• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Sat outside work with a puddle of oil under the car waiting for the AA FTL

Loxy

Site Treasurer
Administrator
As per title really.

No idea what it is yet.

Checked the filler cap, just hoping it's the filter is loose.

It's splashed up the underside of the car so must of happened on my way back in at lunch time...

Must be leaking quite a bit as it would collect a lot in the under tray before you saw anything on the ground.... :( Hope it's not serious....

Just got back from being recovered.

First truck the AA sent was a third party company that didn't check anything out on the car, just put it on the back of his wagon then promptly dropped me off 5 miles from work, half way home saying that my AA cover didn't include relay so he couldn't take me any further.

I got back onto AA and they said erm, erm... We can recover you within 5 miles to a random garage. I said I didn't want that because it's still under warranty.

'Oh crap' I heard under his breath, 'Erm, you are covered by Honda Care which we administer and we'll have someone with you in the next 30 minutes.

This time, a proper AA man. He had a look and sump plug out of gearbox has dropped out. He said the thread is undamaged so it must have been loose and worked it's way out.

Honda 2 months ago when they replaced the 3rd gear then... Great.

God knows how long I've been driving it with it losing gearbox oil. I'm going for a new gearbox from Honda as well now.

Car is now tucked up at Honda until the morning...

Did you notice any noises whilst driving back from lunch? hopefully no damage has been done if run on a short journey with low or just dumped oil. the feed for the oil pump is low down so it should have been lubricated until the plug dropped out and not to much heat build up if it were a short journey.

Did you notice any noises whilst driving back from lunch? hopefully no damage has been done if run on a short journey with low or just dumped oil. the feed for the oil pump is low down so it should have been lubricated until the plug dropped out and not to much heat build up if it were a short journey.

No, no noises. I'm livid though at the moment... and it's back at the same dealer that did the 3rd gear work. I'm just hoping they cough for it.

No, no noises. I'm livid though at the moment... and it's back at the same dealer that did the 3rd gear work. I'm just hoping they cough for it.

I feel for you mate, i really do but I'm just trying to reassure you that a gearbox can cope quite well on low oil and a big puddle of oil means the box had oil in it not long ago and probably emptied itself whilst you were busy at work. they will probably put a new plug in and fill it with oil and test it. if there's little or no noise they will pass it and you will have you're car back soon.
sh!t happens but it doesn't sound as bad as it could of been if noises occur. so keep the old chin up mate.

I feel for you mate, i really do but I'm just trying to reassure you that a gearbox can cope quite well on low oil and a big puddle of oil means the box had oil in it not long ago and probably emptied itself whilst you were busy at work. they will probably put a new plug in and fill it with oil and test it. if there's little or no noise they will pass it and you will have you're car back soon.
sh!t happens but it doesn't sound as bad as it could of been if noises occur. so keep the old chin up mate.

Aye quite true. If the plug had have come out on the motorway and I'd driven it a couple of hundred miles it might be a different story! :rolleyes:

I had a fiesta for my first car, I took the girlfriend to Cornwall and prior to this 'I' serviced the car. lost the engine sump plug on the A30 through devon in the slow lane which i don't normally do so it must of been fate. Little red oil can popped up on the dash as I looked at it the front wheels locked up and we skidded perfectly into the hard shoulder like precision parking and a thin black line of oil for as far as you could see. neither of us had AA cover and was stranded 150 miles from home. we had to spend our holiday money for a recovery truck to take us home so we lost our hotel room/money too. get home, strip car. It's knackered the whole bottom end of the engine so outweighing the cost of repair the car got scrapped. so yeah a completely different story, the cost of it is one thing but what if we were in the fast lane? always check the sump plug after a service or engine/gearbox work has been carried out. the small jobs can be the most important jobs.

I had a fiesta for my first car, I took the girlfriend to Cornwall and prior to this 'I' serviced the car. lost the engine sump plug on the A30 through devon in the slow lane which i don't normally do so it must of been fate. Little red oil can popped up on the dash as I looked at it the front wheels locked up and we skidded perfectly into the hard shoulder like precision parking and a thin black line of oil for as far as you could see. neither of us had AA cover and was stranded 150 miles from home. we had to spend our holiday money for a recovery truck to take us home so we lost our hotel room/money too. get home, strip car. It's knackered the whole bottom end of the engine so outweighing the cost of repair the car got scrapped. so yeah a completely different story, the cost of it is one thing but what if we were in the fast lane? always check the sump plug after a service or engine/gearbox work has been carried out. the small jobs can be the most important jobs.

Fair point, AA man said it could have been a lot worse. I've no idea why I noticed it, I just saw three drops of something coming off the rear mud flap so had a look underneath.

You would think Honda should check the sump plug properly though. Especially as it was warranty work carried out for HUK.

Have you got anything in writing from the AA man stating the cause of the problem?
If so throw that @ Honda & I'll suspect they'll replace the box with minimal fuss.

Have you got anything in writing from the AA man stating the cause of the problem?
If so throw that @ Honda & I'll suspect they'll replace the box with minimal fuss.

Yeah you get a recovery report and the guy wrote on that gearbox sump plug was missing.

It's in at Honda now, if it test drives OK I can have it back at lunch time. I know exactly when the plug came out because I heard it bounce up under the car but at the time I thought it was a stone. At maximum I've driven it 1 mile back to the office since the noise.

I'll still make sure when I pick it up that I get an assurance if it starts making any noise it's going back in free of charge.

Calming down a bit now...

This was what I was looking at last night....

IMAG0202.jpg

Got it back and all seems fine and dandy, TFFT.

Honda were full of apologies, I can take it back anytime if it starts making any funny noises or I have any selection issues etc.

Got this as a 'We're sorry' gift:

Sdc10368.jpg

Sdc10369.jpg

Better than nowt I suppose...

Good to see the bottles on either end arent full up. What are the two things at the top, are they spray heads?

Back