• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Search results

1. davidpingu

Modifications

The new sidelight bulb should be good for a 5bhp boost :p I can probably help you out with a ballpark figure with the caveat that there are multiple variables here. - The same model with the same mods will still have some variance - Different dyno’s will give numbers as much as 10 - 15bhp...
  2. davidpingu

Handbrake

TGM can’t be more than 90 minutes away from you. I used to do a 2 hour trip from South Wales to them for my DC5 to get work done. Honestly it’s worth it. Pay once, get the job done properly, enjoy ownership.
  3. davidpingu

Handbrake

Where are you based? My advice would be take it to someone that knows what they’re doing. If you’ve replaced everything, done everything then clearly the people doing the work don’t know what they’re doing. Someone like TDI, TGM (there are others) who know their way around these cars would...
  4. davidpingu

How much are these worth?!

Yep I think the limit I’ve seen someone go to on an FK8 is ET35 and that would be 18’s with rubber bands for tyres. The majority of FK8 owners wouldn’t go there though as it’s going to negatively affect the handling. BMW I think might generally be lower than 35? what about the Nissans? GTR...
  5. davidpingu

How much are these worth?!

I have no idea what those are. I would think a scan through the Rays website might point you in the right direction or if you email this pictures over to them they’ll tell you. Your problem is going to be offset and possibly PCD too. Pretty sure the offsets on the euro cars tend to be much lower...
  6. davidpingu

Back in a Type R

Doesn’t the FK2 have a dual mass flywheel which is a fair bit pricier than the flywheel in the FK8? I’m sure I read somewhere that the FK8 clutch went back to a simpler design meaning it’s also a bit cheaper? I might be wrong but it could be worth a check. I’m sure I remember someone on here...
  7. davidpingu

FK8 FK8 vs Cayman GTS on the ring

Yes I did think some of his squeezing by people was a bit naughty but chose to overlook this and enjoy the fact he managed to stay with the Porsche. Forget exactly where but I’m sure the Porsche did a proper 4 wheel twitch like it was about to swap ends when it was braking into one of the bends...
  8. davidpingu

FK8 FK8 vs Cayman GTS on the ring

One of the best track videos of an FK8 I’ve seen in a while. Had a scroll through the comments and this FK8 is stock other than lightweight wheels and Pilot Sport Cup2’s
  9. davidpingu

FK8 Fk8 current values

Great = Nostalgia a lot of the time. People’s memory of owning a certain car can often be better than it was. There was a good article on pistonheads I read yesterday that sort of touched in this. It was about the Vauxhall Nova. Honestly, they sucked. Yet so many people in my age bracket owned...
  10. davidpingu

FK8 Fk8 current values

I think the trick is to underprice the dealers but get more than WBAC. That’s the sweet spot IF you find a buyer who can finance it
  11. davidpingu

FK8 Fk8 current values

There is that yes but I also wouldn’t be surprised if demand picks up again in time. These vehicle shortages are set to continue for a while yet and it’s all well and good Honda saying there’s a 2022 model on the way but actually getting them in peoples hands is another thing completely. I’m in...
  12. davidpingu

FK8 Fk8 current values

Oh that’s down the road from me and where I bought mine from. Trying their luck a bit there! Got to be honest I’m very tempted to sell mine now. Not because I’m bored of it, I’ve barely had the opportunity to use it. It gets driven so little I know it’s the right thing to do financially...
  13. davidpingu

FK8 2023 Type R first pics in a simpler camo

It just doesn’t do it for me at all. Perhaps owning an FK8 makes me massively biased and it’s not unusual for an owner of the current gen car to not like the next gen immediately. It looks too soft now. Very American like a dodge SRT. They’ve caved to all the FK8 hate on the way it looks and...
  14. davidpingu

370z Nismo

I always think they have great road presence when I see them. Particularly the Nismo in white. I really fancied one myself before settling on the FK8 for that bit of added practicality but it was a close call! The 370 certainly has the better soundtrack, especially now!
  15. davidpingu

370z Nismo

How are you finding ownership now you’ve had a summer to drive it through? I always think you need to drive it through all 4 seasons to fully make up your mind on a car. I imagine the drives during the colder months were a lot more subdued than over the summer!!
  16. davidpingu

Gearbox gone

This. It would be very unusual for the entire gearbox to fail. Usually you’d have issues with individual gears and not all. It’s sounds more likely that it’s an issue with the selector or as Carl has said, the clutch.
  17. davidpingu

FK8 Fk8 current values

I remember when I had to sell my DC5 because of having to cut down to 1 car, wife leaving work to be a house mum following having our 2nd child. I knew it was the right thing to do so didn’t hesitate but I honestly missed that car for about the 6 years that followed. Even when I finally got...
  18. davidpingu

FK8 Fk8 current values

I’m eagerly watching how well received that lotus is once the initial hype is over with. I think if I were to pull the trigger though it will be in another couple years when waiting lists have died down a little, the AMG unit is available and I can be sure it’s not going to depreciate...
  19. davidpingu

Clutch Pedal Getting Lower Does it Mean The Clutch is Wearing out

I wouldn’t overly worry if it was me personally. I drove my DC5 from South Wales to Cheshire and back on a slipping clutch a few years ago. Granted I took it easy but it should give you plenty of signs it’s on its way out before it breaks unless of course something like the release bearing...
  20. davidpingu

EP3 Ep3 big brake kit discs help

Give this place a try. They’re pretty good: https://freakyparts.co.uk/collections/honda-civic-type-r-ep3-brakes?page=2
  21. davidpingu

Limp mode FK2 TYPE R

Total stab in the dark but had a similar thing with a BM years ago and apparently cam sensors can do this. Seems suspect if it’s at a specific rpm. That’s where I’d be looking. Cam, crank, something like that. Easy for me to say but if I was you I’d be sick of the thing. It’s annoying as it’s...
  22. davidpingu

What did you do to your Type R today?

Just found it again here: https://tdi-north.store/collections/mugen/products/mugen-front-bumper-garnish-honda-civic-type-r-fk8 Something to do with the crash sensor? Do you mind me asking where you got yours? Were they prepainted like the genuine ones are?
  23. davidpingu

FK8 Ltd Edition BBS Forged Alloys

No that’s fair. I gave up on that idea in the end. There’s a lot of worry and concern about going for a different size and offset but there’s so many in the US that have done this and are running them hard on track I’m pretty sure they’d be saying if it was better to stick with the oem set up...
  24. davidpingu

I like those Mugen inserts but read they interfere with the sensors that sit in that area on the one side. Did you have that issue or is it a GT model specific problem?
  25. davidpingu

FK8 Ltd Edition BBS Forged Alloys

Exactly. You could get a top notch set of Rays and save yourself £4k .
  26. davidpingu

FK2 Satnav in fk2

It could be different on the FK8 but I’ve noticed with mine, while it’s actually talking to you, if you turn the volume up using the normal volume controls it adjusts it independently. Maybe it’s different but worth a try maybe!
  27. davidpingu

FK8 Can a couple of you check your satnav version number please?

Yep sorry, should have said mine was registered March 2020. It got be wondering how they actually get updated. Does it get checked/done as part of a service?
  28. davidpingu

Fn2 Servicing and Modification - Hertfordshire

TGM in Fleet have always been fantastic on my cars. A 4 hour round trip for me but always found Tom to be excellent. he replaced my shocks for me and can source all the parts at good rates usually too. Pedal squeak, good luck with that! I never did manage to resolve mine properly. From memory...
  29. davidpingu

FK8 £50k FK8

Just spotted this for sale on autotrader. £50k...
  30. davidpingu

FK8 New FK8 - Paint & Running In Questions

+1 with Trev that’s awful service that they’re even trying it on. You’re buying it brand new, you can demand perfection. Accept no less. Would it be out of the question to request a completely different car? I’d be arguing that there’s no guarantee that repair isn’t covering up other things...
  31. davidpingu

FK2 E10 Fuel launch in September

If you look at the flex fuel kits the US owners are running they experiment with much larger percentages of ethanol mix added to their “91 octane” which I believe equates to 95 RON? Either way it doesn’t appear an issue for our engines
  32. davidpingu

FK2 E10 Fuel launch in September

I filled up my FK8 today. Pic of the inside of my fuelling cover: Only thing I can think of with the fog light vs non fog light thing is that Japanese cars were always mapped for higher octane so I was told when I had my DC5 always go optimax or Tesco 99, nothing lower. Cars sold in US and UK...
  33. davidpingu

FK8 Noisy stones stuck behind the discs

I’ll have to get this one out then just maybe you’ll be right and there will be no more issues! Never hear it moving forwards. Only ever when reversing.
  34. davidpingu

FK8 Noisy stones stuck behind the discs

Has anyone been tempted to remove the guards behind the front discs? I’ve pulled 3 stones from behind there recently and there’s another stuck now. I never hear it moving forwards it reversing where it sounds like someone opening a big rusty gate. I have people say “mate that doesn’t sound...
  35. davidpingu

FK8 FK2/FK8 sportline wheels

After receiving several death threats about the state of those photos (joke) I had to share one last photo of these all cleaned up. Next steps when the bank balance recovers will be getting them refurbed and some black wheel nuts
  36. davidpingu

Thanks for all the valuable info guys. Just got back from the tyre shop now almost £600 lighter after picking up 4 x Pilot Sport 4S! On the plus side 4 x the conti’s on the 20inch would have been nearer to £800 plus the additional cost of pulling nails every other week!! I headed over to the FK2...
  37. davidpingu

Took a road trip up to Solihull to collect some FK2 wheels. Spotted a relative at a services on the M5: Fitted the wheels which feel noticeably lighter actually. The 20s feel heavy in comparison. A search seems to suggest theres about 1.5kgs per corner to be saved. Looks wise I don’t think...
  38. davidpingu

FK8 General FK8 (10th Gen) CTR Release chat

I agree they do! Puts my mind at rest a bit going down to an 18 eventually. More options available in that size. TE37 for example is not available in 19 on our stud pattern from what I could see What width and offset did you run if you don’t mind me asking?
  39. davidpingu

Is the car at standard height or has it been lowered? One thing I wasn't sure about with going to 18 is whether they'd fill the arches enough at standard ride height?
  40. davidpingu

Exactly the info I needed thanks Alick!
  41. davidpingu

According to one site its saying 245 35 is what the sportline runs on but if someone could confirm for sure that would be appreciated. Also would a 255 be ok? Only thinking of future proofing if I was to upgrade to 19 x 9.5j wheels eventually that they would have more reusability just swapping...
  42. davidpingu

I'm going to get a set of FK2 wheels for my FK8. Unsure yet whether it will be a temporary stopgap while I save for some forged rims or whether I'll end up with them longer term. The 20's will get safely tucked away while they're still a round shape! I'm sure I won't be the first person to have...
  43. davidpingu

On 2450ish miles I’m in for my 3rd nail in a tyre. This one isn’t repairable either so it’s a £200 bill. thought about swapping out to Michelin on at least 1 axle but I wanted to go 35 profile and didn’t quite fancy running different profiles between front and back. Plus my tyres are still all...
  44. davidpingu

FK8 No more new FK8's

I couldn’t believe how much the wbac quotes have gone up again. when I checked mine back in December the offer was 25.5k. I checked again last week, £30,630! I'm still not selling it though. Anyone know how many there are on UK roads? I know there’s that “how many left” site but they’ve...
  45. davidpingu

I also liked the look of the supra but the reviews put me off a bit. It’s using the mass produced BMW engine they put in everything. It’s a good solid engine but it’s nothing special. If they’d put an M series in it I think that would have been a different story but BMW aren’t going to do that...
  46. davidpingu

2020 FK8 Sliding cup holder and coin tray missing

Mine sit slightly staggered in height. I’m assuming this is they way they’re meant to be!
  47. davidpingu

Couple recent best motoring features of the FK8 here: https://youtu.be/9yTJY3lTFj8 https://youtu.be/gX4VqSw0zac
  48. davidpingu

Mark's Championship White FK8 GT

Had it happen to me once and a quick go in reverse seemed to shift it!
  49. davidpingu

FK8 New FK8 owners Q&A - everything you want to know and dare to ask here

Carbon collective (probably as well as others) do a ceramic wheel coating for around £20. It’s a bit of work as you need to fully decontaminate them before you coat. Remove them, degrease, wash, ironX, wash, towel dry, panel prep, apply ceramic, full wipe over with new cloth, wait a while then...
  50. davidpingu

Speedo inop

https://www.itr-dc5.club/forum/index.php?threads/speedo-not-working.37242/ Same problem mentioned here. Looks like there is a behind clocks type so something has been upset and you’ll need to retrace how the wires were connected up. Good luck!
  51. davidpingu

Speedo inop

https://my.prostreetonline.com/2015/01/20/faq-acura-rsx-ecu-pinout/
  52. davidpingu

Speedo inop

Hmm, difficult to see everything from the pics so this response will be made up of speculation! From what I can make out, the purple wire is running up behind the glovebox on the dash and stops at the bullet connection behind where the stereo was? If so this could MAYBE be an aftermarket...
  53. davidpingu

My Polished metal metallic FK8

Budget tyres on a 320bhp hot hatch just isn’t on is it! Fitted by the garage I take it? Would have been a definite bargaining chip on the sale price that one but sounds like you got it at the right price. Will feel an entirely different car on decent boots :)
  54. davidpingu

FK8 Rev indicators

I think they all work like that to be honest. The only other car I had with one of these was the FN2 and they only came on at the top. I think it’s purpose is more to let you know shortly before the shift rather than be lit all the time. Certainly for the LED type indicator I’d imagine it would...
  55. davidpingu

FK8 Rev indicators

Nope, dealer is right, they’ll only start to activate higher up in the revs :)
  56. davidpingu

Glad you’re enjoying it! There are a few differences in the us spec. They were all documented somewhere on here I’m sure. One thing we do have that they don’t are the engine bay plastics around the edges of the bay above the arches which finishes things off a bit nicer. They also get a sub...
  57. davidpingu

No coin tray I know of in mine. There are 2 cup holders though they don’t slide. They just sort of fix in to place. My 2 came stacked in to each other so as it only looked as if there was one cup holder but they can be separated.
  58. davidpingu

Hey fn2 owners looking for a little advice please

Yes sorry flashy when I said not sure if intake is worthwhile I meant the cold air feed. Mine just had the oem box. The Tegiwa/gruppeM used to give a decent gain on the DC5 but unsure on the FN? RRC is excellent :)
  59. davidpingu

Hey fn2 owners looking for a little advice please

You’re biggest gain on the FN2 power to pounds is the exhaust manifold and decat. That will give you a big increase in mid-range. Tegiwa is likely the most effective as it’s a copy of the Toda or at least it was for EP3 and DC5 so assuming the same. If it was me I’d say save the money you were...
  60. davidpingu

FK8 rotational thud on full lock

Sounds like the diff. I think I’m right in saying the FK8 diff is helical so shouldn’t be that aggressive but definitely seems more aggressive than other oem diffs I’ve had. Not a patch on the plate diff in the dc5 I had though. Sounded like it was broken on full lock in winter!!
  61. davidpingu

Funny how everyone says the PS4S is so much better in the wet but the review I watched said all out grip was better on the conti 6s. They did concede they felt more through the car on the Michelin’s and for that reason they were personal choice. It certainly doesn’t appear to be night and day...
  62. davidpingu

EP3 Boost Blue

That does sound good. Honda boot lights always suck!
  63. davidpingu

EP3 Boost Blue

What a pain. What lights were they fitting in the rear to screw the bumper? Not familiar with any options in that area?
  64. davidpingu

Just bought a new Type R (FN2) Bronze

Very tidy car you had there and very well looked after. I know they aren’t fetching much anymore but I’m still surprised it went for £6k. I thought you may have got a bit more than that just because of its condition. Enjoy hunting for a new one!
  65. davidpingu

EP3 Back with an FK8

This is what I did too. The ceramic will cure much quicker in the warmer weather. Bought it in March, sealed it then had it fully prepped, polished and coated around august time I think it was
  66. davidpingu

EP3 Back with an FK8

Thanks mate. I hadn’t quite expected it to be so noticeable either but I’ve just had random people in supermarkets comment on how glossy it looks. The thing I’m happiest with right now though is just how much it’s been repelling dirt. It’s not been washed in well over 2 months, it’s been driven...
  67. davidpingu

EP3 Back with an FK8

I had a friend do mine as he had all the polishing gear. I bought the ceramics myself and let him have the car for about 10 days. I got major mates rates but I’m told to expect somewhere in the region of £1k to £1500. It can be more if you have particularly bad paint but a new car is much...
  68. davidpingu

EP3 Back with an FK8

Welcomeback! Former DC5 owner here so the FK8 had a lot to live up to and it didn’t disappoint! Red owner here too. The colour just gets better with ceramic!
  69. davidpingu

Water droplets from pollen filter

This post may help: https://www.civinfo.com/threads/wet-pollen-filter.423328/
  70. davidpingu

Ha! You must be driving it like you stole it if you can get your phone to slip out of there!!
  71. davidpingu

Aimed at the same market as in Honda fans yes but attempting to draw in Evo/RS/Scoob types too surely? It seems to fit that bracket more closely to me than a 3 door featherweight which is now nearer fiesta type proportions.
  72. davidpingu

Swapped out my standard usb cable to a nifty 90 degree one. iPhone now sits nicely in the tray compartment instead of hanging its arse out due to the cable routing. OCD resolved :D
  73. davidpingu

Time for us to all join that Fools Errand fella I reckon :D
  74. davidpingu

That’s a great point Matt, US are the biggest influence on how cars get developed. We will go the way places like Sweden have already gone. Less choice on anything interesting ultimately
  75. davidpingu

FK8 FK8 incoming

Congrats from another red owner here. Fairly new to the car still myself . Just over 8 months in but it’s been a time full of lockdowns and restrictions so it’s looking as though I may only do around 2k miles in it’s first year.
  76. davidpingu

EP3 FK8 Inbound

I’d like to see spoon do a ltd edition one of these. Mugen seem to think they’re Gucci all of a sudden
  77. davidpingu

EP3 Whining as Revs rise

If you’re handy with a spanner you can remove the aux belt and start the car provided it’s cold. 30 to 40 seconds of giving the throttle a few blips to see if the whine has gone will help you confirm if it’s one of the pulleys or something all together different. You obviously just need to be...
  78. davidpingu

Stolen CAT from EP3, what to replace with?

I’d look at it as a CAT is a consumable item, they have a shelf life and they eventually require replacement. Secondly they deprive the car of character and are terribly restrictive so I wouldn’t get hung up over having oem, especially as Honda want to charge you that sort of money. You could...
  79. davidpingu

EP3 FK8 Inbound

If it works for you I can’t see adding a couple things in there to make it more user friendly can hurt when it’s reversible? Adding things to remove again is simple enough. You’ve still got those lightweight forged wheels and more track focussed tyres. A couple items in the boot really are...
  80. davidpingu

EP3 I might be about to go mad and get an FK8...

I swapped mine over the other week. I’ve done some reasonably involved jobs on my DC5, driveshafts, shocks, ball joints, had bumpers off etc but there’s something scary about fettling with a new car I think. But I went ahead and it was indeed nice and simple. No tools needed. I did use a...
  81. davidpingu

EP3 Decat replacement options for MOT

If it gets you through the MOT that’s the main thing!! When’s the MOT due now Jim?
  82. davidpingu

Who makes the best BBK (Big Brake Kit)?

Use of the original rotor with a more capable monoblock 4 pot is exactly the philosophy Spoon went with for their kit so I don’t see why these wouldn’t be a good option for the money. For street use and track days they’d be good I’m sure.
  83. davidpingu

EP3 FK8 Inbound

Lucky bugger :)
  84. davidpingu

EP3 loose rear lights and ns door mirror play

Doesn’t sound right with the clusters. I should imagine you just need to tighten them up from the other side. I’ve never known this to happen so perhaps a previous owner had them out and didn’t tighten them back up enough. On the back of the boot lid there are two large inspection covers you...
  85. davidpingu

Am I the only one that can’t see the fascination in drifting a hatchback? The golf always seemed to be the car people chose when they were worried about looking a wally in our garishly styled civics or an obnoxiously loud focus RS. Then they put drift mode on it. I’m confused
  86. davidpingu

EP3 FK8 Inbound

If it’s THE yellow one I believe that has a different run in process. 1.Drive home 2. Park in garage to gather dust for 20 years At least that’s what most of the buyers will do lol In all seriousness I hope you enjoy it. Definitely get some pictures up!
  87. davidpingu

EP3 FK8 Inbound

Still have it Fan. I’m quite a new owner myself still. Picked mine up 1st March so 9 months into ownership and a measly 1300 miles thanks to a pandemic!
  88. davidpingu

EP3 FK8 Inbound

Congratulations on the impending purchase! I personally went for the service plan. I think it was a 5 year one but a bit of a no brainer money wise, even if I handed it back after 3 years if I recall. I got them to throw genuine mats in at no additional cost as they’re £120ish I think...
  89. davidpingu

EP3 FK2 Rev Hang

It should be different but I think you’ve owned both cars and I haven’t! Mechanically at least I recently read a big reason for the rev hang in addition to mapping is the dual mass flywheel in the FK2. They went back to single mass for the FK8 to make the rev changing more dramatic so I’m...
  90. davidpingu

I watched a really good K-Tuner vs Hondata vid the other day. One thing that does look favourably on the Hondata option is the traction control mapping and how it compliments the standard system. Food for thought. Funny enough I wondered the same re. an LSD upgrade. In all previous generations...
  91. davidpingu

What tyres you on Fan? I find even standard map the Conti’s let go in this weather with ease.
  92. davidpingu

Anthracite! Darker without the lines getting lost?
  93. davidpingu

K&N panel filter added for some nice wooshy noises :)
  94. davidpingu

EP3 FK2 Rev Hang

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/rev-hang-explained-and-why-petrolheads-hate-it/ I think you’re looking at a remap. Given these engines are DI, it’s probably worth investing in a catch can if you removed the rev hang too as this seem to suggest it will increase oil vaporisation. Sounds even...
  95. davidpingu

EP3 FK8 exhausts

Anybody have any experience with this system? https://www.dream-automotive.com/products/boost-logic-titanium-exhaust-system-honda-civic-type-r-fk8-2-0t-k20c1-2017 Titanium has always appealed due to how much lighter it is. Does it give a nicer sound being thinner than stainless too?
  96. davidpingu

EP3 Stop/start inop and cruise wont cancel

Doesn’t air con being on prevent the start/stop working too? Also I believe it depends on brake pedal pressure to engage? Probably not either of those in your case but worth checking. I don’t have the FK2 but I assume there is a button to turn the start/stop on or off? If so just double check...
  97. davidpingu

FN2 shifter bushes

+1 for Acuity. They seem the better design than others though I doubt there will be a noticeable difference between brands. Not a bad job on the FN2. I’ve heard it’s more difficult on the FK8 but it’s on my list too
  98. davidpingu

EP3 Two Stage Vtec?

Well in that case I stand corrected! It must be a thing if a few are saying they are feeling it, in which case I have a bad butt dyno! Perhaps what you’re feeling is the VTC which is the electronically controlled valve timing which works in conjunction with the physical cam profile changes
Back