• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

How to fit a JDM carpet to an EP3 (or any other carpet for that matter)

Loxy

Site Treasurer
Administrator
My first How-To so here we go!

You will need
10mm socket
14mm socket
Ratchet driver for the above
Phillips screwdriver
Small flat head screwdriver
Scissors :eek:
About two hours if you are being careful

I would recommend doing this on a nice dry day as you don't want the carpet to be wet when you put it in. I also took a towel with me because personally when I'm jumping about in a car for a couple of hours I get a bit leaky...:rolleyes: even with the windows open!

I also bagged up all of the bolts and screws with a note of where they came from, that way you won't be left with a couple of screws and thinking, where the @^%& did these come from!

First up a few pics of the car as it used to be:
Dsc01994.jpg

Dsc01995.jpg

I have not photographed everything, simple things I just did before getting the camera out so will try to remember to include these bits!! I'm not going to tell you how to put it all back in because it is the reverse of taking it out!:lol: If there are any sticky bits going back in, I will mention them as I go. Also my car is a facelift so there may be slight differences in screw types but I would expect it will probably be the same.

First thing to do is whip out the passenger seat. It's the easiest and will give you some more room to work in. There is no sensor on this seat so just four bolts.

The first two to do are at the back. So slide the seat all the way forward and get in the back. Now only loosen these for now using the 14mm socket.
DSC01997.jpg

Next get out of the car and slide the seat all the way back. This is why we only loosened the back ones so the seat doesn't move about and bend the rails. You should now be able to see and take out the front two, again with the 14mm.
DSC01998.jpg

DSC02000.jpg

You should be able to undo the rear ones by hand and now lift the seat out. Be careful with the rails so that you do not scratch your paint or door cards on the way out!

It should now look like this:
Dsc02001.jpg

Next slide the driver's seat all the way back and unscrew with the phillips screwdriver the mat stay.
DSC02006.jpg

Next disconnect the seatbelt sensor under the driver's seat.

Here's a few pics.
Dsc02003.jpg

DSC02002.jpg

To undo the plug you just squeeze on the tab and pull, easy. The cable is held on with two lugged zip ties. Use the small flat head screw driver to poke the tab inside the zip tie head up and pull the tie out from the back. This avoids the need to pull the lug out from underneath the seat and risk damaging it.

Now the sensor is off you can take the driver's seat out exactly the same way as the passenger's.

Look, now much more room to work!! :lol:
Dsc02008.jpg

At this point it might be worth hoovering out the car so that you don't end up with a load of stones under your new carpet later on!!

Remove the foot-rest. It just pulls off.
DSC02004.jpg

Now we need to remove the centre console that houses the handbrake, cubby and ashtray etc.

Undo the two screws at the back of the handbrake console, one at either side behind the handbrake, under the cup holder here:
Dsc02014.jpg

Undo these two screws in the middle centre section with the phillips screwdriver. There is one at each side.
Dsc02010.jpg

Once you've done that the rear section will unclip from the front and you can get that out of the way for now.

Next take out the two plugs one at either side at the front in the footwell. These are funny little blighters. To get them out you need to get your hand round the back push the pin in the middle. The little pin comes out and the four prongs narrow and the plug will come out. To put these back in it take the pin out completely and push the plug in and then the pin to fix into position.
They look like this.
DSC02009.jpg

Now open the cubby hole under the Type R serial plate and take out the rubber mat. Here you will find two bolts that you take out using a 10mm socket.
Dsc02012.jpg

You need a fairly small ratchet driver to be able to fit into the cubby and this takes forever as you can only swing it a couple of clicks. At this point, I also made a big boo boo. See next pic.
DSC02020.jpg

These bolts go through the car floor to the under-belly of the car. Consequently they will be rusted up at the end. I would therefore recommend spraying them from below with WD40 before undoing them to avoid a snapped bolt like me.
DSC02018.jpg

Doh! :evil: Anyhow, drilled it out and a trip to Halfords later and all is fine!

Next take out the ashtray, pull down the chrome plate at the top and it slides out. Remove these couple of beauties hiding away in there with the phillips screwdriver, being careful not to drop them in the void at the back. If you do don't worry, because all the surrounding plastic is coming out shortly!!
Dsc02015.jpg

Now with a bit of manouvering the whole remaining middle section should lift out.

Next you can undo the rails that hold the seat belts. Two bolts on each rail. I didn't photograph this as it was a bit obvious. These are a 14mm socket.

Next you will need to lift the front of the back seats up. Just give them a tug at either side straight up and they will lift up like this.
Dsc02016.jpg

When you put these back, just lean on the seat and they will click back into place.

Right, you should be able to start pulling the carpet out from the back now!! :twisted: It will be tucked into all of the side panels so be careful not to put too much upwards pressure on them and try to pull the carpet from the middle in. That way you won't risk breaking the side panels.

The next bit bothered me at first but there is not really any way round it without making a shed load of work for yourself. I didn't get any pics because I was having a dilema about whether I was doing the right thing... :confused:

The carpet must be one of the first things that they put in the car because a piece of carpet runs through the handbarke housing. Without taking the handbrake assembly off there is no other way but to get the scissors and snip it, just in the middle so you can then get this round the handbrake. It is the same at the front at the bottom of the dash in the foot-well. The section where the dash mounts to the floor also has two bits that run through the mount, so no alternative but to snip away!!

Now be careful to pull the seatbelt sensor from the diver's seat through the hole in the carpet before you start tugging the carpet out of the car!!

And Robert is your mother's brother, your car looks like it's just been vandalised by Pimp My Ride....
Dsc02017.jpg

I then took my old carpet and laid it on top of my new carpet and made the same but neater cuts on the new one. This is why I was slightly bothered, because I had paid extra for an 'un-cut' carpet. In my opinion, do not bother because you need to cut it to fit it!! Obviously check that it isn't ripped or torn.

Next put your new carpet in the car. I started by putting the back on first and anchoring it with the back seat where it pushes back in. Then lay the carpet flat out and start tucking it into the side panels. The second major reference point is the ridge where the front of the seat rails mount. Check the holes line up and that you have fed the seat belt sensor back through the carpet. Tuck it all in on both footwells and it should look like this!

Dsc02019.jpg

Work backwards to mount the centre console section and put the footrest and mat stay back on , refix the seatbelt rails and put the seats back in, making sure you connect the seatbelt sensor plug and you're done!!

It took me 1 1/2 hours from the start to get the carpet out and half an hour to put the new one in and all the bits back in. :p

End result....
Dsc02021.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
For some reason i thought carpets and mats were the same, and i was thinking why would anyone need to know how to take them out :lol:.

Yes i am the idiot. Great write up mate, and looks really good with the red on the seats :cool:

used this guide yesterday, fitting my premier interior i managed to get a hold of! :twisted: superb guide, fairly straight forward job, but this guide helped take the thinking out of it! :D

Attachments

• 024.JPG
    024.JPG
    699.2 KB · Views: 99
  • 025.JPG
    025.JPG
    861.4 KB · Views: 87
  • 027.JPG
    027.JPG
    846.8 KB · Views: 70
was on ebay, only the seats were advertised, got talking and he said he had the other bits (i didnt need the door cards) and we struck a deal, i have been on the hunt for these seats for the right price for months now, most jokers want £800+ :lol:

Bit of a silly question, but would it be possible to buy any standard carpet out of an upholstery store and fit it or do i need to buy the jdm as they're quite expensive?

How to fit a JDM carpet to an EP3 or any other carpet for that matter

wow. i cant believe someone actually took the time to take/post pics of that.good job no0b. maybe the other n0obs will follow suit.

Fantastic thread mate. I just installed my brand new jdm carpet with the help of your guide :) Mind you it did not take me two hours, more like four lol but job done. Had to go to Honda and but new under seat clips for the wires haha Could not for the life of me get them off so said feck it your getting cut off :) But again thanks.

I wouldn't mind doing this as the numpty who had my EP3 before me never used bloody floor mats, so theres a hole in the carpet by the pedals. what a cheap muppet,

I got a price from honda for a new carpet but they wanted £300 +

were's the cheapest place to get hold of a good quality new carpet?

Cheers

were's the cheapest place to get hold of a good quality new carpet?

Begs the question as to why you bought the car if you knew the carpet had a hole in it?

anyways ebay, here or CTRO will be the best bets but they don't come around often on here or CTRO.

Back