• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

A question which everyone has a different answer to ref N1.

Hello

Ive just purchased a Spoon n1 and Bung and ive heard various rumours as follows:

You shouldnt Vtec your car with bung in place.

Having bung in exhaust restricts air flow and can damage your engine if you VTEC with it in place.

Well, a friend who knows Ant from Spoon rang him yesterday and he said that this is tripe and not the case at all.

I cant see why a bung designed to restrict sound for when on track could detract from performance and cause problems.

Can anyone shed any light on this.

Im on track at Bruntingthorpe and end of May and i want to make sure its fine to run this bung whilst caning it past Saxos at 8000rpm

Paul

Surely the bung would just act like a restrictor?

For instance like a less free-flowing system.

Shouldn't cause any damage

As with the above too...might not be as free flowing or loud...but shouldn't cause problems over a short perido of time like a track day.

Not sure I'd leave one in full time though.

I cant see just the N1 back box causing you to go over the Db level for any track. Surely a Saxo with a BTB system and TB's would be louder!! :lol:

Redcap said:
Chief said:
Think tp blew the baffles in his B-pipe due to the bung being in? :?:

Must be the bung and not all the other mods he's running :roll: :wink:

It will increase the pressure in the exhaust system so it could put more stress on the baffles i guess.

It's also alters your a/f ratios which HAS been proven!

It is restrictive had to run one at donnington, in the end found it better to run without it and change gear at 7000rpm.
Depending on your other mods and the map you are running as Nick has said it must effect your a/f ratio and increase back pressure.

Surely a Saxo with a BTB system and TB's would be louder!!

Well no the BTB race system on the Saxo is 80db and passes sound restrictions at motorsport circuits.

I know from experience.

The Spoon exhaust is nearer to 100db and 95db with muffler so considerably louder.

20db increase is very noticeable to the ear at 100meters.

I am changing my exhaust to one I can run without the bung in for this reason. Not that I think it will damage the engine, but as I now commute everyday 80 miles return I am having to keep the bung in (Top gear system, Jackson Header) all the time wheras I only ran it in on the odd days.

So just to be safe I am looking at a few options, Toda or Buddy Club Spec4 that I can run day to day with no bung.

Of course I will have to get the car remapped to account for this.

(have to say a 'we' bit troubled by the split Toda a few posts up, will be watching that post with interest)

You'll be down on power using the bung. It feels really strained in VTEC. Rumour has it you'll loose about 10 bhp with the bung in, although I've never done an r/r run with one in.

Back