• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Coolant change

Hi guys wanting to for my new coolant hoses at the weekend and I've had a search and can't seem to find a guide on here. If someone knows if one could they post. Would be gratefull. Also what coolant to use the honda one? Was looking at the waterless coolant but what do you guys recommend ?

Any help is apriciated

You're trying to find a guide on removing hoses?

Coolant wise, I'd recommend dropping in to a local Honda dealership and buying from there. It's not you're average supermarket garage coolant.

I was going to say :lol: just undo/open the clips and pull the hose off.
It wouldn't be better IMO, the best would be the stuff Honda sell. The Type R isn't a highly tuned racing beast, standard coolant will be sufficient for everyday use. Even my friends who have track dedicated cars just use normal coolant.

What's the best way to refill the system then ? I presume you fill it up through the radiator Or the expansion bottle ?

I've always been told to top up the fluid through the expansion bottle, but on a change I don't think pouring it directly into the rad will harm it as the system will be empty. Obviously when emptying, make sure the rad cap and the expansion bottle caps are off so it can all free flow.

As long as everything is filled back to where it should be and there's no air in the system jobs a goodun. I think the hardest part of all this will be draining it and getting it into a container without covering yourself.

Turn ignition on. Set heater to hot. Switch ignition off. Take off front bumper. Take drain plug out of resavoir tank and radiator. Flush system with hose. Tighten up drain plugs. Fill radiator. Fill resavoir to max mark. Put radiator cap on and turn half way so its on but not tight. Start engine and let fan come on three times. This should let any air out. Top up if required. Tighten radiator cap. Put front bumper back on.

Hope this helps.

I managed to do this without removing the bumper. Just underneath the front bumper slightly towards passenger side from centre there is a cut out in the splash gaurd. There is a drain valve there you can turn to drain the system down completely. I did get a massive air lock when refilling through expansion bottle so filled the radiator directly, worked a treat and took 30mins.

Back