• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

ECU reset, auto-learn-mode ?

I have this question,

I had an EP1 (D14Z6 - 90hp - SOHC - no Vtec) for 3 years before I changed to EP3. On my EP1 I changed the air intake for a cheap open cone custom made intake. (yes, powerloss when engine temp was high but very good throttle response and nice sound)

After installing this, the car drove real crappy at very low rpm, like when in traffic congestion and doing no more than 5mph, was like it was going to stall, I needed to clutch control to not make it stall! Also the fuel consumption readout was like +40% !!!

After searching for solutions online, I found out about an ECU-reset, allowing to automatically remap the A/F values.

I have to say, after doing this reset-procedure, the car drove way better than ever before, and fuel consumption was normal again. Throttle response was increased dramatically, only downside, powerloss when hot... But then again, it was a short ram open cone system.

Now in short:
after applying for example an exhaust and/or intake, could this help on EP3 aswell to let the ECU learn the new A/F for itself, in meantime save money for k-100/k_pro and let it tune properly?

Anyone done this on EP3 before?

Yes but there's no need, it'll sort itself out anyway.

I drove 100's of miles with crappy fuel trim and after this:

1. drive car til its warmed up.
2. turn car off, disconnect battery or pull ECU fuse out for around 30 secs.
3. put fuse back, start car, close hood
4. make sure everything is turned of (airco, radio, lights... don't press any pedals)
5. just let the car idle for 10 mins by itself
6. turn car off, then back on, and go for a drive like you normally do. it will take usually 100-400km to relearn the fuel trims.

it was fixed and the short ram was accepted and fuel consumption back to normal... I seemed this reset was REQUIRED

So I really wonder if this would do any good after changing exhaust/intake on EP3's too?

As we've said, the EP3 ECU is self learning, it doesn't make a lot of difference if you pull the fuse or just drive it.

Back