• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Wheel Cleaner - Test & Review

I originally made this thread back in May 2008, but I think it was lost due to the forum crash. As there are a few topics relating to hard baked on dust etc... I thought I would re-create it;

On my OE DC5 alloys, I felt they were letting the car down with the dirt on the inside face of the wheels. Last week I had the wheels off, and gave them a good clean, but most of the dirt (tar spots, baked on brake dust etc...) remained on the wheel.

So on Tuesday this week, I ordered some Autobrite Alloy Xtra from http://www.autobritedirect.co.uk/

Developed primarily for the transport industry for the fast and effective cleaning of wheel covers and rims.It provides good foaming,corrosion inhibition and wetting properties,dissolving grime,break dust,scale,oxides and carbon deposits.. THIS PRODUCT IS BLUE IN COLOUR AND

It was £8.80 plus delivery for 5L. For ease of use, I also ordered a trigger bottle as well. It is normally used at a mix of up to 20-1, so the 5L goes a long way!

P1000646.jpg

Now as the light was fading fast this evening, as I decided to try it out at 8:30pm, I only quickly tackled one wheel;

BEFORE

P1000643.jpg

P1000644.jpg

Now I decided to try the product out at 1-1. After leaving it for 2-3 minutes, I wiped it off with an old sponge, and rinsed thoroughly with water. Results were amazing for such a quick test, as can be seen below;

P1000647.jpg

P1000648.jpg

P1000649.jpg

That was purely from using the Alloy Xtra, water and a sponge. Later on in the weekend, I will probably remove any remaining tar spots etc, and seal the wheels with wheel sealant, as the product is acid based.

I would recommend you use gloves etc... when using it in a strong mix ratio. Also when using it in a strong mix, I would recommend removing your wheels. Below is a pic where I oversprayed onto the rear caliper when I was testing it with the wheel on;

P1000645.jpg

As you can see, it has stripped the corner of the caliper clean, so I would not want to leave any overspray on areas other than the wheel.

So far I am very happy with the product - To think I was maybe considering a refurb of the wheels, this has definitely changed my mind, and for around £10, you get a lot of product.

DONT FORGET THIS PRODUCT IS ACID BASED - SO USE ACCORDINGLY!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Finished off all 4 wheels this morning in the heavy rain. I only took some more pics of one of the wheels, and when back on the car. Same process as above, Autobrite Alloy Xtra left to soak for 2-3 minutes at 1-1 mix. I also used a tar spot remover to get rid of any traces of tar left.

Wheel Before;

P1000650.jpg

P1000651.jpg

P1000652.jpg

P1000654.jpg

P1000655.jpg

P1000656.jpg

Wheel after and quickly dried;

P1000657.jpg

P1000658.jpg

P1000660.jpg

P1000662.jpg

P1000663.jpg

P1000664.jpg

P1000665.jpg

Quick rinse of the car with the snow foam lance and powerwashed off;

P1000667.jpg

Close ups of wheels on car (still raining!)

P1000672.jpg

P1000673.jpg

Overall I am very happy - Wheels have come up to such a great standard, a massive improvement on before. I will now no longer be looking for a second set to refurb!

Due to it raining hard - I decided just to clean the wheels, when its nice and dry and I have more time, I will use a sealant and wax on them.

I can highly recommend using Autobrite's Alloy Xtra if your wheels are in a similar or worse state to mine at the beginning.

I was looking for this thread a couple of months back, but to no avail. Thanks for putting this up again Gunn :smt023

might have to purchase some of this stuff! Nothing ive used has come close to getting off the brake dust etc. Usefull topic :cool:

I used Bilberry wheel cleaner and a clay bar on the front of my wheels and some Wonder Wheels and a stiff brush on the insides. Came up spanking.

The wonder wheels smells like turds when you put it on though. Must be the acid.

God that stuff looks good !! I'd be a bit worried tho with the acid content..

Oh & i really need a snow foam lance :twisted:

Good skills.

God that stuff looks good !! I'd be a bit worried tho with the acid content..

Oh & i really need a snow foam lance :twisted:

Good skills.

I have used Mr Muscle in the past and it's fine Dean.

Regarding the Snow Foam Lance......me needs one too. :twisted:

Back