• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

02 CTR not idling steady??

Not sure to post this here or under engine but as everything is electronic these days I thought I'd drop it here (so apologies if its in the wrong place).

Right, got the car back from the body shop the other week after having the front end built up and painted after an accident by previous owner. Car runs fine, no engine light or caution lights come on but after around 10 - 15 seconds from starting the car the engine begins to hunt up and down. It goes from around 2k to 3k and will do this all day if I left it, even whan the car has got upto temp (10 minutes running) it will still be reving itself upto 3k and down again.

I have a feeling it might be the oxygen/lamda sensor but have no way at the moment of getting it to a dealer for them to plug in and have a look(as I'm waiting for the windscreen to be replaced then hopefully take it to get mot'd), so waiting for a mate who's an auto electrician to have a look (which I've been waiting 2 weeks for:O( ).

Also, I noticed that if while it's running I put my foot on the gas it only lets me rev it upto 4k and no more (like a limiter!!)

I have also taken the idle control valve out and cleaned, altho it did look pretty clean anyway, but same fault remains.

I know this may seem like a vague description but was hoping someone else outhere may have heard or had the same problem and can point me in the right direction while I wait for the auto electrician to pull his finger out.

Many thanks in advance folks, Brian.

Hunting is usually an air leak of some form. I'm not too hot the K-Series, but in the B theres a little adjusting screw in the throttle body that works loose over time, which also has a similar effect to what you describe.

But then a 4K limiter whilst static and a hunting idle, to me sounds like he might have a Kpro fitted, ie launch control and the unsteady idle issue are both characteristics of Kpro?

Open your glove box up and you'll see the ECU behind it, big silver box held on with bolts. Have a look on the edges for a USB port, or a Hondata sticker on it, if so, you've got a £750 remappable ECU fitted!

I thought it might be the ecu,but he would of noticed the vtec point surely.unless it hasnt been set up correctly.

How much to replace the ICV?

After googling, a new ICV seems the best option, cleaning doesn`t always work

Could also be a dodgy O2 sensor too

But then a 4K limiter whilst static and a hunting idle, to me sounds like he might have a Kpro fitted, ie launch control and the unsteady idle issue are both characteristics of Kpro?

Open your glove box up and you'll see the ECU behind it, big silver box held on with bolts. Have a look on the edges for a USB port, or a Hondata sticker on it, if so, you've got a £750 remappable ECU fitted!

Just what I was going to suggest!

I thought it might be the ecu,but he would of noticed the vtec point surely.unless it hasnt been set up correctly.

Might be running a standard map

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll have a look at the ECU when I get home tonight.

The reason I don't know much (anything) about this particular car is because I've never driven it as it was purchased as accident damaged, hence, never done so much as a metres worth of driving in it.
That said, I don't think its a wiring fault due to being damaged, as it was only light panel damage and everything works ok except the idle, but I guess you never now.

Just had a text from my auto electrician mate, who's coming over tonight at long last to plug in and have a chat with the misbehaving CTR ;)

Anyway, I'll keep you posted and thanks for all the feedback so far. B.

My idle was unsteady for quite a while...it just stopped doing it one day though...I might have reset the ECU but I cannot remember as it was a few years back.

Also an 02

Well, had my auto electrician mate out to plug in and interrogate the ECU, everything checked out apart from a faulty temp sensor which he's replaced. Still idles up and down tho so I've been told to drive it for about 20 miles as the car needs to learn the throttle position ??or something like that as the battery's been off for a few weeks. (Does this sound right to your guy's?)

Anyway, I'll post my findings up as things work/dont work.

Thanks for the feedback so far.:D

P.S ECU is the standard Honda jobby not a Hondata.

Yes mate, took the airfilter to bits so I could have a good look round the back of the engine. Cleaned out what dusty bit's there were in there and replaced the filter element for a new one while I was at it, but still got the fault.

New windscreen is being fitted tomorrow, after that I'll drive her the long way to the MOT centre, hopefully it clears before I get there, if not I'll turn back and drop it back off at the auto electricians for him to look over again.

THROTTLE BODY-I have just had exactly the same thing happen to me,swapped my standard throttle body which was working perfect for a spoon throttle body which after firing up started idling up and down from 2k to 3k continuosly.No engine check light so sensors seem ok so maybe the IAC valve needs cleaned or the actual cover for the IAC is not air tight?

Ok, well after shouting at the car and giving it an evil stare I decided to take the throttle body apart again but leave the idle condrol valve submerged in carb cleaner over night. Put it all back together again this morning before I went to work and hey presto, seems to do the trick, once warm adles around 6-700 mark. Will hopefully pick itself up abit once I get some miles on it and it settles down.

That said, I now have an engine light on ?? but I'll get my mate out to hook up to the ECU and see what it's winging about before I get her booked in for an MOT so I can finally drive the damn thing!! :-D

Anyway, thanks for all your help guys. Brian.:D

After much searching I decided to reset the ECU as my auto electrician mate couldn't make it last night. Removed fuse 6 (from under the bonnet), left it for around 40 minutes and replaced. All sorted, engine light out and after a few runs up and down the road the idle has now levelled out at a nice and steady 900 on tick over so very happy. Just needs to make it through the MOT tomorrow and it's all sorted.

Big thanks to everyone who pointed me in the right direction and of course everyone who have contributed to the "how to guides" etc...

Many thanks, B :D

nice to see an happy ending and answer to problem as this helps others in future ;).
any pics of your ctr?

Back