• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FN2 3rd Gear Issues.

I have noticed that on occasions that 3rd gear does not engage properly, or the gear leaver pops out. It normally happens when the car is cold. This is on an 09 FN2 with factory warranty until April 12.

I read that this can be cured by a warranty fix. Is this so? Has anyone else had this issue and sorted it? What is the fix?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
HondaHintsandTipsMar.jpg

Text book description of #2. I had it fixed on mine.

Is only supposed to affect 2007 cars so you've either got a late registered car or it is affecting more than Honda thought.

Great stuff thanks. It is a late 2008 build - 2009 registered.

Strange, I will speak to my local Honda garage.

If they accepted the work would they swap the clutch out at the same time? [with me paying the cost of a clutch of course!].

Depends on how nice the dealer is.

I have heard of people getting LSDs fitted while their car has been in for this job, but I would think of that as the exception and not the norm.

Clutch shouldn't be too much of an ask though.

Fabtastic post,have just brought a 2007 type r and thought it was me being a muppet,changing from 2nd to 3rd it just pops out of gear when cold.

thanks
tim1830

I have Changed gearbox oil, and also got used to the car now - not had one instance since. Silky smooth.

I have Changed gearbox oil, and also got used to the car now - not had one instance since. Silky smooth.

Me personally for peace of mind would still take it in whilst its under warranty, changing oil may have just masked the problem sods law it will play up after end of april. Mine is also a 09 plate and has started to pop out of 3rd as im about to change and whilst stationary its a real struggle to find 4th 5th and 6th but my clutch is being done 1st and if its still the same honda can have it for the gear issue before the warranty runs out

Dweezle - I will take it in. Can you let me know how yours goes?

Had my clutch done friday more i drive it the better it gets,at first still had problems selecting 5th but seems ok at the minute. I asked the mechanic if the dodgy clutch would cause 3rd gear popping out when about to change he said no this would be a gearbox problem that needs to be seen before my warranty runs out so maybe you should do the same. Heard of a few 09 plates with 3rd gear popping out so maybe its come back to haunt honda.

I find it difficult to engage 3rd when shifting also! Mines a 2007 model. I doubt the car still has any Dealer warranty left so my question is: how much would honda charge for the 3rd synchro mesh gearbox problem and if i was to change the clutch, how much would that set me back please?

I find it difficult to engage 3rd when shifting also! Mines a 2007 model. I doubt the car still has any Dealer warranty left so my question is: how much would honda charge for the 3rd synchro mesh gearbox problem and if i was to change the clutch, how much would that set me back please?

Your best off asking the dealer how much a clutch replacement would be, but the 3rs gear swap should be free.

Your best off asking the dealer how much a clutch replacement would be, but the 3rs gear swap should be free.

hi, just curious, why would the 3rd gear swap be free? mine crunches into 3rd maybe once every two or three weeks, usualy when im not paying attention! it's a 08 plate and i bought it froma private dealer 4 months ago! would honda sort my gearbox?

Because its an acknowledged fault with Honda UK. It's not a gearbox swap fix but the synchro mesh of 3rd gear

Because its an acknowledged fault with Honda UK. It's not a gearbox swap fix but the synchro mesh of 3rd gear

So would I be able to take mine down to my local Honda dealer and get it sorted? Even though I'm out of manufacturers warranty and I didnt buy it through them?

Back