• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

2004 civic type r timing chain kit

hello,

just wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction, i need a timing chain kit for my 04CTR
i priced the kit through honda ,tensioner,chain ,guides,and including vat its near £400,

does any one know where i could get the same OEM kit for cheaper.yet the same quality,?

i have seen kits for £150 but on components like this it seems too cheap,and are prob rubbish quality and wont last,

i am in N.I so will need P&P

thanks

I thought timing chains were lifelong in most cases or is it just that there are parts that need servicing/replacing and not the chain itself?

Chain is not lifelong. Low oil, hard use etc can all lead to stretch and premature wear.

I would definitely be swapping out the lot at circa 75k imo Maybe less depending on the stress the car has seen

They were originally on the service schedule to be changed at 100k, Honda later changed them to be a lifelong part.

I've just had mine done on around 107k, the cost of a new one is nothing compared to the cost of one potentially going wrong.

I can't believe Honda rate them as lifelong. One missed gear change is enough to stretch them too far

Chain is not lifelong. Low oil, hard use etc can all lead to stretch and premature wear.

I would definitely be swapping out the lot at circa 75k imo Maybe less depending on the stress the car has seen

So pretty much misuse and not paying attention to your car and it's needs?

Regular maintenance is key to keeping your car in good condition IMO.

Back