• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FN2 Test driven Mazda 3 MPS and FN2 back to back

Test driven Mazda 3 MPS and FN2 back to back UPDATE: Ordered FN2

Started off with the FN2, a black GT model number R-000101 with 18" wheels.
When I saw it in the showroom I didn't go wow but I think this was because I had already seen so many photo's and vids, plus seeing it at the Geneva motor show last year I knew what to expect. I don’t think the Black colour helps because all the features ie skirts gets washed out from the Black.
I saw it in red at another dealer and this time I did go wow. So Red would be the colour for me,
The 18” wheels fill the arches but look bland to me. Which is a shame as I wouldn’t want the 19” as they could hamper the ride of the car.

Inside its amazing, very nice seats, excellent dials and instruments that tell you loads of data. A really nice driving position. The gear stick position is nice but for me I found my arm was not long enough to make use of the arm rest and I missed the position compared to the EP3.
Out on the road I found it similar to the EP3. The steering is more heavy and more sure footed but still not massive amounts of feedback. The ride was slightly harder but not excessive and still comfortable even on uneven roads.
The brakes are a good improvement over the EP3, more power early on in the pedal movement which give you more confidence.

As for performance its similar to the EP3 and I didn’t feel the extra weight. I did miss the kick of VTEC at 5800RPM, but you can still hear the change in engine note at around 4500RPM all the way to 8K rpm. The engine note is quite different to the EP3 and sounds awesome, more throaty almost like a touring car type sound.
It is quick, no doubt about it, and I couldn’t tell the difference between the EP3 and the FN2, but personally it didn’t seem so fun. I can’t understand why.

After some haggling for the best deal it was off to Mazda.

The car was out of a demo, so when it returned we watched it drive in.
It was in Red which is bright with a slight orange twinch. It has presence and sits nice and low (this wasn’t the lowered Aero-kit) model. Again the nice features of the body kit and diffuser would be washed out on Black so I’m not sure which colour is best for it.
Inside the dash is nice with clear dials but not a patch on the Civic. Nice seats with half leather, they hold you well but not as good as the FN2.
Out on the road the fun starts.
This cars power is awesome!!!! I’ve never been a fan of Turbo cars but this felt different and I’m not sure why. The power certainly had generated a huge grin on my face!! Then I found how good the LSD was. I had heard all about it but never driven a car with it fitted. Its awesome it just pulls you round the corners allowing you to feed more and more power.
So overall I found it more fun to drive. If your on a straight road it will leave the FN2 well behind and on a track the novice driver will have more fun in the Mazda IMO.
We went out with a freelance Professional driver who later showed us what the car could really do, which was very impressive. It was good to get away from salesman and talk cars to a fellow petrol head who knew what he was talking about.

So the FN2 looks the best, but the Mazda was more fun to drive.
I liked the drive of the FN2 but it didn’t feel as fun as my EP3 so I feel hard to justifying spending the extra money and not really upgrading. The FN2 is an excellent car and it has progressed from the EP3 making it more refined, but for my needs I’m not sure. I would hate to spend all that money and be missing my EP3. Maybe once it’s run in and more free flowing it will match the EP3.
Between the two I don’t think I can make a bad decision but it’s still difficult.

The FN2 will date better and will probably worth more in 2 years. It also looks better and will attract more attention. Were as the MPS put a huge smile on my face.
If I buy the MPS everytime I see a FN2 I will be jealous of the looks, were as if I buy a FN2 I hope I never come across a MPS as it will leave me behind.

If you looking to buy a Type R I strongly suggest you test drive the Mazda. Both are great but for different reasons.

With the deals I got the Mazda MPS is only £300 more expensive, as I think there is more margin on the Mazda compared to the Civic

Last edited by a moderator:
Bear in mind Paul, Turbo's make you feel like you are going faster/accelerating quicker compared to NA cars.

Bear in mind Paul, Turbo's make you feel like you are going faster/accelerating quicker compared to NA cars.

I do appreciate that Chris. I was keeping a close eye on the speedo so I was aware how quick the pick up was. I had to keep a eye on the speedo because it was that rapid.

Getting the best from a Turbo engine would take some getting used to, as I was always using too low a gear and hanging onto the gears for too long. Where really I should keep the higher gear to keep the revs lower and in the power.

good post paul, like the review. I've been thinking about taking a 3 out since my dad looked at a standard one last year, might try to book a drive for thursday when i take the civic out to compare. might have a look at the new leon cupra too while i'm at it, i tried the FR version last year and quite liked that, just lacked power

good post paul, like the review. I've been thinking about taking a 3 out since my dad looked at a standard one last year, might try to book a drive for thursday when i take the civic out to compare. might have a look at the new leon cupra too while i'm at it, i tried the FR version last year and quite liked that, just lacked power

The MPS is a blast and well worth a test drive.
I'm surprised Top Gear didn't rate it higher:-k

You might struggle to find a demo though. A lot of dealers have sold their demos and one dealer just quoted me a 4 month wait if I ordered one today:eek:

But as I would struggle to fit one in my garage and I'm not sure on the available colours I think I'll be going for the FN2.

Good review Paul. My EVO has given me more grief so have given the FN2 some consideration but my Mrs hates it, so much so that she wants me to keep the EVO. It got taken away on the back of an AA truck this afternoon as it won't fire up.

S2000, hmmmm:-k

might have a look at the new leon cupra too while i'm at it, i tried the FR version last year and quite liked that, just lacked power

I saw 2 of these on the road today with the optional body kit & they really do look purposeful!!!
Alot more aggressive than most hot hatches availible imo.

Good review Paul. My EVO has given me more grief so have given the FN2 some consideration but my Mrs hates it, so much so that she wants me to keep the EVO. It got taken away on the back of an AA truck this afternoon as it won't fire up.

S2000, hmmmm:-k

Sorry to hear about the Evo. Emma didn't like the MPS but loves the FN2 in Red. Oh well it will save me paying for Metallic paint.

That's only because of the torque. Most modern turbo engines now deliver their power in a very linear fashion.

The MPS is the most powerful hot hatch out there at the moment and no doubt probably the fastest along with the VXR.

I saw 2 of these on the road today with the optional body kit & they really do look purposeful!!!

The new cupra looks the nuts, 240ish bhp too. My mate's brought an FR and that holds the road really well. I'd probably get a cupra if I was after another hot hatch. Happy with the twins for now though :cool:

- Kevin.

That's only because of the torque. Most modern turbo engines now deliver their power in a very linear fashion.

I actually used to hate taking people out in my old car and them 'thinking' their diesels were quicker, I think most people don't understand the torque vs speed thing.

Long live old school turbo lag, fook all then your planted to your seat and all hell breaks loose :lol:

- Kevin.

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually used to hate taking people out in my old car and them 'thinking' their diesels were quicker, I think most people don't understand the torque vs speed thing.

Long live old school turbo lag, fook all then your planted to your seat and all hell breaks loose :lol:

- Kevin.

Thank fook for Anti-Lag systems:cool: I don't get the Turbo kick, it pulls smoothly from 3000 rpm all the way to 7000 ish rpm!

Well after pulling my hair out for 3 days, I've made my decision and ordered a Milano Red FN2 Civic Type R with GT Pack.

The Mazda was a great car, no doubt about it. The engine is the major selling point which provides a drive that I will remember for a long time:D I found the ride a little softer than the Type R but this didn't take a lot away from the handling and the LSD made for a very good driving experience.
The value for money is excellent 260bhp, and xenon's for £500 more than the FN2.

But the negatives proved too much. I like the stlying from the Front and back, but the side view is very bland, especially compared to the Civic. The same with the interior very nice but nothing compared to the civic.
Also I didn't like the colours it came in, the Red was too orange and the Black made the styling even more bland.
All this added to the fact that it would only fit in my garage with under a inch clearance. It wouldn't be long before me or Emma scrapped it.

The Civic is the far better looking car, and the engine is still great. Albeit lacking in the power compared to the competition but the drive ability and improved engine note help make up for it.

So I've gone with FN2 in Milano Red with the GT pack. I got a very good deal from John Banks in Ipswich with Honda UK providing the mats for free:cool:
It should be here by the end of March.

I will be very sad to see my old EP3 go. Its been the best car I have ever owned and without it I wouldn't have meet some of the great people on these forums or had the experience I have enjoyed. I suspect there may even be a tear shed on the day:(

Very nice Paul.
Looks the best colour to go for fella.

Did you test drive a Renault Megane R26? Or is the arse of that worse than the FN2? :lol:

Would definitely be the Clio for me if I were looking to buy a hot hatch now, especially with the Cup setup being introduced soon.

when my dad was looking they had one with the full touring car livery on and bodykit which did look sweet :cool: dont think i could bring myself to buy a uprated version af a car my dad has tho ;)

I have got a drive of the mazda, there is one being floated round 4 dealerships near me at the moment so managed to get it for straight after the FN2, we shall see

- Kevin.

What you need Kev is to TP'ify' your Skybarge, then it'll rip your face at most rpms :scare:It's truly staggering in performance terms with his new mods.

What you need Kev is to TP'ify' your Skybarge, then it'll rip your face at most rpms :scare:It's truly staggering in performance terms with his new mods.

Probably a good idea if i didnt...i fear the shopping list will increase :lol:

- Kevin.

Back