• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

A number of issues with my EP3 - Any pro's out there!?

Right people....

I brought an EP3 about a month ago. It used to be mapped on a K100 by TDI north.

The supporting mods on a standard ECU are:
- Full custom 2.5" straight pipe
- AEM replica custom metal made induction kit
- M2 inlet manifold.

Now the cars on stock ECU....

Was driving fine for a few weeks until temp was running just over half. Engine light come one with:
- System running too lean
- Purge valve
- IAT sensor - That shitty intake was extremely hot so could it have killed the sensor?

The car really struggles in every gear and just keeps on popping. Also switches off when I slow down and stop, then struggles to start. I put the standard airbox on and to be honest it's made it MUCH better.

Tried to do a coolant flush today.. Filled up with coolant, was adding water and then it started overheating and chucking coolant out from the radiator. Im guessing im doing something wrong? There's no gunk in the engine oil cap or the dipstick.

There she is! :smt022

Any help would be appreciated..

Did you get that from Nottingham by any chance? Seem to recognise it...

Those mods on a standard ECU shouldn't upset the engine like that though.

When I changed my coolant I emptied it and refilled it before running the engine at all. Cap back on before I started it and just kept an eye on the temperature. You might need to change the thermostat if it's sticking shut and causing it to overheat.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't blame the mods, sounds like there's a more basic issue here.

Did you get that from Nottingham by any chance? Seem to recognise it...

Those mods on a standard ECU shouldn't upset the engine like that though.

When I changed my coolant I emptied it and refilled it before running the engine at all. Cap back on before I started it and just kept an eye on the temperature. You might need to change the thermostat if it's sticking shut and causing it to overheat.

Yeah I'm from Nottingham got it not too long ago...

Did you not bleed the system?

I'll change thermostat and see what happens.

Yeah I'm from Nottingham got it not too long ago...

Did you not bleed the system?

I'll change thermostat and see what happens.
Nope, when you refill the rad the air escapes naturally. I've not had any problems since and it's done a couple of sessions on track too.

M2 inlet manifold should be mapped really
Forgot about the inlet! Yes it'll require a map to run properly then.

no wonder it's running lean using M2 Inlet on standard ecu, fit oem inlet or get it mapped asap, will kill your engine running it lean

Update time!

I flushed the radiator, and put in Honda Type 2 coolant.

Now:

Im getting no hot air
Car slowly overheats on standstill but when I drive it cools down to the normal running temp.

Thermostat maybe?

Possibly thermostat yeah.Could be a blocked radiator.
Or even coolant pump at a push.

My top hose was hot when the car was running. How can I test a blocked radiator?

When I brought the car the radiator was almost empty so I filled up with water and then coolant...

Now it's had a full flush. I'm thinking thermostat...

I'd need to start the car and double check.. Don't really want to run it so it overheats..

Is there a DIY anywhere to change thermostat?

Shouldnt have to let it overheat to check the bottom coolant hose for temp
After its been running/idleing for 10 mins check ALL Coolant hoses, the ones going into the matrix etc if all is warm apart from the bottom hose then pull the thermostat & replace it
You can test the thermostat in a cup of boiling water & watch it open but for the sake of £20 just replace it whilst its out

So I changed the thermostat...

also watered through my radiator whilst it was out. No crap come out just pure water....

started the car and after 10 minutes temperature just shot up. Still no hot air through the vents. Also bottom hose wasn't hot and top hose was piping hot

Back