• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

2002 type r problems

Hi. I am new to this but i have a 2002 type r with a few problems. The engine management light is on and when i had it plugged in the fault was crank shaft sensor but once it was cleared the light came back on. Also the car idles at only 500rpm and when i start up and drive first thing in the morning it only takes two minutes or so and the car has heated up to normal running temperature. And sometimes the vtec kicks in fine but sometimes not so well or not at all! Any ideas? Much thanks.

After clearing the fault did you check to see what had turned the light back on? Bet that is what's wrong.

Also if my car was running anything like that I would be avoiding vtec at all costs.

No i have not had the chance to get it pluged in again yet, so bet it is what? I have been avoiding vtec this was just to check if it was doing the same thing but sometimes its different like it works then it doesn't work.

Whatever code is throwing the light is probably the problem. Rather than trying to guess the problem gather all the info and make an informed decision.

the fault was crank shaft sensor but once it was cleared the light came back on.

When you cleared the light did you check or change that sensor before clearing the code?

Just checking because if it's saying this is the fault and you've cleared the code but not changed the sensor you wouldn't have cured the problem as the sensor would still be faulty.

No i didnt change the sensor im going to check it tomorrow and check the timing chain also. If i was to replace the sensor and thats what the problem was would the light go out by itself or would i have to get it turned off again myself?

You can reset the ECU codes by pulling the fuse or disconnecting the battery.

I have a civic type r on a 02 plate and it's making a clunking noise underneath every time I go up my drive way or reverse Down, if I go I we any bumps it's making this noise, I no it's not the engine mount, but apart from that I don't know what it could be, previous owner said he took it to honda and they said it was fine, but with the noise it makes clearly not!

Back