• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

'06 Cosmic Prem K100 EP3 - Written off

You know my thoughts man, So clean. I can't wait to get mine mapped now after being in yours, yes the peak gains aren't in the same numbers as a boosted car, but that mid-range gain is where it's at.

Great footage of you going around Silverstone, and love that pic in the garage pits.

L

Thanks G, well impressed with yours all the same, the 5.1FD makes it pick up so quickly! With the K100 you'll be flying brah. OEM+ Gang

I've got a 5.1FD in mine along with an LSD, best mods I've done to my car so far but I'd love a K100 too!

Looks like you had fun on the track, the Silverstone national circuit is a good one for a first time experience.

I've got a 5.1FD in mine along with an LSD, best mods I've done to my car so far but I'd love a K100 too!

Looks like you had fun on the track, the Silverstone national circuit is a good one for a first time experience.

A diff is definitely on the cards for the future, as much as I'd like to get one in when I get he clutch done soon, I just can't extend my budget :( all in good time though!

The FD I can't do either, I do 300+ miles a week to and from work so it would be killer having 6th revving higher! If the car became a toy/track car then it's another thing to consider.

A diff is definitely on the cards for the future, as much as I'd like to get one in when I get he clutch done soon, I just can't extend my budget :( all in good time though!

The FD I can't do either, I do 300+ miles a week to and from work so it would be killer having 6th revving higher! If the car became a toy/track car then it's another thing to consider.

5.1 is not that bad mate, mines fine, anything above would be. Always run a longer 6th..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That was my worry too so when I had mine done I had the 6th gear ratio swapped from an Accord Type S which brings the revs down to just a couple hundred rpm lower than standard.

Last edited by a moderator:
That was my worry too so when I had mine done I had the 6th gear ratio swapped from an Accord Type S which brings the revs down to just a couple hundred rpm lower than standard.

Ah nice, that makes perfect sense to do along with the FD. All good knowledge gained, JDM 4th & 5th are also tempting..

Ah nice, that makes perfect sense to do along with the FD. All good knowledge gained, JDM 4th & 5th are also tempting..

I have thought about those JDM gears too, more for the track car but my brother and I may boost it in the future. Wouldn't want the gearing so short it just spins all the time. Could be good fun N/A though!

I'm going 5.3 in my DC5, looking forward to trying it once it's installed. It is not a daily driver!

I have thought about those JDM gears too, more for the track car but my brother and I may boost it in the future. Wouldn't want the gearing so short it just spins all the time. Could be good fun N/A though!

Ah sweet, yeah I can see them being a good setup for the car and I'm likely to be staying NA so wouldn't be worrying about too much spinning up haha!

I'm going 5.3 in my DC5, looking forward to trying it once it's installed. It is not a daily driver!

Awesome, me being a novice with gearboxes (and a lot of other things), a 5.3 will make the gears even shorter and the ratios closer? Is that correct?

Awesome, me being a novice with gearboxes (and a lot of other things), a 5.3 will make the gears even shorter and the ratios closer? Is that correct?

Yes, standard DC5 final drive is around 4.9 so basically faster acceleration at the expense of less top speed and of course higher revs at cruising speed.

Yeah, the final drive affects all of the gears whereas changing individual ratios affect just the single gear you've had changed.

Update

33231957876_b8fa4a0185_c.jpg

33251287656_4dd2a637eb_c.jpg

:smt005:smt005:smt005:smt005

Yes, standard DC5 final drive is around 4.9 so basically faster acceleration at the expense of less top speed and of course higher revs at cruising speed.

Great, thanks for the info Chris, wasn't too sure about the effect an FD has.

So, with most of the modifications i'd planned for the Civic now being done, my priority has turned to maintenance to ensure I can keep using the car everyday and carry on enjoying myself so much. It is still on the original Clutch and it's starting to show, the rear left brake disc really needs replacing as do the front pads, the auxiliary belt is squeaking and the front engine mount is past it's best, so I put a hefty order in at Tegiwa for the following parts;

-OEM Clutch kit
-Fidanza 3.6kg lightweight flywheel
-HEL Braided clutch line
-OEM Front engine mount (already have the Energy Suspension inserts so these will go in at the same time)
-Project Mu HC800 Front pads
-OEM Rear brake discs
-OEM Rear brake pads
-OEM Auxiliary belt

The Project Mu NS400 pads have been great but begin to chatter a bit once hot (been told it's what can happen with grooved discs, air getting between the pad and disc), so keen to see how much better the HC800's are and if the chatter stops. Might just be my rear disc as half of the contact surface is now just corrosion on it!

I figured i'd go for a new flywheel at the same time as the clutch being out as it's past 100K miles now so it might need some work doing to it and would rather get it done now to save on future labour costs. I had a look on the forum and elsewhere online, as well as speaking to acquaintances with lots of experience with the k20's and the Fidanza 3.6 seemed the one for me. I am really keen to see how it effects the way the car builds revs as well as lose them. I was also recommended to invest in the braided clutch cable, so for £20 I'm sure it's worth it.

Really looking forward to getting all the engine parts fitted as i feel they'll make the car much smoother and more responsive to drive everyday. Along with the brakes getting replaced, the car should be in tiptop condition and I can seriously look at booking some more track time.

I also headed out with a friend with an R56 Cooper S today to enjoy the weather and excellent roads near me. Got to have a drive for myself, good driving position, weighty steering which is pretty damn precise when it's in 'sport mode', pulls nicely with the power coming in at basically tickover on the K20 :D it also has less body roll than my car and his is completely standard! Really impressed with it, do like the Coopers, particularly the new 2.0L JCW's.

Will update soon once the engine work and brakes are done :)

33376961760_b2ea2cc0ba_c.jpg

32932474044_2e85db34d1_c.jpg

33775581305_c29106a067_c.jpg

Thanks for reading!

Nice piles of bits to go on! I'm starting to get a list of TLC bits that I need for mine!

Nice piles of bits to go on! I'm starting to get a list of TLC bits that I need for mine!

Yep! Brakes went on today, they were definitely needed on the front! Good to replace all the rears too, I actually have some initial bite again :) will post an update once they've bedded in.

TLC for the win! Look forward to seeing what you've got on your list dude.

Nothing too exciting, four tyres to be fitted, need to order front discs and pads then some rear pads too.

Back