was likely due to the early test pilots being unsympathetic.

Or the problem was there from day one and progressively got worse.

Dealers themselves are probably more to blame than test drives, my dealer's fk2 demo car was passed around the sales team for their daily commute, I remember popping in about a month after collecting mine and was shocked at the condition theirs was in, bearing in mind 1st batches were before dealers received theirs, so it would have only been a week or 2 old

Sure they would have a good ole chuckle if they downloaded the data from mine, I don't do standing starts but it does get driven hard almost every time I drive it. In my opinion as long as warmed up nicely really don't see an issue with it.

Only time the ECU records data is when the fault occurs. When a fault is logged, it also collects the date, time, and engine conditions (rpm, temperatures, air mass etc.) The ECU doesn’t record every single piece of running data.
However they normally have a counter readings stored for various conditions it meets. Such as how many times the ECU has been programmed. Or as an example on a Golf R DSG it counts how many times launch control has been activated.

Only time the ECU records data is when the fault occurs. When a fault is logged, it also collects the date, time, and engine conditions (rpm, temperatures, air mass etc.) The ECU doesn’t record every single piece of running data.
However they normally have a counter readings stored for various conditions it meets. Such as how many times the ECU has been programmed. Or as an example on a Golf R DSG it counts how many times launch control has been activated.
My 18 s4 is the same with the launch control, rs3 is limited to 200 launches apparently

My 18 s4 is the same with the launch control, rs3 is limited to 200 launches apparently

As far as I’m aware, there’s no limit to how many launches you can do on any vehicles within the VW Audi group.
However, if within your warranty period you had an issue with the gearbox, more specifically the clutches, they will take into account the number of launches done.

Back