• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

AEM CAI 'Hydro-locking' - engine side effects?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had my car 5 months now with the AEM always fitted and never had any issues, driven in heavy rain several times, no probs.......... anyway, been raining more than 24 hours straight here now and theres standing water everywhere!! This afternoon, couldn't avoid a huuge puddle, rally style at 30 mph, went through it and knew straight away this wouldn't be good!! Pulled off the main road and sure enough within a few seconds, engine nearly cut out, saved it, then again, saved it, steam now flowing out the back, pulled over, lumpy idle but steam starting to go.......... went round the block and by then it came round and was fine and has been fine since, back to normal i hope!

Question is though......... what, if anything have i just done to my engine!!?? :confused: :(

Cheers chris, that answer is what i was hoping for! Just the steam and almost cut out was a bit scary for a few seconds, never encountered anything like it!

Water doesn't compress. If you had hydrolocked the engine, you'd be looking at bent valves, broken rods and/or a hole in the block.

In all likelihood it sounds like you've been lucky and either ingested a tiny amount of spray in the intake, or it was just steaming and cut out from water hitting things like the outside of the manifold, exhaust, electrics/sensors and the block.

You'd know if you had hydrolocked it.

Does your vtec kick in as normal? I have been told that the car runs lumpy for a little while and the vtec won't kick, then should just be fine after that. I hope everything is ok mate your making me worry now as I have just fitted my injen cold air today haha

Make the rain stop!

Thanks Loxy, to be honest i'm not 100% sure what the hydro locking is, thought it was just when water gets sucked in but sounds much more than that! The ingesting of a small amount of water sounds likely, it was just standing water at a low-ish speed but still had it flowing out of the front arches etc. Not like driving through a Ford!!! Just a bit worrying for a few mins as said lol!

Does your vtec kick in as normal? I have been told that the car runs lumpy for a little while and the vtec won't kick, then should just be fine after that. I hope everything is ok mate your making me worry now as I have just fitted my injen cold air today haha

Make the rain stop!

That's an interesting point mate! To be honest the roads arn't that good and driving safely, i never had the vtec kicking in all day, so couldn't say yet!

This is what is allways in the back of my mind when its raining. am going to get mine changed.

Hope everything is ok with the car.

734265_504612456242862_1848591583_n.jpg

Rally style through a puddle......

Doing that in a 'normal' car is stupid, but doing it knowing that you have an open filter is inconceivable.

LOL! when the road is covered and you have no where to go with cars behind, going through at 30mph ish as said, not much choice!! I said rally style as it's not like going through a puddle!

Helpful reply that...........

LOL! when the road is covered and you have no where to go with cars behind, going through at 30mph ish as said, not much choice!! I said rally style as it's not like going through a puddle!

Or change the intake. :rolleyes:

:lol:

I bet you go driving through puddles at 30mph all the time?

When I had my Injen fitted I used to constantly drive around like a nervous wreck in the rain haha, sounds like you had a lucky escape mate but with the weather we get it might be worth looking to replace it with a enclosed filter set up.

the last thing you want would be a replacement engine :(

Yep quite right Pete, was happy with it before but now thinking twice.......... wasn't sure if the vtec was working today but pretty sure it is now, could hear it in the limited areas i was able to try it i'm sure. The rain has now turned to snow so driving very cautiously!

these are the biggest heap of s**t out, take it off and burn it immediatley!!! I just had an ep3 in the hydro locked because of one of these, needless to say the owner found number one piston smiling at him out the back of the block, yep, it went bang. new engine time, they arnt made for uk climate! fact!lol

these are the biggest heap of s**t out, take it off and burn it immediatley!!! I just had an ep3 in the hydro locked because of one of these, needless to say the owner found number one piston smiling at him out the back of the block, yep, it went bang. new engine time, they arnt made for uk climate! fact!lol

funny, i've done over 40,000 miles in the last 2 years with mine and i've had no problems whatsoever....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back