• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

AEM CAI hydro lock chance?

Hi all im debating whether to buy a AEM cai but am kinda worried about the hydro lock stories I've read, I will be getting a cover for it but it's worrying what I've read. Do many people use one with no problems?
also do you notice much gains from it?
thanks

Get the Injen CAI. Best for power gains.
I've never had any issues and don't run a hydroshield. Just be careful.

This has been done. A million times. To Hydro Lock the AEM, the water would have to be so deep, it would be coming in your car. That would be more worrying.
I ran the AEM in all sorts of lovely Devon weather and never had a single issue.

This has been done. A million times. To Hydro Lock the AEM, the water would have to be so deep, it would be coming in your car. That would be more worrying.
I ran the AEM in all sorts of lovely Devon weather and never had a single issue.

I know it has sorry for another thread, just had my doubts, reassuring what you've told me, did you notice any difference from it?

As NYA said don't worry about it. I have been running one of these for over 4 years not a problem. Just don't drive through any rivers. As for gains not sure but variable between cars prob 2-5 bhp imo maybe but i'm no expert.

Not entirely true, my EP3 hydrolocked when i came round a corner on a back road and was met immediately by flood water, it was about an inch or 2 below the door sill level.

Saying that, i ran the AEM for 2 and a half years before that without any issues.

Not entirely true, my EP3 hydrolocked when i came round a corner on a back road and was met immediately by flood water, it was about an inch or 2 below the door sill level.

Saying that, i ran the AEM for 2 and a half years before that without any issues.

But why drive through it?

If you tend to drive down roads with lying water, just by the Aem V2 instead. Assuming you don't want to pay out for a carbon box.
In theory, you should be fine though. What's the point in all those hours of research and development, just to hydro lock cars on a regular basis. Most countries in the world have rain in some shape or fashion.
My advise would be to buy something else. You're obviously worried about it. What's the point in buying it if you can't enjoy it?
I've been in your exact position. I love my car, but I'm not paying for a carbon air box. I just can't see the money, or gains in a non turbo car, when I have no intention in re-mapping.
I bought a used, great condition, Aem V2 from eBay for 120 quid. Ok, it's not best for heat soak in the summer months, but what a hoot !!
Induction roar is superb !!!!

Lets be be honest mate. It's just an air filter at the end of the day !
You'll get next to fek all power from any of them. It's the roar you want !!!!!!!

I had one and had to get rid of it. Even with the hydroshield in the rain it would want to stutter.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Buy it one time and enjoy every day!
I have injen CAI with hydro lock and don't think does ill hit water or not.

Well mines all fitted, tested out in that mad rain last week no probs I reckon *** have probs cos they ain't fitted wheel liner bk properly. YoU saying buy tegiwa well this made better gains than my mates tegiwa so ** rather not waste the money!

Back