• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

2 problems i had for a while with car

Number 1 when I'm slowing down in second at very low speeds I can hear a slight whirring noise from rear.. Number 2 when parked idle when I push clutch in noise goes as soon as I release clutch noise comes back. Looking on forum its pointing towards input shaft bearing but the gear box selects fine sometimes at low revs its quite stiff in 1st and 2nd thats all any ideas???? cheers haz.

Getting the gearbox off the car is a sh*t of a job. Not going to be very cheap I don't think.

I have a few friends and they have had the problem for 2-3 years not got any worse. What are starting problems just so I know. The problem with mine is its more of a sshhhh noise than ticky or tappy and goes when clutch is pressed in. I will speak to mechanic anyway cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a few friends and they have had the problem for 2-3 years not got any worse. What are starting problems just so I know. The problem with mine is its more of a sshhhh noise than ticky or tappy and goes when clutch is pressed in. I will speak to mechanic anyway cheers.

And also just now I got back from work and parked car on drive there was a slight rattly noise coming from near the airbox area any ideas???

And also just now I got back from work and parked car on drive there was a slight rattly noise coming from near the airbox area any ideas???

Do you have an intake? as mine was rattling a while ago from the mounting the heat shield was attached to.

Do you have an intake? as mine was rattling a while ago from the mounting the heat shield was attached to.

No intake only has a tegiwa hose. The sound was coming from that area also could hear it from bottom more from top area. If its input shaft bearing why are people getting this noise after a while even after new bearings??? Mine is a more sshhh noise then goes quite with clutch down. Have to take it in to mechanic was wondering if anyone else can help cheers.

Indeed input bearing.. I wouldn't worry about it that much until it gets worse.

Hi mate quick update. Took car to mechanic today he has said that this noise sounds like clutch release bearing and that if it was gear box bearings it would be much more louder loud etc. I was checking on forum some people have said its been the release bearing any ideas???

If your mechanic said it's that bearing, I don't really understand what your question is?
The gearbox still needs to be removed to get to the bearing, as far as I know.

If your mechanic said it's that bearing, I don't really understand what your question is?
The gearbox still needs to be removed to get to the bearing, as far as I know.

Yes you are correct but according to this forum the problem i'm having relates to input shaft but he said release bearing so don't understand what's happening the gear box will have to come out either way which also gets me thinking the person who fitted my clutch must have skipped on the release bearing and didn't fit it last year in guessing.

Last edited by a moderator:
When stationary and not pressing the clutch pedal if you hear the noise and it goes away when you press the clutch pedal in it is the clutch release bearing.

The input shaft bearing noise is when you are slowing down in say second gear at low speed and you hear the grumbling from it.

Yes you are correct but according to this forum the problem i'm having relates to input shaft but he said release bearing so don't understand what's happening the gear box will have to come out either way which also gets me thinking the person who fitted my clutch must have skipped on the release bearing and didn't fit it last year in guessing.

There have been problems with people fitting non OEM release bearings in the past like exedy ones and the bearing hasn't lasted all that long before making noises.

Mine whines when in low gears when coming down low revs . Most type r's I've been in have done this so haven't do anything about mine

getting a new clutch towards the end of the year as its on 100,000 on the original clutch as far as I'm aware

There have been problems with people fitting non OEM release bearings in the past like exedy ones and the bearing hasn't lasted all that long before making noises.

My clutch came from Honda with genuine release bearing I have receipt in folder. So I wouldn't assume the release bearing would start making this noise its been there before and after clutch change. But as far as the local mechanics experience he said its not input shaft bearing. He also took second opinion of other mechanics that work with him. Maybe previous mechanic didn't fit in release bearing will have to check with him.

Mine whines when in low gears when coming down low revs . Most type r's I've been in have done this so haven't do anything about mine

getting a new clutch towards the end of the year as its on 100,000 on the original clutch as far as I'm

aware
Think it's like the man say's, most or a very large percentage of these seem to make some sort of whining/noise from the box. Been in a few too and seems normal ish!!. Yours does sound like it may be the release bearing tbh. Hope this helps, all the best.

My clutch came from Honda with genuine release bearing I have receipt in folder. So I wouldn't assume the release bearing would start making this noise its been there before and after clutch change. But as far as the local mechanics experience he said its not input shaft bearing. He also took second opinion of other mechanics that work with him. Maybe previous mechanic didn't fit in release bearing will have to check with him.
May be a rogue bearing, or something to do with fitting, you never know.

I would say that's a clutch release bearing or springs on the friction plate from that video it's very loud.

The he whine of the box sounds nothing like that on mine. I've also thought it might be the bearing on the Drive shaft , the one with the heat shield on that always rattles on civics

Back