• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Advice on insurance claim needed

Hi guys

Unfortunately I had an accident last night and by the looks of it my car is a total loss.
To say I'm gutted is a massive understatement. To be honest I feel like I'm grieving a loss in the family its that bad. Had the car since I was 21 and spent so much time and money building it up over the years. Really became emotionally attached which I guess is always a bad thing! Spent the last 6 months building it again with a few additional mods including a charge cooler for the jrsc!

So.....on to insurance. I really don't know what to do as I've never been in this situation. I have came to the conclusion that I can't let go of the car. Even if it takes me two year to fix her up then that's what I'll do.

So my question is what is the best course of action for me?

Thanks so much for any advice!

Regarding the car: based on your other thread maybe you could salvage the engine and mods etc and transplant them into another car, CTR's are cheap now and if you will be doing a full rebuild this may be a good option? depending on how much damage there is to the relevant parts.

Re the insurance, If they declare it a total loss you may be able to buy it back from them but then again you may not depends on the company.

Would you 100% have to get them involved if there was no other damage other than to your car? I'm not sure on that so maybe someone can clarify.

Again gutted to hear this mate, would have been interesting to see the car seeing as your in my neck of the UK.

Neil

Thanks Neil.

Yeah the mods in the engine are spot on, no damage at all. So yeah your right in what your saying, type-r are pretty cheap now so I could do a transplant. It's just the sentimental value I'm struggling to let go of. Having the engine in another type-r just wouldn't be the same. But I guess I'm left with no choice!
It's horrible mate, I hope you or anyone on here never experience it.
I guess time will tell. I'll speak to Adrian flux tomorrow.
Thanks bud

Thanks Neil.

Yeah the mods in the engine are spot on, no damage at all. So yeah your right in what your saying, type-r are pretty cheap now so I could do a transplant. It's just the sentimental value I'm struggling to let go of. Having the engine in another type-r just wouldn't be the same. But I guess I'm left with no choice!
It's horrible mate, I hope you or anyone on here never experience it.
I guess time will tell. I'll speak to Adrian flux tomorrow.
Thanks bud

I wrote off a car in my younger days so I kind of know how you feel, I wasn't as attached to it as I am my R though.

Hope you get it sorted man, where about in Scotland are you?

Now, I am not suggesting you have undeclared mods on the car at all, but it will be worth looking at the insured value of them.

If you make a claim, and it's paid out, the car is theirs. As is everything bolted to it. You may find out that a JRSC is only valued at £400 for instance, it depends on the details.

If you keep the car and don't claim, it will need a full engineers report before it can be insured again. However, you could save money long term from telling the insurance company it's been crashed, but you do not intend to make a claim, pick up a solid rolling shell and transfer over parts.

Realistically it's going to cost you £4k to pick up a decent condition base car, if you want a facelift. Then there is also the issue about declaring to insurance companies your driving history for the last 3 years, including any claims or glass damage, IIRC.

That said, in4pic's.

Now, I am not suggesting you have undeclared mods on the car at all, but it will be worth looking at the insured value of them.

If you make a claim, and it's paid out, the car is theirs. As is everything bolted to it. You may find out that a JRSC is only valued at £400 for instance, it depends on the details.

If you keep the car and don't claim, it will need a full engineers report before it can be insured again. However, you could save money long term from telling the insurance company it's been crashed, but you do not intend to make a claim, pick up a solid rolling shell and transfer over parts.

Realistically it's going to cost you £4k to pick up a decent condition base car, if you want a facelift. Then there is also the issue about declaring to insurance companies your driving history for the last 3 years, including any claims or glass damage, IIRC.

That said, in4pic's.

This is a nightmare! Really don't know what to do. Here are some pics.
6ytu5ydy.jpg
zajeseta.jpg
2ynanyhe.jpg
5uty7eme.jpg
5ymehata.jpg
asapumaj.jpg
me6e5aqy.jpg
ymetasub.jpg
zesaru6u.jpg

Update

Insurance are sending an inspector on Tuesday next week. They say I'll receive two offers. 1 will be full settlement and they keep the car with the mods. 2 reduced settlement and I get to keep the engine and mods however they will require the shell after I'm done stripping it if it's a class B. Class b being car unsafe to be put back on the road and cannot be retained by me.
I'm really looking to keep the engine and mods, so in your opinions, am I likely to be offered peanuts? And could I withdraw my claim after they have categorised the car?
Thanks

Thank fcuk you are okay.

Personally I would keep insurance involvement to a minimum & transplant parts onto another car ( ideally one with a broken engine )

How would it work if they already know about the modifications? They are all declared and insured like for like?
I know for a fact though they will offer me peanuts.

As they already know about the crash, you will need to declare it on all future policies, may as well get some money for it. Ask for a settlement minus the like for like on mods.

Never know, could cover the cost of a rolling shell.

Thanks guys.
That's all I'm hoping for really is enough money to cover buying another car or if that's not possible then a shell would be okay.
I've been told that if they apply a category B to the car I am not allowed to retain the car. However they came to a verbal agreement over the phone that if it was a category b, which it will be, then they will allow me to retain the car to take what I want from it and then return the shell to them? Does this sound right or are they talking rubbish in an attempt to get the car?
Cheers again, really appreciate the help on this.

If its a cat b it is unsafe to be on the roads, to avoid Bradford shenanigans they keep and crush.

Calls will be recorded so don't sweat it.

Least your getting somewhere. I know it well mate. Currently posting from my parents in clacks.

Insurance inspected the car yesterday, so I'm waiting to get report back. However they are asking for all documents to be sent to them. They are wanting a copy of v5, mot certificate, and all receipts for mods! Is this normal procedure? Why do they need all this?
Cheers

Receipts for mods so they can price them, mot etc for records. They are only asking for copies so don't sweat it

So if I supply all mod receipts totalling quite a large amount of money, and then ask for a settlement less like for like on mods, will they simply deduct the total amount I paid for the mods and give me what's left? I'm sorry I'm just worried I'm going to get shafted! I'm guessing you know a fair bit about insurance hence why I'm probably being a pain in the a**!
Cheers

Back