• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Had my steering wheel retrimmed

Sorry if anyone has already seen this on Civic Type R OC but thought it may be of use to some folk...

Since I got my Ep3 a couple of weeks ago, I had a few things that were niggling about it. The gearknob was badly marked so that went to be replaced by a Skunk2 one, new mats were ordered and the seats were given a wet vac and shampoo. The only thing really letting the interior down was the steering wheel. It was badly worn and generally very tatty with faded / dirty stitching. I looked into a second hand one in better condition but didn't fancy spending the £150 that they seemed to go for on eBay... Then I came across a company that recover steering wheels for high end brands like Lamborghini, Porsche, Audi, BMW etc.I thought it was a long shot but sent an e-mail to see if he would re-trim the civic wheel. As luck would have it, he had two in stock that I could purchase on an exchange basis.

These were the two options I was given :

Civic01-05S2000-blacknapparedstitching02.jpg

HondaCivic-thickerperforatedssidesplaintopbottomblackstitching2.jpg

I went for the plain with red stitching to keep the OEM look.

So I paid for the re-trim plus a deposit (to be refunded when I send my wheel back) and it arrived today! :D/

I am well impressed, the smell of fresh leather greeted me when I opened the box! The double stitching looks great in red and whilst not as uniform as the OEM one, has obviously had a great deal of care taken when stitching it.

So off with the old manky one....

P1040366.jpg

P1040368.jpg

P1040367.jpg

And on with the nice new one....

P1040365.jpg

P1040364.jpg

P1040361.jpg

I think it's just an illusion but the new one feels slightly thicker but has transformed the interior.

I have no affiliation to the company that did the re-trim but feel they deserve a mention, they are called Royal Steering Wheels and the guy there is called Jack. He was super helpful and sent out instructions for fitting and even postage costs for different companies for when I send my old one back!

Thanks for reading, sorry no pictures of it fitted but I only finished half an hour ago after doing it in the dark / rain so I can post the old one off tomorrow!!

I've seen a lot of his retrims on beemers, always looks like top work. Glad he got you sorted out man.

How much was it in the end? looks good. My wheel is fine right now but I'm sure in a year or two I will need to do something like this!

It cost £100 for the retrim plus P&P for each wheel (about £10 each wheel) plus £50 deposit that I will get back when he receives my wheel.

Nothing better than a fresh steering wheel when the one you have is mank.

£100 seems a bargain for a fresh one. From memory I think I paid more than that for a replacement DC2 one that wasn't even new.

It does look good. I know it's OTT but its a shame they could not put the momo mark back on.

It wasn't a Momo Wheel to begin with :lol:

OP new trim looks great :cool:

You beat me to it! MOMO ones are only in the premier edition I think.

Thanks buddy, I've gone from wanting to wash my hands when I got out of the car to wanting to wash them before I get in!!

Looks very smart, Had a look on the web-site and there only 15 minutes away from the girlfriends! My oem wheel has covered 130k so looks even worse than yours, only part of the car that's letting the mileage show!

Back