• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

17x8.5 +40 on an EP3?

Hey i need some help/advice on some rims that i have in mind.

There are Gram Lights 57C and i can purchase them from a friend for a low cost.

Is it too much to go from 7'' to 8.5'' width?
Will this affect a lot the handling of car in good/bad way?
Also will i need to roll the fenders?

Thanks in advance
Andreas

Is your car lowered?

Will they be all 4 wheels? Or fronts/backs only?

I don't believe fenders are rolled on the EP. They can be flared - the rear arches might need rolling - it all depends on the ride height.

Let us know the answer above.

Unless you go stupidly hellaflush, silly camber - you stand to actually benefit from the wider wheels from a grip point of view, I trust the wheels are 17"?

If you lower it - you will definitely need to roll your arches IMO, and use a bit of negative camber too, particularly at the back.

The fronts should be fine, however I would get some camber going, and personally - some stretch on the tyres to lower the sidewall profile (215/40/17), otherwise you run the risk of making the wheels look a bit to wide for the car - and I expect they would protrude from the arches unless negative camber/and stretched rubber is used - protruding from the arches is not a good look - neither is being too tucked up under the fenders.

This is 17 x 8.5 +30 on an EP3:

powdercoat_04.jpg

Those will not fit on the rears without arch work - and they're not a great fit on the front without geometry and stretched rubber. The owner pulls it off nicely though at the end.

End Product: 17 X 8.5 +30 (Front) and 17 x 7.5 +30 (rear)

DSCN1497.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah.. do remember that those aren't 8.5 on the back, they're 7.5 - they're only 8.5 on the front - I know that the owner has rolled the rear arches, even though the wheels are 17 x 7.5 :)

Yeah. I have used an offset calculator and seems that it will be a very tight situation.
However only the method of "trial and error", will answer for sure...

I reckon they will go on if you don't lower the car - IMO it doesn't look very good though; almost Tonka truck like.

I have seen an un-lowered EP3 with 9-wide wheels on, back and front, so they do fit, they just look very awkward.

Getting quality rims without lowering the car it's a fail IMO. I prefer to lower the car and not having the rims, than having the rims and stock height

^ I concur - it's one of a few reasons against going for rims that wide..

If I was in your position I would not buy them due to the fitment issues they will pose at the back. If you're into the hellaflush/hellacamber, stretch look scene, then that's another thing - for spirited driving and handling I would not take the risk.

It is my dailly driven car and the weekend trackday/touge, so i am not into the "show" scene. :p
I was really tempted for them. It was a good price, 650euro(about 570 pounds), for a discontinued set of rims.:(

That's a good price for Rays wheels. But the cost will quickly spiral if the fitment is off.

You might save on the wheels but will end up spending on geometry, possible arch work, tyres, obviously lowering etc.. The price quickly builds up.if they were 7.5, you would have to do very little and that's your choice as they would go on with minimal issues.

You do have right.
I now have to wait for another opportunity of 2nd hand-quality-cheap set of rims.

Andre, listen to Sun, he knows his stuff on fitment. Unless you are out to get a certain look to your car,i would wait for a better fitting set of rims that will not sacrifice anything on the car. The worst thing would be to have some great looking rims, but then lose the handling and feel of the car ;)

LOL. Cheers NYA - it's only through learning the hardest way mate; via spending money and making mistakes - I shall get there eventually, I hope. :)

If I can stop someone wasting the same money, and making similar miscalculations - it's got to be worth it.

Didn't want to start a new thread and this comes close to my question...

Anyone knows if 17x8 offset 40 will work?
Love the OZ ultraleggera but only available in this width for the color I'd like to have it.

Car will get 99.9% decided eibach pro kit lowering, the regular one (F:-20 R:-15) and a and FRSU with those wheels.

tire size probably 225, I think 235 and 245 are way too wide to make it steer properly since it comes from 205 OEM

Will be fine Earthslug.Mine are 17 x 8 +33 (Front) and +38 (Rear) - means these are lower offset then yours. My car was also -65mm drop all round, and I didn't catch at all. I did have 205/40 though, and large amounts of negative camber, I'm sure you will be fine on 215's and 225's.

Just what I needed! Thanks mate.

Happens to be my mates EVO has 17x8 +38 with 235's tires. Was planning running those for a few blocks to see if they would touch something.

I didn't even know you could fit a 205 to a 8" wheel lol!

im wanting to put 8.5 or 9" wide and 17 on my ep3

as the title says. im getting readt to spray it and was going to flare the arches to fit these.would it be a case of flaring the arches and thats it. its turboed so i want to run wider tires.i will also like to lower it about 30mm.some help and advice would be great.

Back