• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

remote start?

None of them are any good though, unless of course you work for a supplier of alarms and are trying to peddle your gear, which seeing as you're not a registered trader is against the rules and your posts will be deleted.

I think you will find that the posts are informative rather than advertisements. At no time have I given any indication of price or details on specific alarm systems.

But if you feel that way then please accept my apologies and delete any relevant posts.

You will also find one in the ICE section in reply to MilanoChris's question regarding a new head unit. If you feel that giving my personal opinion in that post breaches your rules then you should maybe delete that one as well.

Might strange though that Chris didn't seem to take offence to my question or reply..

As for remote start... I know many people who wouldn't be without it.... they are the ones who watch their cars defrost from the comfort of their living room whilst the "non believers" are out scraping, spraying de-icer and freezing their nunchuks off. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Remote start, pointless and potentially unsafe should anything go wrong.

A person should be in control of the vehicle when the engine is running. FACT

please define "control of the vehicle"

Do you want the text book driving instructor answer?

If the car (for whatever reason) engaged gear whilts no one was in the vehicle the owner would be 100% liable for any damage/injury that occurred, if you were in the car you are in full control.

I remember it used to be illegal to have a car running with no one in the drivers seat, I am not sure of the legislation with this but I will check on that tomorrow in work.

Remote start is the height of laziness (I am not saying this to be pedantic towards you) but it is.. If it is cold and your car is iced over, get out there five minutes before and de- ice it. If it is hot, open your windows.

We live in the UK not Montserrat or Alaska :)

It is nothing but a gimmick.

It's also illegal to have the engine running on the public highway without the driver being behind the wheel.

I'm happy to spend 60 seconds scraping ice of my window and then driving straight to work on the 8 frosty days of the year.

Remote start is an enhancement.. as is automatic headlights, automatic windscreen wipers, central locking, heating system, rear window demister, navigation, alloy wheels etc...... we don't really need any of them but they all make our vehicles more "comfortable"

once upon a time there was a guy somewhere saying "cars are the height of laziness... why not get up early and walk to work" :)

It's also illegal to have the engine running on the public highway without the drivber being behind the wheel.

I'm happy to spend 60 seconds scraping ice of my window and then driving straight to work on the 8 frosty days of the year.

It's actually against the law to exit (quitting is the technical term) the vehicle with the keys in the ignition and the vehicles engine running..... Recovery wagons, police cars, ambulances and various other vehicles all have the ability/requirement to have the engine running whilst no-one is behind the wheel.

It's a grey area at the moment and no-one has been prosecuted whilst using remote start. Even the insurance companies have been in discussion regarding the use of remote start and their views have been very positive.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's also illegal to have the engine running on the public highway without the driver being behind the wheel.

I'm going to sound a bit thick here but surely you are allowed if it is on your driveway?
Quite enjoying this thread as there is lots of stuff being said that I never knew. I'm going to stick by the fact that some people will like it and they will probably also have a remote that switches on their neons :lol:
My back garden is 130 feet long, by the time I have got to the car, scraping the ice really isn't a problem for me lol

Back