• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Adjusting the Clutch

Hi all, my clutch needs adjusting as the biting point is too low down, as in I barely lift the clutch and the car is already at biting point..

Are we able to adjust the clutch on ep3's?

I know its usually a straight forward job just wondering if anyone else has come across this?

The clutch isnt slipping at all, which indicates it aint on its way out..

Any help appreciated!

Sam

how many miles has the car done, do you have any history? the clutch goes anytime after 70k.

Its a 54plate done just over 65k... Biting point really low, are the clutch's hydraulic or cable?

Is it a case of adjusting it or does this sound like a new clutch is gonna be needed?

Cheers

Edit- no history, car has been sound!

Last edited by a moderator:
65k is new clutch territory. i don't know if they can be adjusted sorry. new clutches are about 200 plus half days labour. looking around 350-500 depending on garage.

Damn I was hoping for better news.. Ok mate cheers for the help!

Would the standard OEM clutch be a suitable replacement or is it worth upgrading to an aftermarket one?

Im not looking to go OTT with power gain mods, so maybe the OEM would be the cheaper option?

oem/exceedy or however you spell it are generally considered fine for the job. i don't know much about the civic clutches and whether or not they can be adjusted so you might be in luck. as the car still has a couple of thousand miles left on the clutch keep your eyes peeled on the classified sections on here and civic type r owners club, you might get someone flogging a new clutch on the cheap, save you some money.

Yeah if someone in the know how knows if these can be adjusted on the ep3 then please let me know.. ;)

Thanks for your help Rossy

Sam

The clutch is hydraulically operated and is therefore self adjusting, other than bleeding it there's nothing you can do. As rossy says, it's most likely time for a new clutch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for confirming that mate! Seen an Exedy OEM Clutch Kit from Tewiga Imports.. £155 plus postage.. as I wont be wacking a turbo on I think this would suffice..

The clutch is hydraulically operated and is therefore self adjusting, other than bleeding it there's nothing you can do. As rossy says, it's most likely time for a new clutch.

This is not entirely true.
Assuming the EP3 has a similar/same set up to the DC5, The clutch can be adjusted like so.

To quote VT-Doo off the DC5 Forum
VT-Doo said:
Recently there have been a number of people complaining about their clutches and/or crunching while going into gear.
These complaints can be solved with just a few checks & adjustments.

First of all you have to make sure your gearbox oil is fresh. The number of people who do not even consider this is shockingly bad.
There are many brands out there claiming to be the best, personally I use Honda MTF III.

Another vastly overlooked fluid is the clutch fluid itself. This is easily changed, the hardest part will be getting the right amount of access to the slave cylinder.

These both need to be addressed before you adjust the clutch.

There is no point adjusting the the clutch if you're pushing against air and dirt.

To adjust the clutch you only need a 12mm open-ended spanner.
As you can see in the picture below the top of the clutch pedal pushes on a rod in the clutch master cylinder through the firewall.

DSCF1268.jpg

1) Loosen the 12mm locking nut (clockwise - looking at the firewall from inside the car).
2) Rotate the rod to adjust the clutch
3) Push against the clutch pedal with your hand and re-tighten the locking nut.

Depending on the result you're after depends on what way you turn the rod - experiment.

If you are experiencing a slight crunch at high revs there is a high chance the clutch is not disengaging fully; or, if your biting point is too low to the floor you need to lengthen the rod to remove the free-play.

Longer rod: moves biting point up.
Shorter rod: moves biting point down.

I must stress, if you are having problems with a low biting point you need to first change the clutch fluid.

*I have read this over to myself many times and am still not completely satisfied. I will continue to edit this post with any information I have been too vague on or have completely missed out.*

hi mate i have just been through the whole clutch process. the low biting point is knackerd springs rather that the friction plate, and is becoming a common problem. the only fix is to have a new clutch fitted :(

my biting point was low from around 67k but i had the clutch fitted at 72k so it was quite gradual.

http://type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/s...ecommendations.&highlight=clutch+biting+point

http://type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/s...lutch-bleeding.&highlight=clutch+biting+point

Hi Griffin just had a good read of your thread, very helpful mate cheers!!

In the first thread you said you spent £365, did you source the clutch yourself and get TGM to fit it? If so, any links to the exact clutch would be very helpful!

I see your in Luton aswell mate.. Im gathering you own an ep3?

Sam

Your a star mate cheers!!! Thats the exact clutch kit I found.. nice work! :smt023

Just gave them a ring but theyre shut, will try again after christmas and let you know how I get on..

Sam

65k is new clutch territory. i don't know if they can be adjusted sorry. new clutches are about 200 plus half days labour. looking around 350-500 depending on garage.

i didn't make it clear that the 350-500 was the total for the clutch and the labour, not that you would pay that much labour on top. griff's contact confirms this. if you can get to bicester i can get the clutch done for 200 or less, he might be able to source you a clutch cheaper than the excedy one that griff posted, but 165 is a very fair price.

Bicester is about an hour away, Houghten Regis only down the road from me so I will try Griffin's mechanic first and see what labour costs this Andy comes up with first..

Rossy, is your contact private or business run?

its a business. i'm friends with chris the owner; http://www.autotorque.net/ feel free to get a quote from him mention me & cash job.

they are actually halfway between aylesbianry and bicester so its slightly closer from luton.

its a business. i'm friends with chris the owner; http://www.autotorque.net/ feel free to get a quote from him mention me & cash job.

they are actually halfway between aylesbianry and bicester so its slightly closer from luton.

Just spoke to Chris now, he seems sound! Quoted me £200 cash for the labour and is seeing if he can source the Exedy OEM Clutch cheaper than the above link off ebay.

You use these guys much Rossy?

been using chris for the last 4 or 5 years. chris is safe, one of my other good friends i have known for donkeys years works with him. i don't get anyone else to do work on my cars.

Back