• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

'99 ATR Pirates Black Pearl - Clutch problem

Hi mates,

once I went to Germany (5 sept) to buy diesel estate (Mondeo, V70, Mazda 6, etc). As I was walking through Munich I saw it. My childhood (I was 15 so not really childhood), more like teenage, dream. Accord Type R. It was like disease in my mind whole day. I got so infected by this, that I decided to buy. I would not regret it, I know.

So I finished with 1999 Honda Accord Type R in great condition. Front bumper has minor chips and aerial does not work. Oh, and it has 160t KM (100k miles) on clock.

I found out, that suspension was lowered (Koni for sure, hope for Eibach springs). Exhaust is different from most of ATRs I have seen, and front brakes are changed (for better set).

Now for improving my ATR I ordered some parts:
- new tyres P Zero Neros or Potenzas RE050 (Westlakes I had when bought are not supportive)
- NGK spark plugs
- KN air filter (to fit original airbox)
- all other filters (cabin, fuel and oil) and oil

For winter I bought set of Civic 7-spoke wheels (not yet decided which winter tyres should I buy, for now I am thinking about Dunlop Wintersports).

And in future, near or far, I will switch Panasonic stereo for JVC KD-R811E.

Here are some pics:

P9123324.jpg

P9123323.jpg

P9123322.jpg

P9123319.jpg

P9123318.jpg

P9123317.jpg

For now I am on french plates, because German transport plates expired and I am still waiting for Slovak authorities to issue registration papers. Then I will have normal Slovak numbers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice mate, got a 99 ATR in Black myself! :lol:

I can't remember which winter tyres I had when I was in Germany, I remember they were brilliant though. I'll post as soon as I remember.

Toyos are great, friend had them on '07 Accord i-CTDi. Only drawback was, that they were really noisy after 40 percent of lifetime.

I have seen your car (in members cars thread), and it is really nice. Hopefully I will manage same condition...

Finally I got slovak numbers. I almost forgot what it really feels like to drive Type R.

On Monday, P Zero Neros will arrive.

For winter I bought set of Civic 7-spoke wheels (not yet decided which winter tyres should I buy, for now I am thinking about Dunlop Wintersports).

I have these on my winter wheels and they do a pretty good job!

Willkommen by the way!

Nice car. Soft spot for ATRs big time.

You should bring it to JAE next year - be good to have some international members there.

I started to think about invitation to JAE. And I can say, that now I cannot see any obstacle.

BTW, I put Zero Neros on and in wet they peform better than Westlakes on dry. I had WL on when I bought ATR.

More I drive ATR, more I love the feel in steering wheel, hard clutch, hard suspension, Recaro seats, momo steering wheel, but most I love VTEC.

As I wrote, my car is lowered (I think about 35-40mm) by H&R springs.

I have driven 2005 EP3 CTR and it is more day-to-day drive than my ATR.

I am going to do service at the end of the week.
So I prepared:
NGK Iridium spark plugs
KN air filter
Nipparts oil, fuel and cabin filter
Castrol 5W-40 Magnatec CS3

I will also change for winter set of wheels:
8th gen Civic Sport 7 spoke 17 alloys
Nokian WR G2 (they were the only I found in 215/45 R17, and also they were reasonably priced)

Also I will get some squeeks and rattles fixed and I am thinking about replacing stock aerial stuck in rear wing with small 7-10 rigid one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Service done. Car is in good nick. I finshed with two KNs. I bought new one not knowing that I already had one installed when I bought my ATR.

I also switched Panasonic CD player for head unit by Alpine. iDa-X311RR to be exact. It's red light kinda matches orange dials in Accord.

Yesterday, deer jumped to the side of my car. Driver side front wing is damaged, and also rear driver side door has some minor dents. My estimation is 300 eur if the wing has to be changed.

That's third deer in two years. Screw Greenpeace and their animal protection. They are just over ovegrowth. 5 years ago one herd contained 6 deers, now they counted 35 in one herd.

I have driving license since 2003. Between 2003 and 2007 I did cca 370 000km and saw whopping 40 animals. From 2007 till now 3 deers crashed me, and I saw 120 animals (deers, reindeers and boars).

Back