Home
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone running 255/30 R20 tyres on the standard rims?

Hmmm, I was gonna say you will miss the grip and stickiness in the summer.....but if your thinking of a crv maybe performance isn't key to you anyway?! (I jest of course)
    Championship White Type R GT FK8 - Remus, Pipercross Panel Filter R-03927 - Happily offending VAG owners' eyes since Sept '17

106 Rallye S1, Saxo VTS, Type R EP3, Focus ST 225, VW GTi Mk6, Focus RS Mk1

To be honest I know in the summer they will not be as sticky as a CSC6 but as I will not be driving the car on a track I doubt I will miss the difference as there is only so much you can use on a pubic road. I guess if they do break a little you may have to feed the throttle a little in the lower gears but as I have said it does not take long to get up to speed and at the end of the day this is a daily used car.

Hi,

RickHondaR thank you for your feedback on 255/35/20. Redcap what was your decision at the end?

Did a lot of reading about tyre changing experience on civic forum (US).
    A lot of drivers stating that 255/35 made the car perform even better and they could do even better times on track and daily drivers say the ride is smoother and they have more grip in all stages/type of driving on PS4s tyres.
    Any feedback would be great before spending 1k on new shoes

Quote Originally Posted by slejnej View Post
    Hi,

Redcap what was your decision at the end?

Any feedback would be great before spending 1k on new shoes
    Yeah, you definitely don’t want to be making mistakes when it come to spending a grand on tyres! Useful information is tricky to come by on this subject it seems.

It seems very few UK owners have changed tyre size and/or brand/model. For the moment I have rotated the wheels on my car so that I will need a set of 4 tyres once they have all worn to the point of needing to be replaced as a set.

I am planning to replace them with 255/30 R20 PS4S’s as they seem to be the regarded as the best alternative tyre to the Conti’s. I would prefer not to go to a 35 profile as I believe the rolling radius will be to large of an increase over the OE tyre.
    2018 FK8 Type R GT
    2002 DC5 Type R C-Pack
    2002 EP3 Type R 30AE

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Redcap For This Useful Post:

slejnej (08-07-2019)

i ran the csc6's (235/35/19), and then jumped to 255/35/19... dunlop rt2, ps4s, cup2.
    for road only, i'd be happy with the RT2's. cheaper than the 4s's and you really have to be pushing to get to the limit of them. not ideal for track. 4s's very similar but good for mild track imo. cup2's noticably worse in the wet than those two, but i've no qualms running them on the road. definately not a tyre for winter or much below 7c.

positive +20mm tyres: smoother ride and better wheel protection.
    down side: lost the sharpness of the csc6's

since the offset didnt change, no problem with handling or feel. i do wonder what 255/30/19's would feel like. likely loose the smooth ride but keep the sharpness of OE size
    FK2R Mods: Remus cat-back, Remus Responder, K&N Panel Filter, Girodisc 2peice discs, Carbone Lorraine RC6e Pads, HEL oil cooler, TDI-North Intercooler, HCTR Brake Cooling Ducts || Audio: stock + Audison APBX10DS sub || Summer: OE 19" wheels, 255/35r19 PS4S & Cup2

Quote Originally Posted by Redcap View Post
    I am planning to replace them with 255/30 R20 PS4S’s as they seem to be the regarded as the best alternative tyre to the Conti’s. I would prefer not to go to a 35 profile as I believe the rolling radius will be to large of an increase over the OE tyre.
    I’ve gone for the PS4S 255/35 R20 and it’s the best thing I’ve done. Ride is more composed. Potholes that you hit by accident don’t hit the alloy. Speedo is about 1 mph out but still over reads (just by a smaller amount). I won’t hesitate to use this size again in the future. Added bonus that this size is £80 a corner cheaper.

OEM Contis seem to have a stiff sidewall, but they're angled slightly meaning they fold over very easily, both during cornering and when you hit potholes. I don't think you need to increase the width to protect the rim.

I'm running 245/30/20 Pilot Sport Cup 2's, and they seem to protect the rim very from potholes well, even though they have zero sidewall protection (the rim actually sticks out from the tyre). The sidewall sits square so they don't squish over easily when you hit a pothole.

I'm going to go for the 'R01' (OEM Audi) Pilot Sport Cup 2 next in the same size, as that model of tyre has rim protection apparently. I think the Pilot Sport 4S has a softer sidewall compared to the Contis and Michelin PSC2, so you'd likely lose a little sharpness. Depends what you're using the car for!
    Last edited by GT3; 14-07-2019 at 09:18 AM.