• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

AEM CAI si / K/N TYPHOON

The typhoon is an open cone filter in the engine bay causing heat soak. Its not a bad filter if set up with a heat shield but the AEM is an open cone filter amounted away from the engine giving nice cold air.

If you do a quick search on here or CTRO you should get all the answers.

As said, AEM CAI without a shadow of doubt. :wink:

yeah BUT! surely when moving the typhoon gets plenty of cold air unrestricted, where as the AEM is in a confined space .also the AEM has less surface area being smaller

big bear said:
yeah BUT! surely when moving the typhoon gets plenty of cold air unrestricted, where as the AEM is in a confined space .also the AEM has less surface area being smaller

No becasuse the Typhoon is engulfed by the engine and when you are moving the engine is usually quite hot. Up to you but the AEM is better and proven

I'm not saying the CAI isn't great, but one word of warning there is a risk if you drive though deep puddles etc of hydrolocking your engine.
This reaon has put me off buying one.
I know people say they've never had a problem, but it only has to happen once and your engine will turn into an expensive headache :(

Dazza said:
I'm not saying the CAI isn't great, but one word of warning there is a risk if you drive though deep puddles etc of hydrolocking your engine.
I know people say they've never had a problem, but it only has to happen once and your engine will turn into an expensive headache :(

From "bigbears" sig they already have the CAI fitted to the car.
AC :wink:

This happened to me last week. I drove through a very deep puddle last week (it was early and dark and I saw it too late). I did all I could do and just came off the accelerator and coasted through it. The cur drove on but was pretty hesitant due to the filter being restricted due to being covered in moisture. It would not accelerate and I kept it under 30 till it dried off a bit. After 15 mins it came back ok. I guess I was lucky.

Driving in even heavy rain and shallow water has been ok in 2 years of AEM and another similar (injen style) CAI.

You just have to be carefull and keep an eye open.

It is still a great bit of kit and one of the best performers.

TBH, If I was going to change, I'd go for iether an ARC box or GruppM. Other wise instead of an open filter in the bay you would be far better off just fitting a decent flowing filter element into the OEM box.

andycole said:
Dazza said:

:oops: missed that :oops:

G said:
Other wise instead of an open filter in the bay you would be far better off just fitting a decent flowing filter element into the OEM box.

That's what i've decided to do plus i will eventually get the 5zigen intake i think.

Dazza said:
andycole said:
Dazza said:

:oops: missed that :oops:

Thought you may of

was away today following the GALLOWAY HILLS RALLY and on the trip back home with all the rain around i came across two 100 yard plus floods made an attempt at 1 but had to stop and reverse out :!: took another route and went for 20miles UNTIL the road BLOCKED with a TREE :!: :!: had to make my way back to where i started and take the main A75 road home alll in all an extra 2HRS :shock: FECKIN AEM with water :x

heard of a fella who tried to make his way through a flood in his CTR that i turned back at he FLOODED the ENGINE :shock: had to remove spark plugs then crank it over to remove all the water it was like a fountain apparently but after that he managed to get it to fire :D

Back