• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FD2 Running In

I've read this article before, and I think it does hold some ground. However, you are supposed to stop out of VTEC for the first 650 miles (officially) making it difficult to build pressure up in the engine.

I'd be tempted to follow this approach though.

Really?
Who did you hear that you're not supposed to VTEC it for the first 650 miles from?

From what the article says just don't take it to maximum revs....

Seems to be quite a hot topic and open to debate (you'll find a different answer on every type r forum), but I defiantly read it on a website connected to Honda. No VTEC for 650 miles, and no thrashing until 1000.

As mentioned, the article you've linked seems the most sensible to me, and I think I will follow it. Motorway trip home will be unavoidable though

I'm actually toying with the idea of taking the A40 to Oxford and then on from there. At least avoiding the M4.... That should give it it's first 100 miles of A roads...

If it were mine, I'd avoid full throttle in any gear & not rev it above 3.5K for the first 650 miles have the oil changed, then build up by 1000K every 1000 miles until your using the complete rev range then change the oil again.

Just something personal & could well be over kill, but oil is an engines life blood & keeping it ultra clean for the early stages of an engines life & cost minimal money (compared to the purchase price of the car) will pay off in the long run.

Also I'd suggest magnetic oil & gearbox sump plugs ;)

If it were mine, I'd avoid full throttle in any gear & not rev it above 3.5K for the first 650 miles have the oil changed, then build up by 1000K every 1000 miles until your using the complete rev range then change the oil again.

I think that might well be a little over-kill. At least....I hope that's overkill!

At that rate it would take me over 6 months of owning it (I only do 7,000 miles a year!) before I could fully open it up!! Not sure I could wait quite that long!!

The article seems to imply that after 800 miles the engine has done all of its "bedding in".

I think that might well be a little over-kill. At least....I hope that's overkill!

At that rate it would take me over 6 months of owning it (I only do 7,000 miles a year!) before I could fully open it up!! Not sure I could wait quite that long!!

The article seems to imply that after 800 miles the engine has done all of its "bedding in".

As I said it's a personal thing ;)

I would CERTAINLY change the oil after 650 miles & then again at least mid service term. Also whilst at it install the magnetic sump plugs....will stop any metal particles being thrown through the engine whilst chasing 8400rpm

I would CERTAINLY change the oil after 650 miles & then again at least mid service term.

I wouldn't, its all the 'crap' that comes off the engine when new that helps it too bed in. Changing the oil before the first service will just mean it takes longer to wear in.

Running a car in is all commen sense imo.

Just drive it normally but don't constantly rag the arse out of it lol Its more about bedding brakes in etc imo

I wouldn't, its all the 'crap' that comes off the engine when new that helps it too bed in. Changing the oil before the first service will just mean it takes longer to wear in.

Neil - Having tiny metal particles circulating within the engine can't be good inbetween metal moving parts :confused: Will act like a grinder.

I'd rather it take longer to bed my car & change the oil than not.

Neil - Having tiny metal particles circulating within the engine can't be good inbetween metal moving parts :confused: Will act like a grinder.

Honda say not to change the oil before service and seeing as they're the worlds largest engine maker so i'd listen to 'em. Plus they warrent the for 90k miles with oil changes every 12.5k......

Honda say not to change the oil before service and seeing as they're the worlds largest engine maker so i'd listen to 'em. Plus they warrent the for 90k miles with oil changes every 12.5k......

:confused::confused:
I can't argue with Honda, but can't help but think it would be better too change sooner.

Any engine builders here shed some more light?

You can change the oil any time YOU like, as there's nothing intrinsically damaging in doing so.
The US tends to still adopt a 3-5K mile attitude and it works for them.
If you REALLY wanted to know when the oil needs changing, you'd employ the services of oil tests to see at which point the oil's reserve alkalinity was basically zero.

Honda (perhaps unlike other manufacturers?) tend to stuff the car with a high amount of MoS2, which is all well and good to protect the engine when oil isn't flowing, but does nothing for the car if the oil has become acid saturated.

In all honesty, I'd say 6 months is enough - but like all things, that'll be highly dependant on types of journeys and # of cold starts, constantly moving or stop-and-go, etc.

Back