• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Doesn't sound good....

Hi there,

I got my car last week and I have noticed that when I'm coming up to a junction etc in second, and slowing down, I can hear a faint grinding noise. It doesn't do it when Im accelerating and it certainly ain't the brakes. It only stops when I depress the clutch pedal. It is not a loud grinding noise, but I am concerned. I have not had any clutch slipping at all and the noise is faint.......
Any ideas peeps

Thanx in advance, Don

Ps would I be able to take it back to the garage I purcahsed it from to sort it?

Mines doing what seems to be a similar thing, i've only had the car three weeks. It's booked in with the stealers for a week to get the gearbox internals looked at and changed (bearings and the likes afaik).

Yours might be somthing totally different but i'd get on the phone to them as suggested and get it looked at.

Hi guys ive had my premier EP3 for just over a week from a private sale.

mine does what yours is doing with the grinding noise but dunno what it is, its like drive up to 3000rpm-3500rpm and let go of throttle in 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th and it grinds, the only way of stopping it is to put your foot back on the gas.

ive just got back from TGM yesterday and ive had my gearbox oil changed to see it that could rectify it but its still there. i think i might have to call tom back and arrange to let me drive it with him next to me to let him hear it.

ive still got honda warrenty but when i went in there the guy said "if we strip the gearbox down and find that its wear and tear, then you have to pay for labour and parts" which ive heard costing over £1k...

i also spoke to someone else bout it and they think it could be the pressure plate...

any ideas and what procedure would be best???

thanks

Hi buddy, Im off to my garage where I purchased mine from tomorrow and I am gonna pressure them for the warranty side of things as I only got mine 10 days ago. i will keep you updated if I know any more!

Hi guys ive had my premier EP3 for just over a week from a private sale.

mine does what yours is doing with the grinding noise but dunno what it is, its like drive up to 3000rpm-3500rpm and let go of throttle in 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th and it grinds, the only way of stopping it is to put your foot back on the gas.

ive just got back from TGM yesterday and ive had my gearbox oil changed to see it that could rectify it but its still there. i think i might have to call tom back and arrange to let me drive it with him next to me to let him hear it.

ive still got honda warrenty but when i went in there the guy said "if we strip the gearbox down and find that its wear and tear, then you have to pay for labour and parts" which ive heard costing over £1k...

i also spoke to someone else bout it and they think it could be the pressure plate...

any ideas and what procedure would be best???

thanks

i had same noise bang on 3250rpm - 3700 rpm it was the driveshaft heat shield (vibrating on the mesh washes) all i did was loosen it off and retighten with a small bit of cooper grease on the washes, this is very common took me 5 minutes once someone had told me what to look for

I used to own a subaru legacy twin turbo and that had a similar noise but was the turbo heatshield vibrating.....Hope its somethin similar on mine...Doh, no turbo....yet!!

Driveshaft Heatshield very common fault, mine started after i had changed the oil then washed back of the engine to remove spilt oil around the filter, it was the water that caused the noise just loosened and retightend bolts using copper grease and 8 months later all is fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
yeh but when i lift off between 3000rpm-3500rpm the grinding sound is there with the throttle off all the way till i go back to idle speed when there is no grinding sound... is it still the same symptoms rickhondar???

could you kind enough to post me or put on this post a lil guide of what you suggest as a step by step guide???

thanks very much

i noticed mine when moving with no throttle but when i revved with bonnet up top end of engine sounded very bad, its amazing how sound transmits but for 3 bolts and 10minutes what have you got to loose?

Had it looked in to today, and I also got a second opinion incase the garage I purchased it from blagged me. My second opinion was a from a friend with a reputable garage, both said it was a bearing in the clutch. My friend told me not to worry as it wont do any detrimental damage to my clutch/gearbox and it aint worth changin until it is time to replace the clutch. Hope you get yours solved.
Don

are you gonna leave it then DONKEY?

my cuz in canada who works for infinity, suspects that that the clutch has gone...as hard driving can break a clutch spring.

also all clutch problems are not covered under warrenty.

time to look for a performance clutch maybe???

Back