• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

DIY: HID Install EP3

I'm filming all my mods and service, this is the seconde DIY video i have made. I hope you like the video. My English isn't perfect because i live in the Netherlands.
[video=youtube;3P_otqS0vmI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3P_otqS0vmI[/video]

If there ant questions feel free to ask.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope they're easy to change come MOT time. They're are illegal on cars as an aftermarket mod now. You can have them only if they are self cleaning and auto adjusting.

In the netherlands its not that big of a deal. I only need a approved HID headlight if the car is build before 06 and after that washers. Otherwise you could get a fine but the MOT is no problem as long as youre lights have a flat lightbeam with no glare.

Sorry bud, didn't realise you were on the continent, thought you were in the UK. Apologies for the mix up ;)

NYA please show me where it states that they are illegal NOW. Unless I have missed it the MOT guidance hasn't changed in the past 12 months and they have never been illegal. All it says is that IF fitted the self levelling and headlight washers must work. but if it isn't fitted (and there are a few I could name that are factory fitted and don't have either) it can't be failed.

NYA please show me where it states that they are illegal NOW. Unless I have missed it the MOT guidance hasn't changed in the past 12 months and they have never been illegal. All it says is that IF fitted the self levelling and headlight washers must work. but if it isn't fitted (and there are a few I could name that are factory fitted and don't have either) it can't be failed.

They are illegal I got pulled by traffic police and given a £30 fine and 30 days to remove them. :thumbup:

I'll take my chances on MOT haha, definitely getting HID's for my preface. Didn't realise it was so simple to fit them either!

ive not had any problems, I think what u mean by auto adjuster, is the fact you can adjust them from inside the car, which most modern cars have these days,. due to blinding other road users. I got 6000k, had no issues what so ever, police. m.o.t , or other road users.

HID are only illegal if you have anything lower than 6000k I think

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

No, they're not legal at all unless you have self leveling headlights and washer jets.

They still pass the MOT though as leveling and jets only have to be working if present. If the beam pattern is right, they pass.

Get stopped by a VOSA inspection or by the police though and you'll be looking at points and/or a fine.

Yep I think it is a mot requirement for washers and auto leveling.......but I'm sure most mot tester won't care as long as there working, aimed correctly and isn't blinding other road users

I've been on about 10 different forums and this is one thing that pops up over and over. They're not legal unless you have the bits that go with it like loxy says.

Auto levelling/adjusting means the headlights adjust themselves, you'd have height sensors fitted to the car.

some say that the MOT only states that IF the car has washers and auto levelling is fitted then it must be working, therefore they can't fail them if they're not there. So aslong in theory As the beam pattern is ok then they're fine. This doesn't mean they're legal, it means either the tester isn't doing their job properly or there's a flaw in the MOT system.

Save the hassle, save blinding other road users just get some up rated bulbs. Osram nightbreakers, Phillips bluevisions etc they're good quality bright bulbs that'll be cheaper than HID's and more importantly legal.

Back