• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

AEM CAI 'Hydro-locking' - engine side effects?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aparantly heatsoak? Joking aside all bring well I should get my v2 fitted at the weekend, will report back after a few days

and to be fair, i've always had a K&N panel filter in the standard airbox on nearly all my cars....... would have one in the Civic too if if hadn't come with an AEM already fitted

Well, I'm a chartered engineer, so I fully understand the "risks".

There are several factors that lead me to beleive the CAI is safe if used propperly (incidently, I don't modify my driving because of my intake - I avoided large puddles anyway because they make your car dirty and you don't know if there's a huge pot hole in the middle of them - likely).

1) There's a wheel arch in the way
2) Even partially submerged, the huge vicosity difference between air and water means the un-submerged portion will demand more air before the submerged portion drew water. I could spend a few hours calculating the exact % you'd need to submerge before it started drawing water, but I really can't be bothered. But trust me, it'll be a high %.
3) You actually need a significant amount of water to cause a serious hydrolock. A small amount of vapour will do nothing. I have personally hydro'd an A-series engine fording a stream in the yorkshire dales in my mini. I took out the plugs and turned the engine over on the starter, firing a small amount (a teaspoon at most) of water out of the spark plug holes. No damage was done, it ran fine after an oil change. The A-series is made from cheese (k20 is not).
4) Hydrosock for extra security, belt and braces.

5) *Added Bonus* It doesn't have some ghey little screws that will fall out and eat your engine.
6) *Added Bonus 2* You get easy access to everything in your engine bay :lol:

PS: Yes I can notice a difference from a short ram. My car doesn't splutter and hesitate after I've been sat if traffic.

I don't know what your gripe is with this intake, I've yet to talk to someone who has hydro'd their car whilst driving normally. They're always in flood water or fording a stream. I think it's a vicious rumour started by a man with a large stock of Gruppe M's to sell :lol:

This is the last time I'm visiting this thread. I'm fecking bored.

My gripe is simple, however this thread is merely entertaining me through the work day, its possible to hydro your engine using an AEM CAI, its happened, lots, and will happen again, although im sure it wont happen to you with your crystal ball to warn you of road conditions etc, iv nothing to sell and nothing to gain, just making the guy aware of the risks based on personal experience! :) im out also, im sure he understands both sides of the argument by now! :)

It's also possible to Hydrolock your engine whilst using the OEM air box.

Admittedly that would mean driving through a river, but you never know what's round that bend.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back