• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

205/40/17 or 215/40/17 ??

I'm running 215/40/17, way better for handling as the sidewalls don't give as much, more grip too with with the wider tyre

Attachments

• tyre.jpg
    tyre.jpg
    985.2 KB · Views: 39
  • side.jpg
    side.jpg
    952.5 KB · Views: 42
I often thought it would give more handling but too, wondered how it would affect steering...? When I put 255's on the front of a FWD drive car in Forza motorsport 4 - it upset the handling dramatically so for this reason I was not in a hurry to modify the width in real life, in case in messed up the steering. You see, my theory is, Honda spent millions in the R&D of the Type R, be it EK, EP or FN...if they thought 215's were better, why would they put 205's on if 215's were better? (forgive my ignorance if the answer is obvious but I am hoping this might be a good question!?) :lol:

Very good question......i think 255's are a little too wide for a FWD car though, but in my opinion the 215's are not that much wider than 205's, it's only slightly wider & provides better grip when accelerating from standstill and in the wet & they don't mess the steering up at all, i don't get any rubbing even with a car full or on full lock, even though the car is lowered 30mm too, i've owned my car for 5 years & i've always had this setup, i've even done a few track days, infact when i drive my mates standard Type R it feels weird, steering feels too light, whilst with mine i feel as if i get better feedback.

Very true you saying Honda have spent millions in the R&D of the Type R, but they've spent millions more on other areas of the car too, but people still modify them ie. intake, exhaust, ecu, suspension, so why shouldn't tyre's be on there too lol, look at the Best Motoring videos & you will see that all modified Honda's on there have different tyre sizes & it's proven to improve the handling in the videos.....but it all comes down to preference end of the day, i like the 215's & i'm going stay with them, best thing for you is to have a go in a Type R with 215's & see what you reckon....sorry for the long reply, but i hope it helps...:D

awesome reply! I might price up some 215's this morning! I like the the fact you say the steering feels light in a Civic with 205's - I agree entirely. If 215's make it a bit more pronounced then that would suit me down to the ground... (I agree that 255's are very wide for a FWD car, it was kind of a test in forza to see what the extreme results would be)
Do you run 205's on the back or 215's all round? My guess would be all round for better stability and less (potential) oversteer as 215's on the front and 205's may be more likely to 'catch you out'....

Yeah I run 215's all round, Bridgestone RE050A's, a bonus with these is that they're cheaper than the 205's lol, oversteer has reduced loads too, you will not be disappointed lol...

205s look better I think. Plus in theory the 205 will have less wall movement as the tyre is slightly more stretched onto the rim than the 215. Obviously not Drift amounts. But I heard that one size is more common than the other and is therefore cheaper to get hold of.

Are Kumho any good? Kumho KU39's? They have 91% all round on tyrereviews.co.uk and are only £60.... a good rating for a very cheap tyre.... are they on par with Falken? Definately going to 215's....thanks Earthslug!

I was thinking the same thing recently tyre wise, but went for a 215/40/17 prada spec 2. Seems that a lot of people don;t rate them on here but they handle fine in the rain if you don;t drive like an idiot. Even managed to drive up my steep road (quite steep actually) overtaking people in 4x4s and cars with snow tyres the other day when it decided to fall.

Only downside was it took 3 blokes to put 1 tyre on an alloy. Quite funny to watch but they are bloody stiff, which is good in my opinion. :D

Back