• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Stone's Fast Road/ Track EP3 Type R

Stone Automotives EP3 Type R

Thought I would throw some pictures up of the progress over the past 2 weeks on a Type R I took in on part Exchange! For those that don't know I run a small business working on the Renault Sport scene and have owned Countless Renault Sport MK2 Clio's over the years but from the start I had always fancied an EP3 Pre-face lift Type R so when one came in recently on Part Exchange I decided to give it a go for a few weeks and in all honesty I really liked it so I decided to keep it for a few months and clean it up as it was in need of some TLC!

Brief History of my Renault Sports I've owned/ Modified personally

Renault Sport MK2 PH2 172

Day of purchase -

Cliobefore.jpg

Cliobefore2.jpg

The Completed item over 2 years of ownership (Miss this car & have regretted selling it ever since :()

DSC01386.jpg

DSC01390.jpg

DSC01398.jpg

DSC01404.jpg

Surrey Rolling Road Dyno Dynamics Rolling road proven 203-BHP / 161-FTB / 960-KGs with out driver

Then I bought a MK2 PH1 172 to save from the scrap yard!

DSC03810.jpg

DSC03807.jpg

DSC03811.jpg

DSC03812.jpg

DSC03808.jpg

Few weeks work later...

DSC02179.jpg

DSC02180.jpg

DSC02186.jpg

DSC02182.jpg

DSC03936.jpg

DSC03818.jpg

DSC02243.jpg

Recently Sold my MK2 PH2 182 -

DSC03287.jpg

DSC03297.jpg

DSC03288.jpg

DSC03293.jpg

DSC03277.jpg

IMG_1297.jpg

So after 5 years of owning 24 MK2 Renault Sport Clio's in varied forms and 1 Megane Sport 225 I decided to keep the Part Exchange to see if the Type R ownership bug would take hold!

11_zpsab725c12.jpg

So the car arrived with 129,000 miles but with very extensive service history & plenty of toys! The MOT had expired so that was first on the list of to do's, Much to my surprise it passed with only 2 advisorys, Both front tyres nearing legal limit! looking back through the service history this was the first MOT ever in 10 years that had an advisory, alot of money had been spent over the years maintaining the car and it was spotless underneath, If I had been told it had covered 60k I wouldn't of doubted it!

So the Toys included -

Buddy Club N+ Coilover Kit
Progress Rear Anti-Roll bar Kit
Unknown Rear strut brace (any one have any ideas, pictures below?)
K-Pro ECU
Rota Slipstream Alloys & Federal RSR Tyres
K&N Induction Set-up
Face Lift front Seats

12_zps8f3e7e45.jpg

11_zps20affe6f.jpg

12_zps3ad54ed0.jpg

First to go was the K-Pro, I have no plans for anything more than an induction set-up so there was money tied up in the ECU that just wasn't needed so that was sold to allow funds for different toys! I've been in the tuning game and it soon becomes an expensive day out in the chase for BHP numbers!

Unfortunately the previous owners did a great job with the servicing etc but the body work & interior were showing signs of there age!

The Centre console had been badly marked so I decided to pull it all out and treat it to refresh plus a head unit up-grade as the standard didn't allow any form of Ipod connection & I missed the hands free from my previous car (Afraid I didn't take any pictures from before!)

All stripped down

2_zps67259f62.jpg

3_zps973f2407.jpg

4_zps9a57120b.jpg

5_zpsd5f25264.jpg

Finished Item -

7_zpse810b62e.jpg

Very happy with the finished item but the Connects 2 double din kit needed a fair amount of work to get it to fit correctly and the colour was off so went with an anthracite grey which does look really smart & a little bit different! painted the door pulls the same colour as they were looking fairly tired!

The head unit streams music via bluetooth from the Iphone so there is no need for cables etc on the go but I've got a Jailbroken Iphone that I have the Tomtom app on and with the Display out mode on winter board I can upload my screen to the head unit (sadly it only has front mounted cable insert for this)

8_zpsfbbc1c9c.jpg

Next up was the key blip, The x2 Original ones had shown big signs of there age and the button often failed to work so I bought A re-refurbishment kit off ebay for £16, Really pleased with it for the price

13_zps88c5be33.jpg

14_zps211bb38a.jpg

Next Job on the list was a general service and Adjust the Valve Clearances

With the Cam cover it was clear the car had indeed had been serviced very regularly, The top end was absolutely mint, I've seen's cars with 50k in much worse a state! so the mileage was no longer a real concern!

15_zps8eede928.jpg

16_zps7d30eff0.jpg

17_zpsede6f16b.jpg

Once the valve clearances were checked/ Adjusted (had been 50k since they were last done) it was onto the oil & filters, Best stuff on the market for road/ track cars I've come across -

181_zpse9c45b53.jpg

182_zpsddf385db.jpg

The gearbox was also all in perfect order, I had been told the pre-face lifts suffer 2nd gear engagement from cold but this has no issue's so would assume it was recall although I can't find any invoices to say its been changed from the original! Either was no issues with Syncro's etc so I aim to keep it that way, Really rate the Castrol SMX-S so that went in too!

184_zps90bcc783.jpg

Then Plugs

18_zpsdcb9dfe9.jpg

With the service all completed the next purchase -

21_zps2ba5dfb8.jpg

Followed by a set of EVO 8 alloys wrapped in a brand new set of Hankook V12 EVO tyres

22_zps8403e8c9.jpg

23_zpsdc605639.jpg

They look really good on the car and the OFF-SET sits them completely in line with the car! I'm gonna get them re-furbished after Christmas as I'll be driving to the French Alps over the winter for abit of Snowboarding and the Snow chains/ Socks end up marking the wheels!

Now leaves me with a set of Track Wheels/tyres -

IMG_1347_zps016976ae.jpg

IMG_1348_zps4d3468df.jpg

If any ones interested I may have these up for sale as I've got my eyes on a set of track wheels with R888's, if your interested drop me a pm! full wheels details can be found here - http://www.driftworks.com/shop/rota-slipstream-17-wheels-all-colours.html

Next Jobs are relatively minor, Machine polish the whole car and get some decent pictures on the SLR Camera but this is how it will stand for the next few weeks -

24_zpscf5747c8.jpg

Thanks,
James

Nice looking EP3. How much did the evo 8 alloys set you back? I've got my eye on a set on ebay. They don't look as in good a condition as yours, could do with a re-furb & don't have tyres, just wondered what a reasonable price would be.

Nice looking EP3. How much did the evo 8 alloys set you back? I've got my eye on a set on ebay. They don't look as in good a condition as yours, could do with a re-furb & don't have tyres, just wondered what a reasonable price would be.

I got the wheels for £200 but all the tyres were the wrong size/ illegal tread so dread to think what the car would have drove like on the tyres supplied! x4 Hankook V12 Evo's in 215/45/17 cost me £320 Fitted, really rate them for the money for daily/fast road use & they have a nice look to them too!

I may get the wheels refurbished after Christmas as although there's no real marks there is abit of corrosion around the centre caps so it would be also ideal to get the caps smoothed and drop some "H" stickers on there for a complete OEM look

Thats looking good on them wheels
I cant make my mind up if i want these style or the other evo wheels
Or go for some light weight 18s
Im keeping my oem for track use

I have also seen them wheels on ebay without tyres but i think i would be mad to travel all that way to pick them up

Like the shade of the center console on the dash
Looks very nice

Thats looking good on them wheels
I cant make my mind up if i want these style or the other evo wheels
Or go for some light weight 18s
Im keeping my oem for track use

I have also seen them wheels on ebay without tyres but i think i would be mad to travel all that way to pick them up

Like the shade of the center console on the dash
Looks very nice

Decided on the Evo wheels as the offset was perfect -

IMG_1342.jpg

And I do really like the look of them, little bit different as there are so many Type R's round here!

Thinking of installing a set of face lift headlights complete with HID bulbs, Forgot how bad normal halogen bulbs are at night :rolleyes:

Yeah they look very smart

I fitted a 8000k hid kit to my prefacelift ones
With 5 smd led sidelights
Silver indicator bulbs
And a good polish

They look much better and the amount you can see at night is great
I think all in it cost about 50 quid (i love ebay)
Fogs are next for hid treatment

I was thinking the same, it's a bit far for me too. Do really like the look of them on the car though, offset is perfect.

Im thinking of going for lightweight 18s and spacing them
I live in the sticks so when i lower it i will hitting things
My fiesta was a nightmare for it 90mm on 16s
Then i made a big mistake fitting a lower strut brace

I test drove one with 18s lowered 35mm and sat perfect with clearence
So i think ** go for that and use my oem for track with sticky tyres

Im thinking of going for lightweight 18s and spacing them
I live in the sticks so when i lower it i will hitting things
My fiesta was a nightmare for it 90mm on 16s
Then i made a big mistake fitting a lower strut brace

I test drove one with 18s lowered 35mm and sat perfect with clearence
So i think ** go for that and use my oem for track with sticky tyres

18's look really big on the EP3, Was originally going to get a set of FN2 Type R alloys but it just looked to "bling" with the 18's for my liking

Back