• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FN2 Stone chips

I honestly love my FN2 GT, but lord on earth does the paintwork chip bloody easily! :eek:

Motorways are the worst obviously. It's only 5 months old too which for me drives me insane. I know you can't keep the car "new" forever, but the feeling that you don't need to check the paint after every motorway or A road run would be nice!!!

Being Milano also doesn't help............... and i feel sorry for all the NHB owners too at this point! :)

I get the feeling Silver may have been the better choice!

Would anyone agree this is common feeling?

My NHB is really annoying no matter how hard I try it gets coated instone chips and whats with using white primer on a black car? I had my bumper re-sprayed by Honda due to paint peel and within 4 motnhs it was more white than black.

Honda do use thin paints as well which doesn't help and I know of many Honda owners and a couple with Milano FN2's that would also agree. Not very impressive

yes mate i had an NHB Fn2 for about 5 months before doing a lamp post/bonnet conversion but before that it would chip like mad!! like i said only had it for about 5 months and the bonnet looked like a satalite picture of the sola system!!! and the paint on the door edges was nearly all gone too!!!!! difficult to know what to do, i now have an Ep3 and every time i clean it im tempted to get a new bumper/bonnet and front respray but i feel once the OCD reaches this proportion i should be caged. CW i fell is the only colour which would avoid this but i might be wrong.

Coloured primer is the way forward, at least then it would reduce the affect and noticability of the chips.

Can't you buy a film or get it professionally done by a company that isn't actually noticeable, but covers and protects the front of the car from this very problem?

Yes there are a couple of companies that do this, unfortuantely for me the don't make customer ones so got no chance of getting one for my bumper :) Oh well respray here we come lol

Its a common thing with the paint Honda use, people complain its soft but if it was soft it wouldn't chip so easy. IMO it chips because it's brittle.

Probably a result of it being so thin. If it was thicker it would be softer and you would get dimples rather than chips which is far better IMO

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes i agree.

You can see how thin the paint is when a chip appears. Compared to the Mrs Yaris, it's like paper! Mind you, having metallic may help as isn't that thicker?

Yes there are a couple of companies that do this, unfortuantely for me the don't make customer ones so got no chance of getting one for my bumper :) Oh well respray here we come lol

What a pain! I may resot to this every 3 years!!!! :)

Very, i'm not sure on exact thinknesses once painted on but from looking at other pain jobs and from talking to a few friends in the now Honda paint sems to be about half the thickness of a lot of other paints used. It's is designed to still work as well but obviously doesn't. Don't take my word as gospel though as i'm going on advice but this came from reliable sources lol

I honestly love my FN2 GT, but lord on earth does the paintwork chip bloody easily! :eek:

Motorways are the worst obviously. It's only 5 months old too which for me drives me insane. I know you can't keep the car "new" forever, but the feeling that you don't need to check the paint after every motorway or A road run would be nice!!!

Being Milano also doesn't help............... and i feel sorry for all the NHB owners too at this point! :)

I get the feeling Silver may have been the better choice!

Would anyone agree this is common feeling?

I really feel for you guys....
I have a satin silver and can confirm that stonechips are not that much of a problem unless they hit the plastic bumper that hard they make a dent. Yesterday i cleaned the mother-in-laws black ford focus :eek: oh my god its an 05 plate the front and some of the side is covered in stone chips i have vowed never to buy a black car! It would drive me insane trying to cover up all those stonechips. One thing about satins is the tar but at least this can be cleaned stone chips are not so easily cured :(.

I have the same problem with mine...its terribly upsetting. I thought the bonnet was bad, but there are some corkers on the bumper with the pain has been "torn" away to expose the black plastic.
Honda quoted 400 euros for the bonnet and bumper resprayed. Might be worth it, but why in the hell should I fork out because Honda have been stupid and cut corners with the paint job?

I have the same problem with mine...its terribly upsetting. I thought the bonnet was bad, but there are some corkers on the bumper with the pain has been "torn" away to expose the black plastic.
Honda quoted 400 euros for the bonnet and bumper resprayed. Might be worth it, but why in the hell should I fork out because Honda have been stupid and cut corners with the paint job?

It's a right pain mate. I'm thinking if the paint chips are like this after 5 months and 6k, what's it going to be like after 3 years???? :eek:

It's a right pain mate. I'm thinking if the paint chips are like this after 5 months and 6k, what's it going to be like after 3 years???? :eek:

Mines now a year old with 14k on it, and it looks like someone set a claymore off in front of it!
I'll get some pics up and show you when I get chance.

Mines now a year old with 14k on it, and it looks like someone set a claymore off in front of it!
I'll get some pics up and show you when I get chance.

:eek: Crikey.......... and yes post em' up!

If say, we go for a front repsray from a Honda Dealer, could/would they effictively provide a thicker coat of paint?

Honda will not do but a good sprayer will. Honda usually outsource anyway and as such try and keep it as cheap as possible. You best bet is to speak to a couple of good body shops and see if the will do an extra coat of paint and lacquer. Bear in mind though that this will make it a slightly different colour due to the thickness and will be harder to match

I spoke with Honda about different "compounds" of paint the body shop can put on.
1 option was to put a "soft" paint on that would deal with the impacts better but the finish isnt so nice. And rather than chip, it would mark the paint.
The 2nd option was to go for a "hard" paint that was thicker and stand up to impacts better. However, because its such a hard compound, a good impact will "shatter" the paint and cause even bigger chips!
I'm not a paint guru, so all of this may be crap! But I'm not sure what to go for here!

Honda will not do but a good sprayer will. Honda usually outsource anyway and as such try and keep it as cheap as possible. You best bet is to speak to a couple of good body shops and see if the will do an extra coat of paint and lacquer. Bear in mind though that this will make it a slightly different colour due to the thickness and will be harder to match

What he said!:D

The Honda I deal with outsource, and apparently this body shop deal with all the local main dealers (Honda, BMW, Opel...). So I hope they know what they are talking about.
And the guys at the Honda dealer know me as the "Englander" and we get on really well, so I'm sure they'll get me the finish I need.
But still...ballache!

Back