• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 non-start wont start

HELLO GUYS
am a new member and would like to say hi and what a helpfull site
am not good on computers and hope iv posted this in the corret place

i own a 2003 civic type R its been a great car as i sold my accord type r to buy the civic :) its been fault free for a year now but on saturday it just wouldnt start (on my way to a wedding) lol , iv got good spark on all 4 coils , 200-210 psi of compression, its pulsing fuel i noid tested the injector wiring and the plugs are very wet with fuel ? iv plugs the snap on verus in and its pretty poor to be fair on real live data and no fault codes , it doesnt even pop or bang like to try to fire up , any help would be great or links , been told the chain tensioners are commen to fail but i should get a cam sensor fault if this was the case , hope to hear back , regards

hi rf55 , wow fast reply ,thank you, no i havent checked the timing yet ,as i cant get the crank bolt out very tight my 18v snap on gun wont undo it so ** try again tomorrow after work, iv been on auto data and got the picture of how it should look timed up (fingers crossed) lol but if the timing was out it'd be down on compresion in my mind as the valves would seat correctly been bent ?

There's a mark on the outer crank pulley, times up about 12 o'clock, no need to remove bolt ? just remove cam cover to check cam timing

oh mega thanks for the pic i seen the two nicks out of the pulley but wasnt 100% ** be digging in to it again tomorrow night , thanks for your time and help :)

bad news mate , timing out must be a faulty tensioner or oil pressure problem ,lined cams up perfect but crank is out , crank markis pointing about 7oclock,
whats the vvti like to remove from the head looks tricky?

Sorry to hear that. Think the vvti comes off as a complete unit, cams, rockers

cool ** order chain and shunk tensioner tomorow try just resetting the timing first with new parts , because if i have good compression i should have bent valves?

hi guys quick update , removed timing cover timed it up and cams were timed up perfect but the crank has moved over half a turn 10teeth ish :(
removed tensioner and the teeth are damaged , my real worry is bent valves , done a compression test agian before i striped it down 220 psi on all 4 ,
so looks like the chain was slack and the crank pulley has jumped , but thinking of cylinder leakage tests will that 100% answer my worries of bendy valves ?
know am new to forums this is my first, but cant fine any treads with this problem and how it ws fixed , iv really enjoyed this owners club the short time iv been here lol and dont want people to think am only here for advise ,am a merchanic and will try to share my experiance with people who want it and hope to become a valued member :) thanks guys

i would replace chain and tensioner, then check compression again to compare to the 220psi you had before ? ive read before that a k20 was runing fine with timing out 5 teeth ?

yeah iv order the chain and tensioner for honda but as i live on the Isle Of Man parts wont be here til monday , got the national rally on the weekend to watch so keep my mind off it lol am driving round in my 1.3 suzuki jimny with about 10bhp at the moment really miss the civic no speed limit on the island here ;)

rf55 thanks for your help pal

Chain and tensioner not cheap bro i paid £400 :( car feels slower aswell after fitting it don't spin as good when changing gears

hi HS iv done the job now , got new chain and tensioner and guide rails , fitted it all took a night to do ,runs perfect now took longer to clean the silicon sealant off the chain cover than to do the full job lol, if yours isnt running correct could you have bent a valve maybe ? you tried compression test or cylinder leakage test if there was piston to valve contact there would be a loss in compression as the valve wouldnt seat properly? i asked loads of people and i think but dont hold me to it but the k20 in stardard form might be non contact , mine was 16teeth out 8 each cam wheel and luckerly got way with it without any damage ,if there was a timing issus with incorrect timing it would bring the EML on due to cam to crank sensors not reading at the right time, hope you get sorted pal

If the compression test is fine then it's unlikely that you have a bent valve.

Hello i have a ep3 and when i was out on friday everythong was fine but when i parked up at night and came to start it saterday morning i wouldnt start. All the plugs are sparking and fuel is going to them the car turnes over but wont fire up can any one help please

Back