• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Search results

1. tom83

Type r ep3 induction kits dyno valve clearances

Have you had had your modifications mapped properly, or just fitted them and carried on?
  2. tom83

LSD ep3 question

I had a Wavetrac LSD fitted to my FI EP3, was excellent to be fair.
  3. tom83

Vibra Technics engine mounts EP3

I had the Vibra-Technics Competition Engine mounts, and they were spot on. Very little vibration through the steering wheel and stopped the engine rocking. Highly recommended by myself.
  4. tom83

FN2 Newbie tuning advice please

I have the shell, motor and gearbox. Plans were to put them in a EG or EK. The dilemma is yours, personally what I really loved about my EP3 was it was a complete sleeper, it was only looking at it from the front you would have known it was different from a standard EP3. The fun I had...
  5. tom83

Problem viewing recent pages of threads

Same problem here. :smt041
  6. tom83

It's not the BHP that will kill a motor, it's the torque. Mine was torque limited to just over 300ftlb. Ben at TDi North was running over 500bhp in his k-swapped EG. There are a couple of reasons I recommend turbo over SC, but the main reason is power delivery. A supercharger delivers power via...
  7. tom83

I was running 460bhp+ and 310ftlb torque on completely stock internals, never had an issue. I also had a wavetrac LSD and Stage 4 Competition Clutch. The car took a battering at Santa Pod regularly, as well as being my daily for a while also. Like I said, I never had any issues with the motor...
  8. tom83

I had both the rotrex intercooler supercharger, and a TDi North turbo kit. If you are worried about being bored in a N/A FN2, you will get bored with a SC eventually. In my honest opinion go turbo, it's just better.
  9. tom83

Boot Lid Digging Into Paintwork

It's not been in a shunt and been poorly repaired has it?
  10. tom83

My EP3, TDi Turbo Kit. 420bhp + 300ftlb @ 12Psi. 12.6s @119mph, Street Tyres

TDI North will build you a kit to your specifications. They are excellent with K20s.
  11. tom83

Want to upgrade power reliably?

To be honest, the rotrex was fine. You have to keep on top of the fluid levels, but besides that it was pretty much spot on. The reason I got rid was I got bored of it after about a month. It acts like a normal motor, only a bit quicker. Its down to this, if you want 300bhp and you don't care...
  12. tom83

Want to upgrade power reliably?

Read through my build thread. I had both on my EP3.
  13. tom83

EP3 Ep3 civic turbo

No, my motor was never split open. Only a new timing chain and tensioner were replaced Mine covered a good 15k miles as a daily, and was thrashed at Santa Pod regularly. Ben Smith at TDI North had his turbo EG, running 500bhp for years. Also the lad who bought my turbo kit is still running it...
  14. tom83

EP3 Ep3 civic turbo

Not necessarily Chris. I happily ran 470 on stock internals.
  15. tom83

EP3 Ep3 civic turbo

Have a read through my build thread. Loads of info on my turbo EP3.
  16. tom83

EP3 EP3 dash removal

Not really a big job. If I remember correctly, you can remove the centre part that surrounds the radio and heater vents separately, without removing any more of the dash.
  17. tom83

Powder coating, enamel paint, or epoxy?

I used to powder coat stuff. If they are putting that much paint on a rim that it's causing the tyre to slip, they are doing something seriously wrong. Powder coating works by by a static charge attracting the paint to the metal object you want to coat. The charge applied is so minimal you...
  18. tom83

Quaife vs MFactory LSD

I had the wavetrac LSD. No complaints from me.
  19. tom83

EP3 EP3 with stock ECU, yet, later VTEC and higher limiter?

Are you 100% sure it's a stock Ecu? Could have Flash Pro or another piggyback programmable Ecu.
  20. tom83

EP3 What did you do to your EP3 today?

Considered taking an angle grinder to it over coming bank holiday and cutting it into little pieces.
  21. tom83

EP3 2019 forced induction choices

Have a read through my build thread, there is loads of info on the Intercooler Rotrex I was running on there, along with issues and maps etc. I updated with the negatives and positives before I went turbo.
  22. tom83

EP3 2019 forced induction choices

I've had both supercharger and turbo on my EP3. The Rotrex Race SC and a custom TDI North turbo build. In my opinion a turbo is the better option when it comes to FI. Although in most cases it is more expensive, but it's just better. A SC is pretty much as it comes, it builds power as the engine...
  23. tom83

EP3 Rust! Anybody no? Rust

Think at that age they will all be similar unless they have been rust treated. Especially after a winter where the roads have been salted heavily.
  24. tom83

So it's a 14 year old car, have you had the underside treated with any anti rust paint?
  25. tom83

How old is it?
  26. tom83

Honda EP3 bolt on turbo kit

No mine was a custom made kit rated to 800bhp. I was only tickling it at 14psi. In all honesty, I haven't e looked at bolt on kits for a long time, but I do know TDI North are still making thier drive in, drive out kits for I think £6k, I might be wrong about the price though. Although they do...
  27. tom83

Honda EP3 bolt on turbo kit

If your looking at a bolt on kit that cost less than £2000, I wouldn't bother. Its cheap for a reason. Flimsy parts, probably won't make the gains your looking for, and it would always be in the back of my mind that the turbo could disintegrate and send metal into your motor and destroy that...
  28. tom83

FN2 FN2 Turbo Kit

EP3 turbo kits won't fit an FN2. Also that turbo kit is cheap, personally I wouldn't want it in my engine bay. If anything was to go wrong, it's a motor killer.
  29. tom83

EP3 - Buddyclub Short Shifter Assembly

I though they had stopped making them. Email buddyclub direct.
  30. tom83

EP3 Supercharged Ep3

Have a read through my build thread. I wrote a lot about my Rotrex before I went turbo. Honest opinion, if you're thinking of going FI, go turbo. In my opinion it's the better option.
  31. tom83

Do I need a BBK at this point

No, just get yourself some decent pads and fluid. A change of discs if money allows, but in all honesty, if your set on going for a BBK, I would just the set up as it is until you go forced induction. Something to think about when you get a BBK, you may need to run spacers to get them under the...
  32. tom83

EP3 Hillclimb Project EP3

Another here shouting for the Buddyclub Short shifter. Cracking bit of kit.
  33. tom83

Civic Type R EP3 TURBO/SUPERCHARGER?

I had both on my Civic, completely stock engine, no issues at all, even when I was pushing 14psi through the turbo. The K20's are bulletproof.
  34. tom83

Hazz's 1971 mental Mini Clubman - JDM B18CR engine

Is that a Concerto in the background. I had one of those, a 1.6 16v. Still had Rover seat belts though, so I always had a little hesitation when gunning it.
  35. tom83

EP3 Ferry crossing. How to disable car alarm?

Lock the car with the key.
  36. tom83

Dyno Dilemma

Or more interestingly, it could be running a map that you don't know it has, for other mods. Have you looked at the ECU, is it standard?
  37. tom83

Dyno Dilemma

At a guess, your modifications are not supported by a map.
  38. tom83

Good track days for novice in NW?

You do have Oulton Park and Anglesea, both run a lot of track days throughout the year.
  39. tom83

Snapped bonnet release handle

Full cable IIRC.... Or leave a pair of pliers in the door card, as I did.
  40. tom83

EP3 Absolute bargain!

When I had mine, when washing the car, I just used to shove a rag into the scoop. Never had an issue.
  41. tom83

TDI 3" 400 CEL cat

Im 99% sure EP3 Pete had one on his EP3, as I think he acted as guinea pig for the MOT for TDI.
  42. tom83

Ep3 fog scoops

There was somebody on the forum who either made them, or got them made in a group buy. Have a search of the group buy thread. Other than that, I think Fibreworx have a mould to make one. They are on Facebook.
  43. tom83

3 inch for supercharged ep3

I had a custom 3" system made for my EP3 whilst it was supercharged. B-Pipe and backbox from a place called Pipeworx in Hoscar. £450 IIRC. It made 12bhp at the top end over a standard system, and about 25-30bhp midrange. It was stupidly loud.
  44. tom83

When I was looking at Hill climbing, as long as it had a valid Mot you could race. Hence interior stripping, but leaving the seats in. Also the glass could be swapped out for Perspex, as long as it met Mot guidelines.
  45. tom83

Are you planning on using the car on the road also? Put it on a diet, whip the carpets out, the roof lining, if you replace the front seats with some lighter racing seats, and replace the glass (bar the window screen) with perspex. Will save you a lot of unnecessary weight, and keep you within...
  46. tom83

You going to need a pretty aggressive geometry set up to get it round the tight corners quickly. If your stripping weight, the 197bhp standard power will be plenty for hill climbing, anymore would just be overkill. Good luck
  47. tom83

EP3 EP3 Newbie, Need to put stock Air box + Filter back onto car, anyone know how

Im 99% sure there is a 'how to' guide to doing the original air box mod, which will explain the removal and re assembly of the airbox
  48. tom83

civic EP3. first changes ?

Pretty much, for the same money you could probably turbo it, and get more power. I'm 99% sure TDi North do a drive in, drive out kit for £5k, thats 350bhp easy. Or you could keep an eye out for a second hand Jackson Racing Supercharger, probably a grand second hand, £800ish quid fitted and...
  49. tom83

EP3 no power, sounds like a tractor, misfire on all cylinders help

There is a motor in a shell on my drive, come and take what you need. (The whole shell removed would be helpful.)
  50. tom83

I would be amazed if you didn't make 250ish with those mods. Also don't forget when you get the car mapped, if done by a decent mapper, the artificial power surge will be mapped out of it, and a more straight line map will replace it, so it will pull like a train through to 8400rpm. Also keep...
  51. tom83

I'm not up to date with prices these days, but bolt on Mods include; RBC intake manifold, An air intake ( Tegiwa M is probably the best bet ) 4 2 1 Branch Exhaust Manifold ( Friendly MOT place needed) A 2.5" B-Pipe ( Exhaust center section ) A decent back box ( Magnex, answers the question in...
  52. tom83

You will get 240-260bhp with all the bolt on Mods. The rattle is probably the heat shield above the CAT. I was running 470bhp by the time TDi North had finished.
  53. tom83

Handling first. As Mike.H says. Camber arms and bolts, full Geo set up, decent tyres. You will be surprised how much better it feels once its planted. LSD is an expensive option, but if your planning a clutch and flywheel change and its in budget thens the time to do it. Kpro is a good choice...
  54. tom83

My EP3, TDi Turbo Kit. 420bhp + 300ftlb @ 12Psi. 12.6s @119mph, Street Tyres

Only my bank balance after spunking almost £35k on the EP3 over 4 years.
  55. tom83

Front upper strut bar for Ep3

Simply, No, it actually did nothing to improve anything, except look good.
  56. tom83

EK9 in salvage yard

Sat in work at dinner time, looked out the window and spotted this; Doesn't look like there is too much damage, front bumper, bonnet, NS wing, possibly a headlight. Definitely not enough damage for it to be written off. Went on a quick search of the salvage yard auction site, and it hasn't...
  57. tom83

What did you do to your Type R today?

Spent quite a while looking at it in contempt. Wondering if I should cut it up and scrap it, or just arrange a hiab to come and remove it.
  58. tom83

Exhaust corroded in 3 years!

It doesn't really matter what something costs, if its made of cheap materials it will fail. Especially with exhausts where it is such a thin steel in places.
  59. tom83

EP3 First buy track project!

A sump baffle would be pretty high on my list for a track car. Should be more than capable with the mods you have listed.
  60. tom83

Strut brace that clears Tegiwa

If you can find the sizes, pretty much any decent hardware shop will sell the bolts.
  61. tom83

Strut brace that clears Tegiwa

J Racing will clear the Teg Intake
  62. tom83

Loose at high speed

At the speeds done on the road, I really doubt downforce is the issue. It's not a F1 car after all. I would be looking at handling issues, possibly poor spec tyres. Have you tried swapping the Yokahama's and putting them on the back. That will rule out the tyres pretty quickly.
  63. tom83

Loose at high speed

I'd start with a full Geometry set up. Get the toe and camber right, and it will feel much more planted.
  64. tom83

Adding a Turbo to an EP3

It will be more noticeable than 40bhp, and cheaper in the short term. Also the car will be set up properly for when more power is added.
  65. tom83

Adding a Turbo to an EP3

First thing you should look at is Camber Arms and Bolts, possibly shorter springs, and a full, proper Geometry set up. You will be amazed at how much more you can push the car round bends, without engine mods.
  66. tom83

Adding a Turbo to an EP3

Honestly, I dont know. There is too many options now. I do know if I was ever to go back to forced induction, it would be 4 wheel drive. That was the only real downfall to my Civic, plant your foot in 4th and it would start spinning, especially on wet roads. It might be my old age kicking in ...
  67. tom83

Adding a Turbo to an EP3

I turbo'd my EP3, although it was a 1 off kit. Snooks post is excellent above. I loved mine, it was fast and stealthy, and I had a lot of fun. But EP3's are getting on now, and although they are a fantastic car, there are better and faster options on the market now, all dropping in price...
  68. tom83

Advice needed please. Gearbox mount issue!

You could probably use a helicoil. Tap the ruined hole out a little larger than it should be, and use a thread insert, and then screw in an original sized bolt. Im pretty sure you can buy the kit for less than £20, with instructions.
  69. tom83

EP3 what's the best mods to do on a civic type r ep3?

Don't mess about trying to go quick in a straight line, get it sharp in the corners and enjoy the A roads. Camber arms and bolts and a full FRSU, and an ECU and proper remap.
  70. tom83

EP3 Vtec problem

Have you checked your oil recently?
  71. tom83

Noise limits

Get a mate to hang out the boot while driving down a quiet road. Failing that, as Loxy says, most tracks will accommodate you being neutral limited.
  72. tom83

Kpro v1

I sold my KPro3 a few years ago for £300.
  73. tom83

Bucket Seats + Braided Lines

Goodridge braided hoses Cobra Imola Pro seats. They are a little wider, but massively supportive. Personally I wouldn't bother with a BBK, I would just get a pair of Spoon Monoblock callipers, Ferodo DS2500 pads, and OEM discs.
  74. tom83

I'm thinking of getting some Meiser R coilovers for my dc5

I had Meister R - Zeta R's on my EP3. They were very good for the money. I had no issues. Just remember to bladder them in copper slip so they don't seize.
  75. tom83

Turbo parts needed

Get your cheque book ready.... Turbo Wastegate Intercooler Turbo Manifold Downpipe Wastegate Pipe Fuel Pressure Regulator Injectors Fuel Pump Boost Control Solenoid Kit 4 Bar Map Sensor Battery Relocation The exhaust stuff I doubt you can buy off the shelf, and will probably have to get made...
  76. tom83

High pitched noise coming from the intake manifold area

We have huge vibrating gearboxes in work, when a bearing fails it squeals and makes a sound similar to your video, until it collapses completely and smashes the gears. Obviously it wasn't that and just a loose TB.
  77. tom83

Cam cover powder coating

You can put a resin (or bluetac) in the threads and holes, which just peels out. But as Loxy says, Powder Coating isn't particularly suited to high temps, as it cures at less than 200 degrees, spray painting with suitable paint is the way forward for cam covers. Spooner does a cracking job, and...
  78. tom83

High pitched noise coming from the intake manifold area

That video sounds like when we have a collapsed bearing at work. When the rollers come out and casing are grinding against each other, before they fail. It does sound like metal on metal, but I haven't got the best sound quality here.
  79. tom83

3.0 V6 24v 2 door Honda Accord :eek:

This is lovely, South African import. So clean. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-Accord-Coupe-3-0-V6-24V-/263036258655?hash=item3d3e2ec95f:g:6e8AAOSwFJBZQPRc
  80. tom83

Hazz's 1971 mental Mini Clubman - JDM B18CR engine

I love this, can't wait to see it when its properly set up as you want it H. Bet its brilliant to drive.
  81. tom83

Pete's TDi North/Grinspeed tuned NHB CTR & BMW 335i Coupe

Lol, Im not going to lie Pete, it crossed my mind. Quite a lot, all day to be honest. But I think Im going to stick with the MX5 and see where that takes me.
  82. tom83

I had Lexus lights in my Vectra GSi, circa 2004. Probably the most expensive part of the car. Incidentally, in my recent eBay searches, I found an EG, 1.5lsi currently at £450, nowhere near as tidy as Petes, but a good starting point for someone.
  83. tom83

Is it Bens Pete? Its an absolute minter if it is. Its a tough decision, but either way its a cracking car.
  84. tom83

Got everything for a K-swap here if you want it Pete.... ;)
  85. tom83

I think I know where this is going.....
  86. tom83

Glass scratches

Does anyone recommend a product that will buff out scratches on a window screen? Ive bought Bec a Fiesta, and the front window looks like its been cleaned with a wire brush. Its full of light scratches. Is there anything that will polish them out?
  87. tom83

Please help with your knowledge to make sure I have not been scammed

Out of curiosity, how much did you pay for it?
  88. tom83

Yeah, I edited it when I realised it was different years with the K24. The link up now is the correct one and the year of manufacture is stamped on the drivers side of the engine. I would go along with 2001 as being more than likely, unfortunately for Ben.
  89. tom83

I googled it. Look on the driverside of the engine. Just below the valve cover should be numbers there. 02, 03, 04. That number is the year of the motor. A link to the page, with pictures.... http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=3951
  90. tom83

Im 99% sure both Pre and Facelift motors are K20A2. The engines in both models are exactly the same. Facelift flywheels do have holes in. Where as your new one does not.
  91. tom83

EP3 Just put down a deposit for this EP3 today, any thoughts guys?

As Loxy says, give it a wire brush, and get a can of sealant if you want to protect it. I wouldn't worry about surface rust, if you can't push your finger through it, worry then.
  92. tom83

Modding noob tme

Forget intake and exhaust, just no. Step away from engine mods. My advice for you is get some Eibach lowering springs, some adjustable camber arms, and get a full geometry set up done. Professionally. Get the thing to handle properly before you go down the power route. Also bear in...
  93. tom83

Civic Type R EK9 K20 Project

Impressive. How are the Hasport mounts? Are they a drop in part, or did they need modifications to get everything correct?
  94. tom83

HELP.... Guide to working out PSI Boost too BHP is it possible ???

As Stu said, it isn't a linear line. There are too many variables. Heres the figures from when I was having my turbo built, As you can see the difference between 7 - 8psi is only 10bhp, but the jump from 11-12psi is 19bhp. It went on to make 467bhp at 14psi.
  95. tom83

Buckled Alloy

Have you tried Wheel Repair Centre in Leyland/Preston?
  96. tom83

Battery Dead and Car is deadlocked - Unable to get in.

As above, the key in the drivers door, should open just the drivers door. When I parked my EP3 over winter, I would lock the car on the fob, and then disconnect the battery, and shut the drivers door with the handle held up, which would deadlock the car. When I wanted to get back in it, the key...
  97. tom83

Rotrex Charger Oil

You could ring TDI North and see if they have a bottle knocking about.
  98. tom83

Rotrex Charger Oil

Try TTS Performance, they have an online shop.
Back