• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

2nd time for water temp gauge rise !

Hi all , i am worried and a bit confused as for the second time my water temperature gauge has been on the rise but quite far apart like maybe 4 weeks apart (only had it 2 months) , now i know why cars might do this but i just to be really frank didn't expect it from my k20 bullet, so i ask on 111000 miles only missed 2 services not the most recent ones either why? is this common ? could it be a faulty fan as when i give it a decent rev the fan kicks in and the temp goes down?
any help would be a great help many thanks

it's never gone in the red just gone up 3/4 then a decent rev recovers it

My gauge has never moved above 1/3 of the range. Even in summer city driving.

I would start with;

Check there is enough coolant in the system; with engine completely cold take cap of radiator and check the fluid is visible, then discover how much is in your header tank (you'll have to dip test it).

Check the condition of the radiator, check the elements are not completely blocked, or all completley folded over, no leaks or bodged repairs. Also check some previous owner hasn't put a baffle infront of it for some reason.

No leaks on ground when parked?

Is the fan missing any blades?

When was the coolant last changed? Have you topped it up with water? If so how much?

Thermostat may be shot. (Not tripping at the correct temp)

Perhaps it could be water pump?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a reserve tank on the EP3 no a header tank and there's 'min' and 'max' markers on the side to see how much is in it.

Yes sorry misuse of words, its not pressurised.

I noticed there are marks, but how the hell do you see them properly, without removing the front bumper? Ive always dip tested it.

I noticed there are marks, but how the hell do you see them properly, without removing the front bumper? Ive always dip tested it.

The marks are on the engine side of the tank, it can help to shine a torch through the grille....

if the car is has done over 100k miles it is likely that the coolant system is not as effective as it once was. waterpump and thermostat have a finite lifespan.

infact when i buy a car with over 100k and i am going to keep it for any period of time i get the waterpump and thermostat replaced as a matter of course. this will involve a coolant flush as the system is emptied. this will also highlight other potential faults in the cooling system such as perished pipes or radiator.

the cost of parts is negligable.

So hold on it's risen to 3/4 then dropped when you have driven it?

Well i was pottering behind a bus which stopped at some lights then thats when i noticed,the idle was horrible and temp was rising so when the bus got to the stop i went around it with some pace a quick blip of the throtle and the got to a garage only 2secs from where i went around the bus parked up left it on and it came down left it to idle for 5mins and it was fine odd i know but thats what confused me

Thanks guys ill check these things and hit back if i find it by the way how do i dip test?

You don't need to dip test. You should be able to see the some of the reserve tank through the bumper from the front when on your hands and knees. Wobble the top of the filler spout to get the the fluid to move, the max/min marks are quite hard to see, but are there.

:cool:All sorted! The coolant when i checked the warm engine was visable but on a cold morning on re-check had vanished thus my problem so i topped it up and continue to check and now it seeems to be fine fingers crossed thanks for your help:lol:

Keep a close eye on it. It shouldn't just dissapear. Most people wont check it from one service to another. According to my service manaul it should be replaced every 10 years or 120,000miles (although some details in the manual seem to be disputed) But I would replace it sooner than that. As if previous owners have dilited it down with water top ups, it will be less effective.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back